Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need alot of help with my 7 month old beagle. He is vicious. I come home from work around 6 and as soon as i get in the door he is jumping all over me, tail going crazy. Hes happy to see me. So i let him outside to do his thing. When he comes back in i give him some dinner. After that all hell breaks loose. I try to sit down and pet him, i cant he bites me very hard the same with my other roommates. I hit him on the noise and say NO! The bitting continues. I pin him down on his back and say NO! he wiggles and screams and still is trying to bite me. I let him up after a little while of holding him on his back. I walk away from him he comes with me and continues to bit my hands. I have tried giving him time out in his crate, walking away from him spraying him with water in the face but nothing is working. He acts like a pit bull. I do not want to get rid of him but it is coming down to it. The bitting is all the time. You can not pet him without him locking onto your hand and bitting extremely hard. If someone comes over the house he will be nice to them for 5 min and likc them but after that he starts to attack. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hitting him on the nose, and pinning him down with not help his behavior. Is he getting enough exercise? He needs a job to do. NILIF is my favorite way to handle unruly dogs. It stands for Nothing In Life Is Free. The dog has to work for everything. If you google NILIF you will find tons of information. It works great with my older dog as well as my newly adopted pup.
Also when he bites try saying a firm no, ouch, or yelp like a wounded puppy. Also playtime stops when he bites. Ignore him for a few seconds(turn your back to him). If his siblings bite too hard he would ignore then til they played nicely.

As far as your dog acting like a pit bull my oldest dog is a pit, and let me tell you she is the best behaved dog you will ever meet...

·
Registered
443 Posts
Can't stay long - at work but will offer a bit that is very clear. STOP immediately hitting him on the nose - think about it, if someone hits you - don't you want to get back at that person. Besides the fact, he may think you are playing with him even if you are only tapping him on the nose. This puppy and you need to enroll/attend obedience training. The puppy needs help and I can tell you are getting frustrated. Also, when the puppy is with you, even in the house - keep the puppy on a leash. Sounds like the puppy needs to learn who the alpha of the house is - YOU! Do not let the puppy go anywhere, do anything that you do not want him to do - the leash gives you that control and will stop him from biting so much. You might also have him checked out by a vet altho I doubt there is any physical cause for this biting behavior.

I need to get to work - there are many people here with more esperience and time to talk about this rite now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i like the whole leash thing, but he has a choke chain on and he pulls and will keep pulling and starts to choke himself. Hes not good at walking all he wants to do is pull.....

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
P3ter... ALL DOGS BITE! Remember that.

Delre,
First, keep in mind, he is excited to see you. He missed you and wants attention. Do not hit him on the nose. Its very sensitive. Try a chin bump. If you are going to try pinning him (you being dominant), you need to keep him there until he get quiet and submits. Releasing him before he submits, tells him, he won and you lost.

MLMD has some good suggestions. Try those. I would also strongly suggest obedience training. It will help a great deal. Also, do not use the crate as punishment. That is suppose to be where he goes when he wants to be alone. You want him to go there. When used as punishment, you are sending the wrong message. Soon, he will not want to go in there, then you will have a fight on your hands. (been there, done that.)

When he starts playing rough, biting you hands, try redirecting his biting to a toy. Wear gloves if necessary to protect yourself.

Don't give up. Given time and proper training, he can be socialized.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Re: Need serious help///I DO NOT WANT TO GET RID O

Please, <span style="color: #FF0000"> do NOT use a choke chain on a beagle! </span> You can severely injure his windpipe. Get a harness instead.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Peter, all puppies play bite, it's normal and natural and part of growing up. They need to be taught bite inhibition which basicaly means showing them that when they bite your hand it hurts and playtime/petting ends.

7 month old pups however should not still be play biting your hands so it hurts

The methods that you are using delre I beleive are exciting him too much and making him worse not better. Hitting on the nose, pinning him down, shouting and spraying him in the face with water are not in my opinion correct methods for stoping this particular behaviour.

As mylovemydog suggested, an "ouch" sound from you then walk away and ignore him until he calms down. You must be consistent though. It's no good doing this one day then the next hitting him on the nose because you got frustrated and forgot.

To say he is like a pit bull is a bit unfair. Pit bulls if brought up correctly make great pets, as do all breeds.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Maggie was wild like this as a baby. Not all the time but usually in the evening when she was really tired. It reminded me of a naughty two year old. The thing that helped me the most was rechanneling her energy. Going on a walk, even though I was already exhausted, playing with a tug toy, getting out the basketball (she loves to chase a basketball around the house and bark at it), anything physical to distract her.
The other thing that worked for us is "ouch, you hurt me". She accidently caught my finger with the side of her tooth one day and tore my skin. It hurt enough to bring tears to my eyes. Maggie clearly understood that she did something wrong and ever since if anyone says ouch about anything she runs over and looks worried.
I learned quickily with Maggie that punishment or "negative" corrections are a waste of time and increase the frequency of the behavior. Distracting her by replacing the unwanted behavior with an acceptable one works best. Lots of praise, with a few treats thrown in help also. Good luck. My crazy "devil dog" is growing in a nice young lady. (she is almost 2)If you can stick it out it is worth the work.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Just keep in mind he is only 7 months old. He's still a puppy. Puppies bite and chew on everything. When he goes to bite you try giving him a chew toy. Don't make hands feet ect chew toys. Make sure your puppy knows that certin things are not his. By replaceing it with something that belongs to him sometimes work. I worked for me with Rusty. If not try working with a dog trainer. I don't think the little guy is vicious. I think he wants to play and he's just playing to rough right now. Try going to some differant web sites and see what you can come up with or give your vet a call maybe he or she can help as well.. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/PuppyEyes.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I really have nothing to add... all great advice up there...

