Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my pup Sol from a breeder two weeks ago. Day one was the hardest night. He couldn't sleep in his crate so I had to sleep next to him. He slept for a good 20 minute then woke up crying. I only had 1 hour sleep and I had to go to work at 6 am. While at work I was thinking that I made a mistake and I should have researched about his breed before getting me one.

A week later, he has gotten a lot better but he's also showing other bad habits like chewing my bed frame and carpet, play biting. Potty training is hard. He pees outside the pee pads. But when he goes in the pee pad I give him a treat. Until now, he is not fully trained.

I live alone so when I'm gone I put him in a playpen with his 20 toys and I watch him using a Wyze camera in case I need to go home. He sleeps most of the time but he also barks a lot and shaking the playpen. I think he's very depressed when he's left alone. I've tried everything I could but it seemed like nothing worked. I've already spent a ton on him. If he keeps this up maybe I should give him up.

If you have any tip or suggestion that would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
6,302 Posts
Welcome
You have a puppy. The dog should be crate trained and NOT be allowed on your bed, carpet or furniture. They will chew and pee/ poop on things until they are fully potty trained which will be many months. The dog should be in a restricted area preferably an area with tile. Did you say you are working full time? Puppies, like human babies, need a lor of attention and training. Beagles are pack dogs which means they want to be with you...thats why they cry and whine as puppies. If you are away from home for long periods your puppy will get into trouble. Did you read up on puppies before getting one? Soon your dog will go through a totally normal biting/nipping stage which you will have to control ..read up on that and how to curb it. It eventually stops. Yes they bark too but that also gets better.
Beagles are cute thats why people like them but puppies are a handful until it gets better. They are very active qnd dont slow down until about 3 years of age.

·
Registered
41 Posts
3 month old can hold it 3 hours, 4 months, 4 hours. Get the idea! Anyway since you already have your puppy, hire someone to go in there for potty time and a few minutes of love every x amount of hours. 2 months old, every 2 hours. There is best solution. Or you will end up with BAD behaviors! The time and money you put in now will only help in raising a successful living good dog.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
3 month old can hold it 3 hours, 4 months, 4 hours. Get the idea! Anyway since you already have your puppy, hire someone to go in there for potty time and a few minutes of love every x amount of hours. 2 months old, every 2 hours. There is best solution. Or you will end up with BAD behaviors! The time and money you put in now will only help in raising a successful living good dog.
Hi! Yes. I was scared of that so I made a decision giving him to my sister... they will be able to care for him. My friends told me to sell him but it's hard to tell if Sol is going to a good family or not. Also, I will be able to visit him any time I want. I want the best for him. I just love him too.

Thank you for this!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hate you gave up on him. Nine week old puppies are a handful and require lots of attention. Maybe you could look into adopting an older Beagle. They are great dogs, but they require attention and patience.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I got my pup Sol from a breeder two weeks ago. Day one was the hardest night. He couldn't sleep in his crate so I had to sleep next to him. He slept for a good 20 minute then woke up crying. I only had 1 hour sleep and I had to go to work at 6 am. While at work I was thinking that I made a mistake and I should have researched about his breed before getting me one.

A week later, he has gotten a lot better but he's also showing other bad habits like chewing my bed frame and carpet, play biting. Potty training is hard. He pees outside the pee pads. But when he goes in the pee pad I give him a treat. Until now, he is not fully trained.

I live alone so when I'm gone I put him in a playpen with his 20 toys and I watch him using a Wyze camera in case I need to go home. He sleeps most of the time but he also barks a lot and shaking the playpen. I think he's very depressed when he's left alone. I've tried everything I could but it seemed like nothing worked. I've already spent a ton on him. If he keeps this up maybe I should give him up.

I am going Through everything you

Hi, i am going Through everything you wrote, a puppy should not ve left alone,uckily my bf works from home so he is able to take care of hi., i got lucky for one thing my puppy (10weeks) was already able to hold himself overnight and sleep from 10 to 6am

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi! Yes. I was scared of that so I made a decision giving him to my sister... they will be able to care for him. My friends told me to sell him but it's hard to tell if Sol is going to a good family or not. Also, I will be able to visit him any time I want. I want the best for him. I just love him too.

Thank you for this!
It is honorably that you took his care and needs first. Plus you can always visit him and maybe dog sit. Think of it that you didn't lose Sol, instead he got a bigger family to love him. Win win!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.