Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sigh.

I know I have a beagle. I KNOW beagles were bred to bay. I get it. its cute... sometimes.

Kody- my 3 yr old male, bays at EVERYTHING. Bailey is quiet as a mouse. But Kody, if he hears a dog barking a mile away he runs outside and barks.

Kody has a very solid recall most of the time, but he completely loses his attention span when he is baying. Its a very annoying bay too, its long, loud, and sounds like his voice is being strained. I usually have to bring him inside and redirect him, but he will sometimes run out there at 2am if he hears ANYTHING, the wind, a car horn, ANY THING!

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I keep Corey locked in at night to keep it from happening then. During the day it just took time to train him. Walking out there and physically redirect him. Stand between him and the fence, herd him back towards the door that type of stuff. Now I can yell at him from sitting in the house and 9 times out of 10 he'll stop. Oh and a couple times flying off the handle and yelling at him at the top of my lungs.

·
Registered
889 Posts
LOL I'm sorry, I only laugh because I totally understand. We were out walking one time and Rocky started going nuts over a fake donkey in a manger scene. He was baying like crazy and some guy came rushing out of his house. He said he thought some dog got hit by a car. LOL Anyway, as far as the evening goes, we also keep our two locked inside at night.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have the almost same problem with Rocky...he goes from door to window to the other door and back again if he smells or hears something outside....He's found his big boy voice so it's worse now. My hubby usually deals with it and he puts him in a down-stay and if that won't work he gets crated until he calms down.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I too am thankful that my puppies somehow know not to bark in the house. They bark when they're playing with each other outside, but the only other time they bark is when one of them gets left inside while I take the other outside.....

....well, okay. So there was this one time when Quinn started barking at a blue 3-D box screen saver on my TV. I was in hysterics because I'd NEVER seen her do anything like that. She was afraid of the blue 3-D box!! HAHAHAHA

·
Registered
96 Posts
Originally Posted By: Quinn&Grayson....well, okay. So there was this one time when Quinn started barking at a blue 3-D box screen saver on my TV. I was in hysterics because I'd NEVER seen her do anything like that. She was afraid of the blue 3-D box!! HAHAHAHA

That is just beyond funny. lol

·
Registered
118 Posts
Gracie has been practicing her beagle bay, but mainly just for attention. So far, ignoring her attention seeking bays/barking seems to work to quiet her. We have also been trying to help her discover appropriate baying moments (she is a beagle after all) and are trying to channel her vocal needs into singing. Our most recent discovery: she loves to sing to piano music. My husband will sit down to play and Gracie has started to run in and sit down next to him...just waiting to begin their duet!

·
Registered
326 Posts
This maybe measly to some and time consuming for others, however it does work over a period of time.
I am by no means any expert in diddly however this recipe seems to of worked

For noise that sets beag off, Go see what's setting them off even if it's nothing to you, it means something to your Beag, calm voice say what's there, and bend down and pull your dog in close and gently rub the side of the chest area, shhhhhing words, keep rubbing say good boy or good girl still caressing and rubbing and shhhh still,with words and say lets go in now... eventually it will calm down 85-95 percent.
When we adopted Charlie He was a hand full and things even set him off inside the house, timers , alarmclocks dishes/potspans,doors bells arghhh you name it he was flustered with everything, it took about 7 months but during this time, when he would be set off by something, I would lift him up and replay the noises so he would know where it was coming from and do this over and over again till he got used to the sounds, and yes I even took him to the car and honked horn
*who cares what people think* go beep your horn with dog with you, make noise, seek out noise and cuddly your beag re-assuring them it's ok during this time and move on from the noises and so on.

hope this made sense lol, so hard to type sometimes a scene.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Originally Posted By: gnome
Originally Posted By: Quinn&Grayson....well, okay. So there was this one time when Quinn started barking at a blue 3-D box screen saver on my TV. I was in hysterics because I'd NEVER seen her do anything like that. She was afraid of the blue 3-D box!! HAHAHAHA

That is just beyond funny. lol

OH...but it was. I tried to capture it on video, but she stopped barking when I finally pulled out the camera. The biggest kicker is that my dog is such a quiet one most of the time!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts