Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend from Thursday to Monday we went to a provincial park about 5, 5.5hrs north of Toronto. Had a great time, hiked with the dogs, got some running in. Thursday and Monday were travel days (as well as relaxation), and Saturday and Sunday both rained quite a bit - downpour at times - but we moved our shelter with tarp closer to the fire so we could sit covered and still get the warm from the fire (it was cold; down to around 1C a few nights).

Xerxes spent most of the time on our laps in a puffy down jacket and covered in one of our jackets to stay warm. He slept in our double sleeping bag with us.

Agis - the puppy - was VERY well-behaved.

Neb was a good boy - but. As he's gotten older (now 12.5 years), he's gained some off-leash privileges. But he's also started to get ideas in his head - maybe he's always been that way. Last winter one night it snowed a bunch so in the morning we let him off-leash in the complex so he could play. Well, he wanted to go for a walk, and headed off on our favourite route.

So Monday, we were packing up, and didn't have him on his tie out. At some point I looked up and realized Nebbers was gone. There was a bunch of bush between campsites so I went out a bit, calling him, Toby was calling his name and treat. We decided to go down the campground road opposite directions, I took a dog food bag and was calling his name and shaking it.

Toby found him at the campsite next to ours (was empty the whole time we were there), licking the fire pit grate. Toby called his name, Neb looked up, wagged his tail, and went back to licking.

We were torn between shaking him and hugging him. There's a lot of bush up there for him to get lost in. HE knew where he was.

So he's a tie-out dog again!

·
Registered
5,959 Posts
Oh wow what an adventure! Scary when we can't find our pooches. Glad it turned out ok...whew

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I was freaking out inside because he could've ended up in deep bush. So typical that he'd be next door licking the fire grate. What a jerk! Heh.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Toby cooked a flat chicken on our grate and he'd been pretty focused on that - I guess he wanted to check out the other restaurants haha

·
Registered
5,959 Posts
Cassie was clear across the yard when she heard me open the fridge... she hauled butt for a tasty reward.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They know! They've got a spidey sense or something.

·
Registered
5,959 Posts
I buy Oscar Mayer deli turkey meat...OMG she'll do back flips for a slice.. works better than any dog treat. I always keep some for emergencies...

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oooh yes. Our guys love hot dogs (the problem is so does Toby haha).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts