Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jersey just ate a bite or so of a Pop-Tart that was on the ground outside. I thougt it was grape as a was pulling it out of her mouth but now see that grape Pop-Tarts were discontinued in 2007 (as I did a Google search for the ingredient list of grape Pop-Tarts) so it may have been a blueberry one. I don't think she got that much of it either way but I don't know what to do! Should I induce vomiting? I called the Animal ER and of course they said bring her in so they can induce vomiting. How much grape is toxic? Any amount or would it have to be a larger quantity than a small bite of a Pop-Tart? How much real grape can be in a Pop-Tart anyway? Why do these things always happen on the weekend?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jen,
When we had the scare with Traveler eating wild grapes, I printed out info about grape toxicity. It said that a handful of grapes or raisins can make a dog ill, but that of 10 cases reported to the ASPCA animal Poison Control Center, each dog ingested between 9 ounces and 2 pounds of grapes.

My guess would be that just a bite of the poptart would not hurt Jersey.

If making her vomit would make you more comfortable, you can use a syringe that shows cc's and draw up 3cc's hydrogen peroxide for every 20 pounds of Jersey's weight. Of course, when we did that for Traveler, he didn't vomit.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jen -- since you already did the research re grape Pop-Tarts, it sounds like Jersey will be fine. It is amazing how much stuff they can find to eat! I watch Maggie so closely when I take her out and the other night I turned the other way for a second and she was munching on something when I turned back. I know you will be checking out Jersey carefully for a few days but hang in there!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,097 Posts
Jen, about 10 years ago when I got my Lab/Shepherd puppy, my mom trained her with seedless grapes (she learned to sit and all kinds of things with grapes as a treat). This was before we all KNEW that grapes were toxic to dogs. She didn't eat a lot of them, just an occasional treat - so I don't think Jersey is in any danger. Besides, I have never seen GRAPE Pop Tarts, and I used to buy a lot of them for my grandkids.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally Posted By: Kirby-ohI have never even seen grape pop-tarts, but I eat so many blueberry ones... white frosting, many-colored sprinkles?
Yup, with purple filling which led me to beleive it was grape. I rarely eat pop tarts and when I do I only eat frosted cherry ones. As for Jersey, she seems just fine. Begged for her dinner and some of ours, as usual. I don't think there can possibly be enough fruit in a pop tart to do any damage. I'll defintely keep an eye on her though. I'm half tempted to go downstairs and yell at the parents of the kids (teenage boys, actually) who threw the food in the grass to begin with.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,458 Posts
Originally Posted By: jen-n-jerseyI don't think there can possibly be enough fruit in a pop tart to do any damage.
I have to agree Jen...even if by chance it <span style="font-style: italic">was</span> a grape pop-tart, I seriously doubt there would be enough grapes in a single bite to cause any damage. Probably just grape flavoring and coloring.

Sounds like Jersey girl is going to be OK, especially if she's eating dinner with no problem. Keep an eye on her and let us know how she is in the morning!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jersey's fine I'm the one who needs help. LOL! I tend to get a little freaked out when it comes to her. Especially since grape toxicity leads to kidney failure and that's what I lost my Amber girl to. Thanks for letting me be crazy!

I made sure all signs of the pop tarts out back were gone but now there's a big pile of popcorn.
At least I can see that one and steer Jersey clear of it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,163 Posts
OMG, I am sure glad BW exists because I personally didn't even know grapes were toxic to a dog. Not that they have ever eaten any that I know of, but if I knew of all the things my dogs ingest I would probably drive you all nuts. I guess I don't watch them closely enough to know. Bad Beagle mommy! Shame on me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
959 Posts
These pups, they could make us old before our time. Eating everything that they find anywhere. This week, I know, I saw Casie with a piece of paper in his mouth, and about lost my stomach when I thought of what could have happened AGAIN!

Why does it happen on the weekend? Because we are home and see it happen more often than not....during the week we don't see everything...and besides vets need a day off anyway, and if not, they get to charge us double. And after my weekend, last week, it's worth it.

Cathy
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top