Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I hope that some of you remember me--we rescued a beagle in late winter and named her Millicent von Beagle.

She is my first dog and I just love her to death! She is really perfect for our family, with one small problem. We are still having potty issues.

Millie is unable to alert us to the fact that she needs to go outside. We try to take her out every three hours during the day, and she is able to go all night w/out incident--even outside of her crate (she sleeps thru the night). And when she's home by herself for several hours, if she's crated, she's fine.

So, for the most part, it's fine. But at least once or twice a week, she has to go when we don't anticipate it and just goes in the house, rather than going to the door or alerting us somehow. She's not doing it because she doesn't know better, it's just that it's been longer than her 3-hour window. Or, like just now, she had to poop in between outside trips, and couldn't hold it any longer.

What I need are some suggestions as to how to train her to "alert" us. My hubby just took her to the poop on the floor and told her "No, we do that outside," then took her out. But it's not the same as training her. She KNOWS to go outside--she just doesn't know how to tell us.

Help, please!!!!!!! This is the last hurdle for us, and we'd like to overcome it.

jennifer

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
How about using a bell? I know some people here use that... and it works for them.
Hang a bell on/near the door, everytime you take her out ring the bell, so that she associates using the bell when needs to go potty. Eventually she will ring the bell when she needs to go.
Charlie's Mom is using this method, and she will be able to elaborate....

Good-Luck :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
The bell has worked well for us. We started by ringing the bell everytime we let Maggie out. Then we took her paw and touched the bell so it would ring. It took a couple of weeks of really working on it before she learned it. Then for a while she rang the bell so often I wanted to throw it away but it is a good system for us. One of my cats has started ringing the bell so I will be asleep at night and hear the bell ringing. Not my favorite sound at 3am.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts