Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need advice on kitchen aggresion

My 2 yo, Lulu, has started something new, and I need some ideas on how to deal with it. She's been very gentle and patient with the kids up until now, but for the last few days, every time I'm in the kitchen she's right there hoping I'll drop something (that's normal), but now she's barking and snapping at the kids if they come into the kitchen, too. Just now my son was getting a snack from the fridge, and Lulu tried to get the package of cheese off the shelf, and when he blocked her and told her "no", she acted like she was going to take his hand off. Every time she's aggressive, I've put her in her crate or sent her to her bed, and she wouldn't dare try to snap at me, but I can't be constantly worried that she's going to bite one of my children, so I need some tips.

Oh, and we do make sure her mealtimes are separate from family mealtimes already, as in people eat first, and then dogs, because we read that it helps establish the people as dominant in the dog's mind, and we also make her either go in her crate or in her bed while we're eating because she begs something awful, and she's learned that if she pushes the baby over she can get a cracker or a piece of toast. Sheesh!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Re: Need advice on kitchen aggresion

Out of curiousity...is she still intact or has she been spayed?

The reason I ask is that my female acts totally different when she is about to go into heat and during her heat cycle. It is like she is a completely different dog. She doesn't get along with the other dogs like normal. For instance they can all be laying there napping and all of a sudden she will snap at them as if they kicked her or something. She also seems to want to be more dominant then too. Play wrestling becomes a bit more aggressive. Her appetite is insatiable. We always joke and say that there is a reason that the females are called bitches. That is exactly what it seems like is if she is just real cranky.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Re: Need advice on "kitchen aggresion"

I think you will find that there would have been signs of Lulu being dominant before these incidents of 'kitchen aggression' started occurring.

For eg, if she is pushing the baby to get its food, she's not being clever - she is being dominant and sees herself higher in the pack than the baby.

Do the kids ever do any training with Lulu? getting them to take her to obedience club or do 10 minutes each day of basic commands like sit, down, stay, shake or teaching her a new command or trick will help her respect them and see them higher than she is.

Stop giving her treats in the kitchen. Stop dropping her food or giving her a reason to expect food when she goes in there. I would only feed her at dinner time, or give her treats during training. Teach her that she will not under any circumstances get food from the kids when they've dropped something or that she will get scraps while you are preparing dinner, because that food is yours or the kids, NOT hers.

I would read up the following training programs, nothing in life is free and the triangle of temptation. The ToT teaches the dog that they only get food once they have sat and stayed for it and they must be looking at you, not the food. This means the dog is looking to you for approval and not just following through with a basic command.

With the kids, I wouldn't leave them unsupervised with the dog and I wouldn't let them growl or yell at the dog - growling at the dog can be seen as the kids challenging her, and it sounds like she has taken them up on that challenge. I would also get the kids to feed her once you have taught her to sit/stay for her food. She needs to learn that YOU control the food and not her.

NILIF:
http://www.k9force.net/index.html?row2col2=nilif.html

ToT:
http://www.k9force.net/index.html?row2col2=tot.html

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Yes, she has been spayed, and yes, she has shown signs of trying to assert dominance before. When she first joined our family, she claimed the couch and would snarl at the kids if they climbed up or tried to move her. That was only one afternoon, and now she's not allowed up on any couches or beds. Not that I'd mind having her on the furniture, but it was obvious she thought she was the alpha dog, and I've already got that title, lol.

We did read the NILIF article, and the kids already do have her trained to sit for a treat, and then ignore it and look to them to give the signal to go for it. Also, when we go for walks, we have her trained to sit at the door and wait until the walker goes outside first, and then she follows.

She was previously owned (from 6 wks.) by a little old lady who spoiled her rotten, no rules whatsoever, and fed her every time she begged so when she came to us she was literally a waddling sausage. She's about half the size she was now, but still overweight, bless her heart.

I guess I was mostly interested in hearing how others deal with aggression and dominance in their beagles. It's all new to me. We love this little girl dearly, but I'll be danged if she's going to get "bitchy" with the kids, especially when they aren't doing anything to her they shouldn't be.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts

I have (most of the time) Chloe sit or lay somewhere in the kitchen when I'm there. I usually make her stay there and not move, unless she wants out and she can be somewhere else. But if in the kitchen, then that spot!

I try to keep that "rule" and most of the time it works.

·
Registered
250 Posts

I dont let diesel in the kithen anymore cause he likes to be between your legs and when your carrying a hot pan it could end up disasterious...

our kitchen is tile and has a hallway kinda next to it, which is carpeted... so i make him sit there on the carpet. he tends to run into the kitchen a lot cause he is not used to it yet. but i just grab him and walk him back to the carpet and give the sit, stay command and that usually works... giving him a treat every once in a while if he stays long enough helps too

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.