Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a first time Beagle owner and for the most part everything is going okay. The only real issue that I'm having is him jumping up on counters and people. This is the one thing that I just have not been able to get him to stop doing. Does anyone have any tips on how I can get him to stop doing this. And the other issue is that he LOVES to eat the cat food. It isn't like he is starving and just wants more food bceause he wont even eat his food. He'll take a few bits of his food and then will try to get to the cat food. Does anyone else have this problem and if so is there anyway to get him to stop doing this? Thank you!!

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Welcome to BW. How old is your beagle? One can stop a dog jumping at people by the moment he does it, the person should raise their knee to push him down. Or turn your back on him. Whichever you choose to do do it with a firm NO. Counters can be protected the same way you do for children, everything on the counter should be out of reach. The cat food will either have to be put down at a certain time every day and taken up again when the cat is finished, or put out of reach for the dog. Feed your beagle at the same time as the cat, but in a different room. We have two beagles, one gets fed in the lounge and the other in the kitchen. They have learnt exactly which place is theirs.
Hope this helps.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome!!
How old is the little devil?
Assertive and loving training should help with the different issues (as Doghouse noted) and about the cat food/litter, you can elevate it so that he can't get to it. The cat will easily be able to, though

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
My cat food is kept in a different room with the door closed. The cats sit by the door or bang on in with their paw to get in and out. Maggie does try to run in sometimes but we have mostly taught her to sit and wait at the doorway. When Maggie does get in she gobbles the food as fast as she can and when I get close enough to grab her collar she get the biggest mouthful she can gather up to eat as I drag her from the room.
As far as jumping we have used the suggestions above. The most helpful thing has been encouraging guests not to touch her or look at her until she sits. Then she can have attention and a treat or two.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Yep - what I did with my beagle was teach her that nothing in life is free, and that she would not get a pat until she sat. As soon as I walked in the door and she ran up to me, she had to sit before she got any attention. Now, when I come home, she runs up to me and sits perfectly at my feet - its an automatic position she has learnt as no sit = no attention and sit = attention.

When you have guests over tell them to give your beagle the sit command (or you can give it for them) before they pat her, and ignore her if she doesn't. If you are consistent enough, it will become automatic for the dog to sit to get attention.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tips everyone. I'll have to start trying them.

He is around 7 months old by the way.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Dogs love cat food! I feed the cat away from the dogs because they'll eat her food every chance they get.
The cat's food is picked up as soon as she's finished eating.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
We keep Phoebe's (our cat) food up off the floor so Duke and Violet can't reach it. If you have a dresser drawers set or a laundry room counter or something like that you can keep the cat's food elevated on, that's the easiest solution.

We keep her litter box on top of an old butcher block top in the bedroom so they can't get into that either! Amazing the things one has to do to beagle-proof a home.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Jumping is a very common thing with dogs, especially pups. There is nothing you can do that is going to stop it over night.

The first thing you have to understand is why he jumps on people. Being a lot shorter than people he's trying to get their attention by extending himself to their level. So what we do is get down to his level and then give him lots of pets and attention. Then you can stand back up. By standing or bending over to give attention you're just asking to be jumped on.

When he does jump on you or others say Off in a firm voice and turn around to ignore him. He simply wants your attention and by turning away he'll learn he's not going to get it by jumping. It may take a few times but he'll figure it out.

This process will take a long time. From our experience we've noticed two things. First, when we get down to his level Bodie usually does not jump when we rise again. And if he does, we say Off and he usually listens immediately. Kind of think of it as giving your dog an attention fix. Once they get it they'll respond better to you.

Bodie knows what Off means. He may not respond right away, but you can tell he knows what he needs to do. When he does get Off we always give him lots of pets and praise. That is an important aspect. They have to know that listening to Off means there's a reward to follow.

You may also want to establish a training routine everyday working on Off. I'd get a Clicker and every time he gets off after your command click and reward. You'll be amazed at how effective that will be too. The key is to be consistent and maintain the training. It will take time but well worth it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts