Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every year around this time the baby birds start dropping down from their nests to try to fly on their own. Well, today a baby bird was flopping around our shed in the back yard. I noticed Sadie and Pooh Bear sniffing around a lot out there. I walked out to see what was out there. I think the baby had just fell out of the nest. Sadie grabbed it in her mouth. I screeched/screamed and she dropped it. I got the baby to a safe place away from the Beagles. I looked up in the trees and saw the nest was in the tallest Palm Tree by the shed. There was no way to put the baby back up there. I called our animal refuge and explained the circumstance. They said to try to put the baby back in the nest. I explained that I don't have a ladder and the nest is way up high. They asked if the baby was injured. I could not tell, he wasn't moving, just sitting. They said I could bring him in. I went to find a small box and when I got out to the little bird, he was laying on his side. I was so sad. I knew he was dead, but I got him and took him on in to the animal refuge (they are just around the corner from my house). They confirmed that the poor thing was dead. Not sure if Sadie hurt him or what. I cried. It's not Sadie's fault, she is a born hunter and birds are their prey.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
It wasn't Sadie's fault even if the baby bird was alive before. That high fall was probably the deal breaker for him.
Sad, but that's the circle of life.... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif

·
Registered
865 Posts
awwwww...that is sad. It was very sweet of you to try and help the bird. You are right, too, beagles are born hunters and Sadie was just doing what she was bred to do - although, I agree with Eleanor that the fall was probably what killed the bird.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Loss of any wildlife for any reason is always sad.

The good news is that you are somebody who <u>cares</u> enough to try and help...then cry when you can't. There are not enough people who care like you do.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Originally Posted By: GingergooseLoss of any wildlife for any reason is always sad.

The good news is that you are somebody who <u>cares</u> enough to try and help...then cry when you can't. There are not enough people who care like you do.
I agree!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.