Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Millie is recovering nicely from her spay surgery, is on de-worming meds and antibiotics as a pre-cursor to her heartworm treatment. We discovered her food issue--she wasn't used to just dry food. So now I give her about 2/3 dry and 1/3 canned, mix it up, and she wolfs it down in about 30 seconds flat. She's drinking much more water now, so we are finally staring to get a handle on her potty issues. She understand the treats and waits for one after she goes potty, so I think it's all starting to click with her. She's still pretty stinky, but a little better than before.

Alas, we have a new issue.....I'm just going to copy/past an email I just sent to my friends and family--I'm too tired to retype it all! =)

Haven't gone to the store in a while. Enzo and I went out today for about 3 hours. Tom calls--he's at home, had walked into the bedroom to find this:

Millie had tipped over her crate onto the side, opened the bottom of the front and pushed the "pee" pan liner out in front of the crate. She'd twisted out of her collar, and managed to get to the brand new comforter, which she proceeded to chew the **** out of. Whether this was before or after she chewed the crate bars and bent some of them inward, I don't know.

Tom said when he pulled in the driveway he could hear her HOWLING. I asked what he did when he walked in, and he said he just turned around and walked out. When she calmed down, he went back, let her out, and watched her pant for a good 10 minutes. She had just whipped herself into a total frenzy. He told me that she literally passed out and slept for about an hour. As soon as he came home, she was fine. He didn't give her any attention until she'd settled down, but he said that was shortly after he came home. Once she knew one of us was home, she was fine.

What the heck? We talked about getting a stronger crate, which we'll have to since she's destroyed this one. But we can't have her stressed out like this every time we leave. We are going to try putting her in the crate every day while we are home so she doesn't associate it with us leaving and gets used to being in it during the day. She's fine in it at night, but she knows we are nearby.

It's just like having another baby....I swear! I'm going to post at the beagle forum and do a little research online (we have a good program going with potty training, I think she's getting the hang of it), but we are open to suggestions. We are working hard at building up her sense of security and helping her be a calmer dog, but as Tom said, no matter how much we love her, we are NOT staying home the rest of our lives just to make her happy. Heeee.

Thanks for any further suggestions....

jennifer

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Separation Anxiety. She probably bent the bars first, and unable to get through them, found another way out. There are lots of different things you can use. Rescue Remedy (an herbal solution to help reduce anxiety), the DAP Diffuser and Spray, other herbal supplements as well as medication from the vet. You've got the right idea about placing her in the crate at other times when you're home so she stops associating it with you leaving. You can also do "practice leaves". Put your shoes on, grab your keys and purse and leave and come right back. Sometimes, don't even leave just get ready and go sit on the couch. As Millie builds up more of a tolerance to your leaving, increase the time you're gone. Eventually she should learn that your leaving is OK and that you'll return. You can also try giving her a Kong stuffed with peanut butter or other good treats and then frozen (it'll take longer to eat that way). Only give it to her when you're leaving so she associates that yummy treat with you're departure. We've been dealing with this with Jersey for over a year now. I haven't been very dilligent about the training, so things aren't going too well. We just take her to doggie day care instead. I'm sure there are things that I've forgotten...I'll post anything else I think of! Good luck! Adopting a rescue is hard sometimes...we don't know what there little minds are thinking and what those poor babies have been through.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
When Maggie was very small, I had to leave her in a travel type crate, because she chewed at the bars in the other one and got her teeth stuck one day. Luckily I was home and got her out fairly easily. She still prefers to go in the large size travel crate if given a choice. I think she feels safer because it is more enclosed. I leave her with a Kong to chew on and if I will be gone long I leave the TV on.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will try the kong. She looooves peanut butter. I've been giving her a tablespoon of creamy organic natural every night (it just seems like such a long time between her inhaling her food in the morning until the next day, so I give it to her so she can have a little something in her tummy before bed).

My son has been taking her collar off, but I told him to leave it on. I am worried that she'll get out and have no way of being identified to be brought home. But yeah, if she's behaving like this in the crate, it will have to come off while she's in there.

We have always left music on for her--something calming, like "smooth" jazz. And even a dim light, so she feels more a sense of warmth. But she obviously doesn't care. Heh.

On the one hand, we feel sick over her stress. On the other hand, we are pretty amazed at the sheer amount of damage a 30lb dog could do in such a short time. I told Tom that I think she's got some serious street skillz in her background!!!!!!!

I suspect it's just going to be a long road of building her trust in us and easing her anxiety. She's overly submissive toward Tom and I, which isn't a bad thing, but it does add to her overall level of anxiety. So we are working hard on ignoring the behaviors that we *don't* like and only stepping up to give her attention when she's calm and relaxed.

Thanks for giving me support and suggestions. This is a new journey for us in this household!

jennifer

·
Registered
146 Posts
Sounds like you are doing all the right things. Keep up the awsome work and she will work it out in no time. Great job and it is really great to see people willing to really give a dog some time and work to get them to be a good dog. I really needed that. I've been bombarded with people who want to give their dog away this week and am feeling a bit overwhelmed.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Has Millie got a soft toy to cuddle?
If you are worried about her escaping why not have her microchipped? She will then be registered and easilly traced to your address. Outside you can use the collar as well, with her telephone number on.

Getting her used to being alone is a slow process that needs patience and love. You'll get there in the end, but she hasnt been with you long enough yet to feel secure. Our last beagle, Spotty, knew when I said we were 'going shopping' that she would get a treat, and then another on our return. If we went out for long we would leave the radio playing.

Our present two have recently surprised us by staying in the house without destroying anything!! They have been with us over a year now though.

Good luck and keep at it.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Originally posted by xfileluv:
My son has been taking her collar off, but I told him to leave it on. I am worried that she'll get out and have no way of being identified to be brought home. QUOTE]

For that reason, you should get her a microchip. It's a small, easy, quick procedure done at the vet. When an animal is found, he only needs to be scanned and his information(which does need to be kept updated by the owners) will come up from a national database.

All shelter, AC officers, vets, even rescuers are now arming themselves with these scanners these days.

I agree with the rest, leaving a collar on an active dog can be dangerous. Especially if the dog is anxious.

ps...scanners should be used in conjunction with ID tags with a dogs name and contact info on it when the dog is able to tolerate a collar. Microchips as well as rabies tags are not much help to the average joe who does not have a scanner at hand or if the dog is found on weekends, nights and holidays when animal control offices are closed.

microchip+ID tage=double protection

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: the microchip...is it a painful and/or costly procedure? I know that my vet has a scanner, because she scanned Millie. And she also mentioned that she bought a scanner for the dog pound, so I know they have one, too.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by xfileluv:
Re: the microchip...is it a painful and/or costly procedure? I know that my vet has a scanner, because she scanned Millie. And she also mentioned that she bought a scanner for the dog pound, so I know they have one, too.
No, it not painful and I cannot remember if it cost alot since Bailey got it when he was 10 weeks old and I am glad I did it cause you never know when it can run away or someone steal it and it a good thing to have....

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
I think the cost is around $45.00...ask your vet. Painful...nope, a teeny, tiny chip is inserted right under their skin on their neck.

Check around at your local humane society if you have one...maye they can find a low(er) cost than your vet but it really isn't expensive.

Worth the piece of mind when the collar and tags come off or are already off at the wrong time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts