Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some suggestions on what should be used to stop Big Ben from pulling my wife around during walks. Have purchased the Halti head collar but he goes crazy when it is put on him. My wife and children think it is cruel to use it. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Corey use to throw fits when I put his on. It just takes time. You could also try a pinch collar. Though he's not going to like anything that limits his movement. Now Corey will reluctantly come sit for me to put his on. He hates having it on but it's worth it to go on his walks. Can't let the dog push your buttons.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
It took A LOT of patience and time for us to get Roscoe and Cole to walk nicely on the lead.
We prefer a harness, just b/c I think its more comforatbale for them and us.
We shortened their leashes if they were really pulling, it is awkward but worked for us! Praise when they are walking nicely helps too!
Good Luck

·
Registered
504 Posts
I have found that whenever they pull, I go in the opposite direction each time and pull them towards me. I keep repeating this, and they realize, if they follow me or stay with me, they can go in a straight line. If not, we go back and forth and get no where.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Another thought; what type of leash are you using? Are you using a retractable and just letting him pull it out as he likes? I did this at first with Corey and it made things much harder.(Use to be one that the walk was for his enjoyment so I should let him run as he wills.) We now use just a standard leash and things are much better.

For your wife and kids to help counter the pulling tell them to wrap the leash around their waist, keeps the dog right about where you want them but your not going to have pulled arm muscles trying to keep him in place.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Try an easy walk harness.....it connects in the front of their chest when they pull it tightens their chest and restricts movement, it worked for my beagle.

·
Registered
889 Posts
We use the easy walk harness on both of ours. We've found that it does not completely prevent pulling so we've still had to work with them. In other words, it doesn't fix the problem, but it is a nice tool.

I use it in conjunction with positive reinforcement (i.e. treats and praise) for walking with me and looking at me when I ask for it and I also do the turn and walk the other direction if they get out of hand. Rocky has does very well and Daisy is getting better. I will say, of all the tools that we've tried, we prefer the easy walk harness and the dogs seem to prefer it as well. They hated the halti head collar and the choke chain was awful.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts