Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Hershey was 5weeks old when I got him...within 2 days he had parvo! He seems to be doing great now....but.potty training had to take a "backseat"! So now we are behind in training! When I take him outside he is just so excited to do anything but play!! He will hold "it" and then run inside and potty! Any suggestions!! He is just 4 lbs and his bladder is always goin!!!

Thanx, Tosca

·
Registered
291 Posts
Welcome to the board Tosca and Hershey. Glad to hear he beat parvo.

Are you crate training? This is what I did. Have a different time for playing and training. Take him out on a short leash, to the bathroom spot (remember to bring a treat). Give him the command to go to the bathroom, like "hurry up" or "go potty". Give him a couple of minutes, but don't let him wander the yard. Keep him in the area where you took him. If he goes, give him the treat as he's using the bathroom, and praise him. If not, take him back inside, put him in the crate for 10 minutes then take him back out and try again.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Crate training is definitely the way to go. After a little work, he will know that his crate is his home, and he won't want to go potty in there. It's worked miracles for Beasley.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I went through the same thing with Duke. He was 12 weeks old when we got him and the breeder we bought him from raised the pups in the kitchen and they had never once gone outside! So Duke thought potty was inside and would play when outside.

Patience is my only piece of advice. I just kept taking him out until finally one day I deciced this would be the day he finally went outside. I stayed out there with him for over an hour, but he finally did his business. I pulled out the treat and clapped and fawned all over my good boy for going potty outside.

Now every time I say "potty outside", he follows the big labs out to do his thing. There are still accidents inside, but it's only been 4 weeks and it's so much better than it was. I know we'll get there, in the meantime, I will be shampooing my carpets tonight. Again. *sigh*

·
Registered
324 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by tosca:
Hi,

Hershey was 5weeks old when I got him...within 2 days he had parvo! He seems to be doing great now....but.potty training had to take a "backseat"! So now we are behind in training! When I take him outside he is just so excited to do anything but play!! He will hold "it" and then run inside and potty! Any suggestions!! He is just 4 lbs and his bladder is always goin!!!

Thanx, Tosca
Vet told me that provo mainly affects dog under 5 weeks but that is not to say it won't. But has puppy gets older his resistance will get stronger. But at the same time you can help by getting him shot called"8 in one". If I remember right it was a series of 3 shots. 1 to start and think it was 2 boosters. Also if you are sure it was provo then anything he slept on or play with you need to change out and area he played in will need to have straight bleach poured over it. Provo can get into ground and stay there. No as far as potty training I didn't use crate training. Usually older one gets harder it gets but will try to explain how I done. Now this is not meant to say that crate training doesn't work. Many have used that method with good results. I just have a "thing" about use of crates. LOL First thing each morning make dog go out on leash. Be sure to always tell him "good dog" after he does his thing. After he eats wait a few minutes and take him out again. Be sure to tell him"good dog" each time. After he comes back in most puppies tend to take a nap. After each time he naps take him outside. Before you go to bed at night take him outside again. Besure to always do the "good dog " words. Those words will stick with him & he will begin to relate the potty thing with the words "good dog".Now where ever you choose for him to sleep make sure he is confind to that one room only. More chance he can roam,more chance you will find "little gifts" in different places. Now that part is also reason crate training works. Dogs have this "hangup" about not going in area they play or sleep. But now the problem !LOL Until puppy gets old enough to rtain fulid all night you may be woke up anywhere from 2a.m. to about 5a.m.. THat is my way . I don't say its the best,just way I did it. But some dog owners say they had trouble potty training;I didn't. Took me about 3 weeks. Almost forgot may part ! Each time you take puppy out take him some place in yard that he does not play in or lay in and also before you come outside taje one of his paws and make a scratching sound on the door. This he also will begin to relate to going outside.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts