Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has any advice or suggestions on what to do with my sassy and naughty Badger!

Here is what he does which drives me batty! I keep my eye on him constantly, he is completely potty trained, but yet proceeds to pee on the side of his dog bed! I have caught him in the act and told him NO before, but that just hasn't helped. It usually happens later at night, and yes he has been outside many many times that night and I have seen him go.

I clean up the spots with natures miracle everytime, but I don't think that deters him at all. Any ideas of how to stop this naughty behavior? I am embarrassed to let him go to anyones house overnight cause he is soooooo naughty that way. I believe this is most likely or should I say strictly a behavioral issue and I can't seem to get him to stop!! AHHHHHHH Oh and he sometimes likes to look at me with that threatening look right before he is going to do it and proceeds on even if I say NO to him!! :angryfire:

I also have a belly band for him, but sometimes that works and sometimes that doesn't!

Hope you all have some fabulous ideas!! hee hee

·
Registered
439 Posts
first off, what is a belly band?????

ok, try getting him a new bed, and relocating it in a different spot. if that dont work, try the crate at night. make it his new sleeping quarters and not for punishment.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Badger will be 3 next week. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

He has been known to hold it for up to 10 hours, but he behaves when I am gone at work for typically 9 hours.

Oh a Belly Band is a band you wrap around a male dog to prevent them from marking their territory.

Here is a link to what they are.

http://www.deeogeepetstore.com/Belly_Bands.html

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Snoopy did this when we first brought him home. He would mark every room, but also his bed. Now he only marks when we take him to a house he hasnt been to before. It is part of keeping a male and female together. Snoopy even had the terrible habit of peeing on Susi! It suddenly stopped. Both our beagles are neutered. Good luck anyway.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I walk the Bagel around the front yard on a leash so he can "mark" his turf. He has run of the backyard so he has no need to, nor has he ever marked in the house. I do the same thing when we stay in a motel, let him mark outside the room before we enter. Just a thought!

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Pooh Bear marked in the house from about age 2 - 4. At age 4 he was neutered and he didn't mark any more in the house.

He used to mark in several different places. By the stove in the kitchen, the sides of the couch and chairs. It was awful. I tried everything from taking him out real often to having him wear one of those belly bands.

Since yours appears to only be that one place he is marking, getting him a new bed and putting it in a new clean place might cure him. If he is not neutered, then neuteruing could do the trick.

Pooh Bear's marking turned out to not be a behavior issue, I guess it was harmonal.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Is there anything that could be stressing him out at the time he does it? With some dogs it may look like pure spite when they pee on things, but they might just be feeling stressed at the time.

If there are any other doggie smells on his bed he could be marking too.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for the ideas.

Yes, he is neutered. He was at 6 months of age. I can't remember how long he has been doing it, but its been quite a while.

I did buy him a new bed a while back since I thought maybe that was the problem and actually have relocated it to a new spot. Which kind of helped at first, but didn't do the trick. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

He does this with my parents dogs' bed also. I'm not sure what to do. For now I am closing the door so he does not have access and when I need to be in the room with the dog bed he has to wear a belly band.

Oh I can't think of anything out of the norm that would be stressing him. That is a good idea though. I cleaned out a room one day when he was a puppy and he got all goofy about it for a while. I will think about that one to see if anything has really changed.

Any other idea PLEASE let me know!!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Bailey is 10 months old, neutered, and has a habit of marking his bed too. Like you we have tried everything we can think of to stop it, but failed. He will mark the bed once and once only, but if the bed is washed, he will mark it again. Now we just leave it - he does not mark anywhere else in the house, I suppose it is his bed, its the only area of the house that is 'his' and he wants it to smell of him.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts