Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks: Just a quickie update -- in the middle of last night, Maggie had what appears to be a stroke. I got her through the night and had her vet look at her this morning. There is a chance (albeit remote) that she is experiencing toxicity from the ivermectin she is on for the demodectic mange. Obviously, that is the better of the two possibilities -- she is off that med, of course. The vet did give her an anti-inflammatory shot with the hope of dissolving any embolism or clot. He also is running some labs to see if her already high liver enzymes have increased exponentially (thus giving more weight to the toxicity theory). She has had some sedatives so will have to wait until those wear off to see what, if any, lingering effects there are. Your prayers are always powerful so I know they will help Maggie through this!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm so sorry to read this news about sweet Maggie. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif I pray for both of you daily, and will continue to do so.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif My god, Judy!!! of course I am sending only good thoughts and prayers your way.

I'm going to give Chloe an extra strong hug tonight and we will both send it to Maggie. Gentle belly rubs.. this little girl is just going through too much!

·
Banned
5,083 Posts

I'm sorry I missed your call. I called you back right after we got home.

I hope it is from the medication and not a stroke. Tell Miss Maggie I don't want her to be like me and have to be on blood thinner.

From what I have read it seems like ivermectin toxicosis, is somewhat common, I also came upon a long list of nasty side affects from that stuff.

I'll be praying for both of you! I'm here if you need me (and don't forget that)!

·
Registered
702 Posts
Oh, Judy, I am so sorry to hear this news. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif

I was thinking of you and Maggie so much this week. I was going to ask you how she was doing just last night, but it was so late I couldn't keep my eyes open. And I just got on a little while ago and saw this news.

Please know that my prayers and good thoughts go out to you and Maggie. Daisy and I send her lots of kisses and lots of love /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/soapbox.gif Darling Maggie, hope you are feeling better!!

Monica and Daisy /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smack.gif

·
Registered
39 Posts
Prayers, hugs and beagle kisses sent for you and Maggie.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Oh my goodness! Judy and maggie our prayers are with you. Please, please get over this hurdle.

·
Registered
509 Posts
oh poor Maggie!

Glover and I send you both hugs and kisses and hope miss Maggie will be feeling better soon!!

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'm praying for you girls this morning. Please let us know how you are as things progress/change.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Sending healing thoughts your way for Maggie's full recovery. I hope she's okay /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Hugs to you too.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about sweet Maggie. You are both in my thoughts and prayers.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Please know that we will all be thinking of you and Maggie and praying for the best outcome. Hang in there.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Judy,
Just came online to catch up, and saw this right away.....so the prayers have already been sent, and will keep on coming for the both of you.

Hugs and best wishes from Calvin and Maggie too. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/soapbox.gif

·
Registered
226 Posts
Re: Ivermectin Sensitivity

Your vet may be right.

6 months after we adopted Virginia, (after giving her Heartgard/ivermectin each month), she showed Ivermectin sensitivity (neuro signs). Both my vet and the Merial rep swore it couldn't happen, but I knew what I saw (she woke up the night after given a dose, spacey and stumbling, and she had no history of seizures), so I did some research...

It turns out that Ivermectin sensitivity is one indicator of a multi-drug sensitivity in affected dogs- and not necessarily just Collies or herding breeds, as most people think.

According to research,

"The problem is due to a mutation in the multi-drug resistance gene (MDR1). This gene encodes a protein, P-glycoprotein, that is responsible for pumping many drugs and other toxins out of the brain. Dogs with the mutant gene can not pump some drugs out of the brain as a normal dog would, which may result in abnormal neurologic signs."

Here is a link to more info, including an inexpensive ($60) cheek swab test available from Washington State University's vet school that tests for the mutation.

Thoughts and prayers are with you that this is something minor that taking her off the Ivermectin will correct.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts