Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Is he a tall also? Beagles usually gain weight and height until they're 18 months, he's just over that in age. If the weight gain has been over time, it's not as concerning (does seem to me he has quite a bit of extra food in addition to his meals and may be why he nibbles over a period of time). Is his stomach distended? I'd be concerned about a distended belly. Doesn't sound like he's drinking too much (too much water could be a diabetes or Cushings).

Some thoughts about cost. Do you have a veterinary school nearby? Sometimes they offer visits and procedures at lower-cost if you cant afford it. Or, can your vet examine him to see if he needs the blood work immediately? If so, would explain you can't pay now and ask your vet if you can have it done and pay in installments a bit now and then rest later or postpone paying until next month. Worth asking and if you can have it sooner will give you peace of mind. Also, a local beagle breed rescue group might be able to give you the name of a vet that would use a lower cost lab.

It's amazing how much calories are added with what seems like little snacks and milkbones. Ally started getting overweight, the vet had us reduce kibble o account for the treats so that total calories was the same and cautioned us about adequate nutrition (hubs had to give her a bit of whatever he was eating).

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hey thanks everyone for all your advice, I am getting some doggy insurance and Dodger has a vet appointment next months so he will be covered by then to get his testing for what ever is going on thyroid or not, but I am sure it’s not over weight, because he doesn’t eat much at all really only time he does he is in his crate , weird…lol other than that he just nibbles, and drinking water nah not much of that either, canned food that’s a treat for him and I have to put cheese in that for him to eat that. A friend of my said some beagles are just big males especially, so he just maybe a large beagle, we will see at the vets next month, I think Cassie said the same thing, we will see, but thanks ever one… 🤩🥰Dodger thanks you too🐾ruff
Am happy to hear you have solutions for Dodger. Hope that the vet can get to the bottom of it, and wishing you and Dodger the best possible outcome!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts