Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Meeting the family yesterday was a big slap in the face to me that Jake may really be leaving. The problem is that he has been here six months and has bonded with me and the other dogs. As difficult as the decision is, I am wondering if I should trade him for another foster. It won't be much longer that I will not be able to let him go. They have another little boy that has red mange very bad and could use some help. Those of you who foster on a regular basis-- I don't know you you do it.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Having never fostered before, I don't know what the specific guidelines are for this - I would likely contact the rescue/shelter you are fostering for and fill them in on the mange situation. I just googled it - it's not contagious. But if it were me, I would probably want proof that the dog is being treated/seen by a vet - if the people aren't doing that for the dog they already have then what, if any care will they provide Jake?

·
Registered
472 Posts
God bless you and all the other people who foster. I think if you just can't let him go then you should keep him. You know in your heart

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Originally Posted By: Beagle MomGod bless you and all the other people who foster. I think if you just can't let him go then you should keep him. You know in your heart
I agree with Jennifer. Listen to what your heart tells you. Sometimes we are sent dogs that we're supposed to have even though we may not realize it right away. You folks who foster are so special.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After giving it much thought today, I am not going to trade Jake for another foster. I owe it to him to see this through, if and when another family is interested. Trading him would also mean that he would have to adjust to a new environment not once, but TWICE, and I am not willing to do that. The other dog with mange is being very well cared for at the rescue owners' home. I was hoping that we could find Jake a great home so that I could take in another foster later, but perhaps this was meant to be.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: the bonding issue. I rest my case..

Jake and his big sis, Gabby.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Hi Matthew!

I can't find the post...what happened with the potential adopter family? Did they not like Jake?

I've been where you are and I recognize the agonizing thoughts and good intentions. You want to foster for all of the right reasons; to help the animals.

But I can tell...you love Jake and you know that he is happy with you and the others. You meant to foster but fell in love. Been there. Just like the others have said, follow your heart. And the picture seems to seal-the-deal.

~Denise

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Denise, The family narrowed their choice down to Jake and a Bassett/Lab mix. They thought Jake was very cute and also looked at a few other beagles, but their 6 year old son kept going back to the Bassett mix. I'm sincerely happy for that dog because he had a home, but his owners dumped him off in the vet clinic parking lot one morning.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's good to be back! I too was having BW withdrawls... There is something, though, that has changed on my sig line.... hmmm... the F word isn't next to Jake's name....lol...... his mange came back, so we have to get him treated again then it will be officially official that he will be mine.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
to you and Jake!! We have all been holding our breaths waiting for you to make the decision that we really knew you would make.

Sorry to hear the mange is back -- it is one tough thing to get rid of. Does the vet think Jake might have any auto-immune issues which are causing it to occur/reoccur?

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Originally Posted By: threedognight I'm sincerely happy for that dog because he had a home, but his owners dumped him off in the vet clinic parking lot one morning.
Everybody won! You've done the right thing. I know it in my heart. Congratulations on your new beagly addition.

~Denise

1 - 20 of 23 Posts