Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a cute beagle named Berry who turns 3 in April, but we got him when he was 1 year old. He was rehomed 3 times before coming to us, thus was too hyper and chewy. We live in an apartment so walked outdoors most of his first year with us.

Outdoors he has begun to eat other dogs' poop due to having had to place him on a hypoallergenic diet.

He is still very chewy in the apartment when unmonitored, even though he has improved slightly in the morning.

We love him and enjoy snuggling with him on our couch, but do need time to ourselves to eat and study, by sending him in to nap in one of our bedrooms. After a 1 1/2 walk, he would nap about 3 hours. However, in the past few days he has been waking up earlier or whimpering/barking to be let out when we put him in for his nap. If he is in the same room when we eat, he will grab food from the table or start to chew something in the house.

Can anyone explain what is the solution for this? Any suggestions welcome especially with regard to his chewing. We walk him 3 1/2 hours a day and play with him at least 1/2 hour in the house.

·
Registered
977 Posts
What sort of obedience training do you do with him? Sounds like a 'leave it' would work well outside and inside - or have you tried this?

Is it a dining room table? How is he getting access?

He is adorable by the way. I'd say you're doing a great job with the exercise.

·
Registered
5,894 Posts
Put the dog either in a crate while you're eating or in another room. Dont allow around the table or hand any food from the table.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Put the dog either in a crate while you're eating or in another room. Dont allow around the table or hand any food from the table.
^^^this, exactly this. ^^^

i started my dogs this way. the pure beags were very resistant, but learned eventually. the mixed ones i have now, learned much quicker. now if they approach me when i have food, i just calmly remind them "i don't bug you for your dinner, don't bug me for mine" :p
it works every time.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I think crate training is good...but I would say don't skip obedience and expecting appropriate behaviour; crate training is not a substitute for teaching how to behave.

·
Registered
5,894 Posts
I think crate training is good...but I would say don't skip obedience and expecting appropriate behaviour; crate training is not a substitute for teaching how to behave.
For sure obedience training. It has to be a combination of all these things. I talk to my dog a lot using the same words for what I want. Make sure everyone in the house uses the same words. I also give hand signals ( nothing fancy) but she gets what I mean. Remember, it takes time for all these things to work.

·
Registered
977 Posts
For sure obedience training. It has to be a combination of all these things. I talk to my dog a lot using the same words for what I want. Make sure everyone in the house uses the same words. I also give hand signals ( nothing fancy) but she gets what I mean. Remember, it takes time for all these things to work.
Absolutely! Everything together.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I agree with Cassie and Neb.

Sophie is not allowed in the kitchen when we are eating - she lies down at the entrance. She has a 'bed' in each of the rooms we use to relax/work/study (a large wicker basket full of old fleece blankets/remnants). When we are busy, she lies down there - although we initially used a crate for her. Have you enrolled him in obedience classes - they are very helpful, especially since you are are dealing with someone else's 'mistakes'.

Have you gotten him a Kong (fill with frozen peanut butter or other treats) to help address his chewing needs?

Consistency is key, and also understanding that since he was re-homed 3 times before you got him, he may get anxious at time (and 'chewy'). Lots of exercise is great - a tired beagle is a good beagle!!!
good luck - and thank you for giving Berry a forever home!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you very much all of you for your kind responses and advice. We will try it out during meals. We have been to obedience classes (3 courses).

I know that doggie daycares and some families send the dog in to another room to nap. We send him to do so every afternoon after 1 & 1/2 hours of walking/play. He is undisturbed for 3 hours for him as well as we get to catch up on lagging studies/tasks. It also refreshes us for the next part of the day, as he is a handful.

Recently he has been waking up earlier, after 1&1/2 hours or 2. Is this due to growing older? He will be 3 in April.

·
Registered
5,894 Posts
Thank you very much all of you for your kind responses and advice. We will try it out during meals. We have been to obedience classes (3 courses).

I know that doggie daycares and some families send the dog in to another room to nap. We send him to do so every afternoon after 1 & 1/2 hours of walking/play. He is undisturbed for 3 hours for him as well as we get to catch up on lagging studies/tasks. It also refreshes us for the next part of the day, as he is a handful.

Recently he has been waking up earlier, after 1&1/2 hours or 2. Is this due to growing older? He will be 3 in April.
3 years is just about the age a beagle gets under control and creates less mischief. Obedience classes are as much for the human as it is for the dog so you have to keep repeating the correct behavior . My dog gets in my way while Im cooking.. she squeezes between me and the stove or counter. If i cant get her to move I'll put her in the crate. She'll just lay there watching me. I always give a treat when i send her to the crate so its a "good place" to go. My dog naps after her meals.
On chews... be careful what types you give. My dog cracked both lower rear molars on hard chews. I dont offer those any more.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts