Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks: As I posted in another thread, Maggie was diagnosed with a UTI a week ago Monday. She received an injection of Baytril and started on oral Baytril on 2/17. She seemed to tolerate it well until Saturday when she stopped eating with definite signs of nausea -- no matter what I offered her, she would sniff it and walk away. I weighed her on Sunday and she had lost another pound and a half putting her at a tiny 17 1/2 lbs. I called the vet on Monday morning and asked that he call me back that evening. When I got home from work and Maggie woke up, she spewed bile. I called the vet and he called me right back -- he said to stop the Baytril and to start bringing her in on Tuesday for daily injections of Baytril to bypass her stomach. The vet wants her to get shots through Saturday and then repeat a urinalysis on Monday or Tuesday -- if clear, we'll stop the shots. It is now two days since the oral Baytril was stopped and she is still not eating. I have a call into the vet to see if, along with her Baytril shot this evening, she can also get some kind of injection for nausea. Her vet is off today and the other vet in the practice is not up to speed on her case so asked if the office manager could call the vet at home which she has done in the past for me. Please send some good thoughts Maggie's way!

·
Registered
400 Posts
plenty of good thoughts going Maggie's way!

Here's hoping for a speedy recovery

·
Registered
472 Posts
Positive thoughts coming to Maggie. I hope she starts to feel better!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Lots of good thoughts for Maggie
x

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Judy we are thinking of you and Maggie. We know how worried you must be and hope the vet calls soon.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I do hope Maggie will be okay. I will be thinking you & maggie hoping she's going to be okay and that the Vet gets in contact with you soon.

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Bless you, Magggie! Lots of thoughts and prayers are headed you way from Alabama!

·
Registered
991 Posts
Miss Maggie you are a favorite of many Beagle Worlders. We are all pulling for you and sending you tons of positive vibes.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Judy, you'll definitely be in my thoughts and prayers. I hope that Maggie is feeling better soon. Gentle belly rubs from me and Jersey!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Update - Need Some Good Vibes for Miss Maggie

Thanks all for your good wishes! Maggie's vet was called at home and she got the full treatment this afternoon when we went for her Baytril injection -- subcutaneous fluids, a B12/B complex injection and a shot of dexamethasone. She has definitely perked up although the fluids have slid down to her belly making her look quite strange. For folks who have never had to have SQ fluids given to their pets,this is the normal after-effect. Maggie did beg a Lean Treat from the receptionist and one of the techs suggested I crumble a few of them into her prescription food since the Lean Treat is the only thing she has been remotely interested in for days. It worked! Maggie actually focused on her food for about 20 minutes, trying to separate the teeny pieces of treat from the food but she managed to ingest some food also. Am a little concerned that the dexamethasone shot might raise her cortisol levels too much (and possibly trigger a seizure) -- will just have to watch her (like I don't already ...). Having a senior is truly a delicate balancing act!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

It's good to read that Maggie has eaten something. Will keep fingers and paws crossed that she doesn't have a seizure.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts

Thinking of you and sending postive vibes directly to Maggie too. Glad to hear she was interested in a bit of food - and keeping our paws (all sixteen of them!) crossed she continues to improve and it doesn't trigger a seizure either.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Judy, I am glad that you were able to get a hold of the Vet. I hope now that Maggie will start eating normally and hopefully she keeps responing well to the treatment

1 - 20 of 54 Posts