Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off...I am new to Beagle World but have been a relatively proud mother of Roxie for going on 7 years next month. She has always been an outside dog either in a yard or connected to a run up until I moved from Colorado to Brooklyn, NY about 6 months ago. We now live in an apartment and she had to adjust to taking walks twice a day to do her business and for exercise. I felt like she adjusted pretty well and pretty quickly but when I was working I was gone for about 10-12 hours a day on average. This definitely seemed to stress her out...she was having accidents in the house (even when I was home), tore a hole in the screen in my window, and peed on my bed. I've been unemployed for about 3 weeks now and it's taken this long for her to finally be back to her good self but I'm afraid that as soon as I find another job, she'll regress again. So my question is do you think she can adjust to this life or would she be happier back in Colorado because my parents who live there keep offering to take her. I've always had the conviction that having a dog should be a life commitment and not something you can get rid of when it's inconvenient. My parents asked me whether I'm thinking of my happiness or Roxie's and I don't have an answer. I would appreciate whatever advice you can give on this.

·
Registered
127 Posts
What a difficult decision you face! I would not want to be in you situation. Since you've had her so long I would say that only you will know what is best for Roxie. She is beautiful!
You are very fortunate that you have an option (your parents)--Good luck and let us know the outcome.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I don't want to sound mean but I think the easiest option would be to let her stay with your parents.

Being alone 10-12 hours a day with (presumably) no access to the toilet unless you are home would be pretty tough on most dogs but especially on a social, pack orientated dog like a beagle. Her behaviour when you were working indicates she was stressed and bored.

You could do something like get a dog walker each day, or take her to doggy day care, but these are both costly and difficult options.

Don't think of it as failure on your part or that you are rehoming her - she gets to stay in your family's care and you could even take her back if your situation improves. You are not giving her up or rehoming her - she's just going to live with her grand parents

But going by your post, and trying to be subjective, whilst I understand you *wanting* to have her I think the easiest options for the both of you would be to have her live with your parents (at least for the immediate future).

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
First, welcome to the BW pack!

Next, you need to do what is best for you and Roxy. Only you know what that is. Roxy will adjust to the situation set before her.

And yes, she may regress again, but that is part of the re-adjustment. Its how things are.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Roxy is beautiful. You have a tough decision to make. I think you just have to listen to your heart. Is Roxy bonded to your parents as much as she is to you?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome!!

Have you tried giving her a good walk (45-60 minutes) in the mornings before you leave for work? I have found this helps a LOT with my Beagle, Chloe. She is not destructive anymore (not since puppyhood) but she is doing a lot better and hardly ever go in the house anymore when I'm not home.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
The decision is in your hands. You could try her with your parents or you could try and get her used to the new situation. Either way she is a much loved dog, so no need for you to feel guilty if you decide to let your parents keep her.
My personal opinion would be, if I got a job that took me away for those sort of hours, to let her go to your parents and visit as often as possible.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you so much for the advice! I really just needed some second opinions from people that know Beagles. And to answer some of the questions...she does bond well with my parents. And as far as walking her, on weekdays I usually took her for at least 30 min walks in the mornings and about 10-15 min walks at night...the weekends were more. Unfortunately, some of the more frustrating behaviors were when I was home, such as peeing in the apartment without warning within an hour of just being walked and doing her business outside. Anyway, my roommate is the only one on the lease and I don't think she will stand to have Roxie digress again unless Roxie and I want to find another place to live. You all have definitely helped relieve the guilt if I do send her to my parents and I appreciate it. I will keep you posted.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.