NILIF is the best, and when he is not doing something right, the best thing is to ignore. He gets attention (any kind of attention for that matter) only when he's good and when you decide you give him attention.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
it sounds as if he is not getting enough exercise. at 7 months beagles still need ALOT of exercise...at the very least each day 2 20+ minute walks and lots of playtime in the yard and/or house. When you get home rather than letting him potty and then feeding him, take a 20 minute walk to let him get out some of his pent up energy. Remember he has been home waiting on you all day.

I would also highly recommend a professional obedience class for the both of you. Beagles are smart and like Murphy's and Summer's Dad said when they think they've won you are in for more trouble. Obedience not only teaches the pups but it also educates people on how to best make a great family pet.

As a beagle rescue volunteer, our motto is: Exercise, discipline and love and they MUST come in that order.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I know it's tough when you can't find a way of interacting which doesn't involve teeth!! But he sounds hyper rather than vicious to me. I'd suggest getting him outside for some exercise when you get home so he can burn some of that excess energy off and you can have fun together. My beagle is over 18 months now, but at that age she would never have settled down for cuddles before a good walk and games - they just really need to run around and play.

If you have the chance try and get him some nice play dates too, apart from the fact that he'll really tire himself out playing with other dogs it might help him learn a little belated bite inhibition.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Duke is a few months older than your pup, but he still tries to bite if we let him. There are times we'll let him play bite us, just last night he was on my lap playing for 15 minutes or so and he was very gentle. At one point, he tried to get rougher and I told him no and ignored him. He came back within 2 minutes and was gentle again.

Yelling "Ouch" loudly did help us get past the rough stage. We also learned, like everyone here will tell you, beagles need exercise! Lots and lots of it. When we wear Duke out, he's a good boy for the evening, otherwise, he's a heathen. You really need to tire him out and then try to teach him. He will get there, but it does take time and persistance. Good luck.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Diesel is still biting like that too... i just ignor him. i have baby gates up in my house and every time he bites ignor him... i know they follow you and keep trying to bite so i just go past the gate and ignore him. he cries but when i come back he has realized that biting is not a good thing and gets him no where. also i use "no bite" in a loud voice. it took a while for him to learn it but it works now.

now when he bites i say no bite and he starts to nibble. so i say again NO BITE and he licks my hand.

just be patient beagles are very smart and they learn quick. its just if you can get them to not be stubborn and listen.
lol

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
I wonder if your treatment of him is, at times, aggressive and your training not consistent. If so it could be a major contributing factor.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Well you have had quite a lot of good advice already. Could you alter your routine to take him for a long walk when you get in? Then once back home he can have his food. A harness is much better than a collar and a choke chain is NOT the thing to use. I second the advice to stop playing the moment he starts to bite. Say 'Ouch' Ignore him then. Does he have lots of chew toys? Then book in for puppy classes. If he enjoys going for walks he will soon love having his harness put on.

·
Registered
39 Posts
As someone with at 10 wk old "baby barracuda" Bernie, I can relate to the "all teeth, no listen" problem. Yelling "ouch" only encourages Bernie, spray bottles don't work as he loves the spray, inserting toy into gaping, chewing teeth works only long enough to get up off the couch or chair. The ONLY thing that works for Bernie is ignoring him by getting up, turning your back, and leaving the room, making sure he can't follow me (we have blocked access to one part of the house for the sanity of us, and the two cats) The sad eyed "ohhhh she's leaving, guess I'd better play with my stuffies" follows.

Definately the exercise needs to be increased, but you also run the risk of bringing in a tired, hellbent for leather, chewy pup. We've learned that immediately upon coming in after a good long play, the leash stays on, and Bernie is sent "night night" for a nap. Do not pass Go, do not stop for a table leg chew, straight to crate, leash off, door shut, and time for you to gather your strength for another puppy onslaught.

Please take some time to gather your energy, read the very helpful information posted above this post, stop smacking his nose, get that leash on him (inside the house and out), and know that everyone here is a shoulder to lean on. Good luck, Kym and Barricuda Bernie /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif

·
Registered
509 Posts
Delre!

I have to say that I know where youre coming from! Glover is the same although he is calming down alot! I have been doing the methoods mentioned above, When I or my fiance comes home he goes for a long walk then play time, then feed.

It was a NIGHTMARE trying to get his harness on at first but one day I left it on for a while during the day and now he doesn't mind at all.

Glover is 5 months going on 6 soon a bit younger but hey Im sure these advices above will help your little pup!

good luck!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts