Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that we're enering the winter months, our walks will be less frequent and/or lengthy. Besides fetch (which she looses interest in about 3 minutes) what other activities can we do inside?

My house is quite small and Rio is usually relegated to the kitchen (with inclusion to an enclosed outdoors porch when it's not too cold) or the living room/front porch. With either area, she's under careful supervision at all times.

I usually play tug but lately she's been getting too "bitey" so that's going to stop.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Regardless of weather they need their walks. You should see the snow we get here. Last winter dave had to cut trenches in the snow in our garden, so our hounds could go outside. But we struggled into the woods several times a day.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know to walk the dog. It's when we're cooped up on a frigid day after the walk that I'm looking for activities. She getting to the age that keeping her crated for 4-5 hours alone is coming to pass. She is deservant of her freedom and the time that passes should be filled with some activities to mentally and physically challange her. Like I said before, fetch is OK but that gets boring fast.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I have been considering the same issue. We have had unbelievable rain here. There have been a few days we couldn't walk. (maggie didn't want to either with several inches of rain running in rivers down the street.) I have been searching for interesting and different toys. I found a tunnel for kids, made by playhut. It folds down flat and can store under a bed or couch. Maggie loves to run through and over it and to get inside and make it roll. I also found a very sturdy ball with a flashing light inside. So far she has not been able to make a hole in it and loves to push it with her nose or foot and chase it when it flashes.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
How much space do you have? I know one member here made their own agility course. The suggestion with a tunnel in the message above, also sounds a good idea. I know some German friends of mine have also bought these.
When we had beagle pups they never needed entertaining, they would run around playing with their toys and suddenly flop and sleep. We have always had a garden for them. Until Dave retired we would go out for an hours walk before work and again in the evening. During the day I was there and walked them . Our older beagles are content with 3 long walks a day and a sniff round the garden. They have never played as such, being ex research beagles. In the house they love to sleep.
I hope you manage to solve the problem. Maybe a playmate would help. Nothing like two pups to exhaust them!

·
Registered
786 Posts
What we tried and the dogs love it is, in the "cat" isle at the grocery store they sell these little balls. Like nerf balls and they usually come 4 in a pack. We throw them down the hall way and it bounces back and thats when they atteck it. After a few time if them chasing it they're tired.

Just another suggestion!!

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Hi!

I can't remember which BW member it is(Laxmobster, maybe?) but somebody here's beetle actually walks on the treadmill!

I'm not sure how they accomplished that but it's quite interesting.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I know what you mean about snow and cold...there are some days in winter where it's so cold Buckley just can't walk too far. We play hide and seek a lot - not sure if it works as well in an apartment, but it's a good way to work on sit/stay. You get them to sit/stay (or it's better if there are two people) and you hide and call them to come and get you. Treats as a reward. Treat balls are great...I will put 1/3 of Buckley's dinner kibble in it and he will roll it around for an hour trying to get the food out of it.

You can put her in another room and then hide some kibbles around for her to find - gets her mind working. You can work on training for 20-30 minutes for practice.

I think the treat ball might be a good option for you if she is food motivated - it keeps them busy and moving for a good little while.

Best of luck!!

·
Registered
345 Posts
I love the idea of a lil scavenger hunt, hiding treats all over the house. Fin will definitely enjoy that. As for indoor activities, I'm at a loss cause Fin plays with about anything he can get his paws on. He's a solo player, tossing around whatever he can and running after it. most times I just need to throw him a sock and he's content for a good 1/2 hour then passes out. Good luck on your search.

·
Premium Member
3,281 Posts
The best indoor activity I know of is agility. Have you tried it? Beagles usually love it! and it gives them some discipline. That, the owner usually love it!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the great suggestions. I already have the treat ball and Rio loves it but I try and limit the amount and frequency of "free" treats. I don't want a fat dog (bad enough I'm one myself) plus I've found that offering a treat without her performing a task makes her expect treats no matter what. Nothing in life is free, right?

I have a small home in the 'burbs and I do have an aluminum enclosed porch attached to kitchen, where Rio spends most of her time. I cleaned it out completely yesterday and now she has an extra 7'x12' room to explore and play in. What's great is that I just purchased a 6' accordian tunnel like the ones used in agility training. I'm setting that up in the porch when it comes and I'm sure Rio will be more than curious about it. Hopefully she doesn't tear into it like she does most everything else.

All I'll have to do is put some temporary heat in the room for the really cold days/nights.

·
Registered
794 Posts
my beags just love to be chased around the kitchen table...
and sometimes just smearing the tiniest bit of peanutbutter inside a toy will keep them busy for a bit, but not make them too fat...

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Love the scavenger hunt, Charlie too, but usually I gave up first, tired. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/tired.gif
We had a temperature drop last night, frost on top of our roof and on our cars in front. Winter is finally here. I prefer summer though, more things to do.

Charlie mom

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
A lot of people report that their dogs have fun with Kong--it's a hard rubber thing that you hide treats in and they roll them around and try to get the treats out. It doesn't have to be fattening--maybe veggies if Rio likes them. Shiloh and I failed Kong--I couldn't figure out how to pack the treats so they wouldn't fall out!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif )

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Chloe's Mom,

I was asking who used them on here, Cause I wanna get a small one for charlie, but would like advice on it. and you can get one for your babe look for a used one, heck it's the dog useing it and it's not like your buying a used matress...

DOGS RUN RUN RUN HEYYYYYY on the way to knowehere but the treadmill and burn yourselves out lol.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Chloe, look into used treadmills on Craig's List, that's how I found mine. It was a fraction of the price and it was only a year old. People tend to tire of exercise equipment quickly and sell it cheap. I've had mine a year and it works great, though I've never tried Duke on it....may have to.LOL

Duke loves to play with his rope, sometimes with his humans, sometimes with my lab, Cassie. Chase the kitty is also a popular game, as well as drag the throw rugs all over the house and take down the guest bathroom towels. He gets his walks and outdoor exercise, but he is very good at entertaining himself inside, even if it's just zooming around the living room like a crazy dog.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Katie:
We play hide and seek a lot - not sure if it works as well in an apartment, but it's a good way to work on sit/stay. You get them to sit/stay (or it's better if there are two people) and you hide and call them to come and get you.
We used to play hide and seek a lot with just Booker and Moose before Popcorn arrived. We have an apartment and even so there were still lots of places to hide - closets, the bathrooms, the laundry room, behind furniture. The dogs loved it and it was good practice for their "sit and stay" too! We would make such a fuss when they found us that we didn't even necessarily need treats to make the game fun.

Now that we have Popcorn she and Moosie play together enough that I don't think we have played hide and seek at all since she arrived. Another issue is that her "stay" isn't all that good - but all the more reason we should probably do some hide and seek to improve it. Of course the fact that she was so scared when we first got her that she was stuck like glue to our calves didn't make either "stay" or hide and seek a viable option!

And I don't think anyone has mentioned probably the best stimulating indoor activity there is - a second beagle to play with!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts