Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sadie is in the hospital.
She started having diarrhea on Thursday night, and then vomiting on Friday. I took her to the vet mid-day when it looked like it wasn’t fixing itself. They checked her for coxidiosis because she went through that last year, but it was negative. We were sent home with pills to settle her stomach and some bland food for her to eat for a few days.
It’s now Saturday morning. I was up all night with her while she passed very bloody stool about every hour. The vomiting stopped about 11:00PM. Bless her little heart… Through all this, she only had one accident in the house .
We talked to the emergency clinic about 10:30 about bringing her in, and decided to let her rest peacefully in her own bed. They said as long as she was taking a little water, (she was) she should be alright for the few hours until morning when the regular clinic opened.
Karen managed to get some sleep, so she took her in this morning. They did x-rays and blood work, and will be keeping her on IVs over night.
We don’t have any solid answers except that this can be brought on by stress, and should fix itself while she’s being kept hydrated by the IV. Which, of course, contains a cocktail of something to settle her digestive system, antibiotics, etc.
It may sound selfish, but I’m glad they’re keeping her. She’s in better hands than I can give her, and I need some sleep.

Thanks,
Bruce

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Bruce, you are not selfish - you are thinking of what's best for Sadie. On that note, I pray that Sadie will be back to her old self in no time.

Keep us updated!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Sending healing thoughts for your Sadie! Hope this morning finds her feeling much better! It's always so hard when our babies are sick and we can't help them.
Big hugs to you and Sadie!

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
Ya, you are not selfish at all. I know when a dog is sick, sometimes you just feel so helpless because they can't tell you what is wrong. I am sure they will get her all fixed up for you. The IV is likely the most important thing right now, you don't want her getting dehydrated because that will jsut make things worse. Go get some sleep, and keep us posted on how she is doing!!

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Good thoughts for you and Sadie.
Beags are very tough little creatures, she'll be back to normal in no time I'm sure

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hope Sadie feels better soon. It's scary when they don't feel good and you don't know why.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
We are keeping Sadie in our thoughts and hope you get good news from the vets.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I'm thinking good thoughts for Sadie. I definitely think you did the right thing. I always feel better when the vet is involved. Here's hoping Sadie is back to her old self really soon.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I'm sorry to hear Sadie isn't well. I will be thinking of all of you today. Be sure to post an update when you know something.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
I'll be praying for your Sadie. We have a Sadie as well. She will be getting the best care at the animal hospital. Probably a good overnight of IV fluids and meds and she will feel much, much better. Looking forward to hearing good news when she gets out of the hospital. Hang in there.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Bruce,

Sadie is much better off where they can rehydrate her and keep her quiet. It's hard to do that at home. Hopefully she is having a bout of colitis (Henry has had that) and if I remember right, a course of antibiotics and a bland diet were the treatment.

Hugs to your girl...we will be thinking about her.

~Denise

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, Everyone.
The vet just called. Sadie is in a crate in an active area of the lab. She's resting comfortably and watching everyone walking by. They had her outside and no more diarrhea so far. The vet said she's a little perkier than she was this morning.
They're going to try a little water and maybe some food later today. If she keeps that down and all goes well, she can probably come home tomorrow afternoon.
Now… I have to go give Sparky a bath because we're having company for dinner. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/bounce.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Poor Sadie! Always trust your instincts -- you did exactly the right thing for Sadie. Now you can get some rest so you can be there for her when she comes home. Maggie and I send gentle hugs!
So glad to hear a good report from the vet -- please continue to give us updates.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I've just read this thread, and am so glad to see the encouraging report on Sadie. Will include her in my prayers, and hope that she's feeling better and home soon.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Bruce-

I really don't believe you are being selfish for 2 reasons. First, like you said the vet can better care for Sadie and second, I have believed for a long time and it is part of my philosophy - if you don't take care of yourself then you will not be in any shape to care for others - Beagle or human. It is so hard for us to just stand by and watch while our doggies aren't feeling well but I pray that your Sadie will be better real soon.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Many prayers for Sadie. It sounds like something my dachshund went through a couple of times, and his was stress induced both times. I hope she recovers soon.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I hope the good reports continue. Sadie is in our thoughts and prayers.

Poor lil girl. It's terrible when they don't feel good.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Poor Sadie. We had a similar experience with Popcorn a few months after we adopted her - it just got worse and worse and eventually bloody over the course of two days and eventually we took her in where they put her on fluids. We never did find out what it was but once she started to get better all was well - and I totally understand the feeling of relief when she went into the vet and you knew she was in good hands.

Hope Sadie continues to improve - thinking of you...

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Aw, poor Sadie. I'm sorry she's not feeling well. It's good to hear she seems to be feeling better. And you weren't selfish at all. You did what was best for Sadie. She's in good hands at the vets office.

Jersey had a similar experience a little over a year ago. She ran up the stairs before I did and got into something leaking out of a garbage bag the neighbors had left out in the hallway. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/th_scared.gif She had vomiting and bloody diarrhea. The vet said that as long as the blood was bright red that it was just from irritation. Long story short she was diagnosed with gastroenteritis (sp???). After lots of antibiotics, IV fluids and some other meds she was just fine. She ate a bland diet for a few days and was back to normal within a week. I'm sure Sadie will be just fine. I'll be thinking of you! Give her a nice gentle hug and some Beagle kisses from me and Jersey when she gets home. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/yay.gif

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.