Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if changing the name of a beagle after 1 year would be a bad idea. I'm not sure if it would confuse the poor baby.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hmmm, well I am not an expert, but If it was close sounding to the name I would say ok.
With our Bassett her name was gypsy, and we used to call her dippy (as in dippy dog..lol)And she always came.
But i think completely changing yeah that might be confusing!

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
I think they'll pick up on a name change pretty quickly, especially if you use treats and give them one if they respond to the new name.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Casie's owner called him VAN for 13 months. I didn't like that name so we are changing it, obviously to Casie. What we were advised was to say Van/Casie, Van/Casie....and then after about two weeks, just Casie It's not the name that they understand it's the tone of our voices. Rather sad that, but I tend to believe they know what their names are and after a year, go for it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Originally Posted By: DaisysMomI think they'll pick up on a name change pretty quickly, especially if you use treats and give them one if they respond to the new name.
We changed Dudleys name from Freddie when we got himand he answers to it fine.He was also a year old.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Kali was previously called Lucy. The vet that we got her from suggested that if the dog is changing enviroments (especially if its from bad to good enviroment), then you should change the name.

Kali knows commands from her previous life. The name change really hasn't changed much.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Originally Posted By: cobismomCasie's owner called him VAN for 13 months. I didn't like that name so we are changing it, obviously to Casie. What we were advised was to say Van/Casie, Van/Casie....and then after about two weeks, just Casie It's not the name that they understand it's the tone of our voices. Rather sad that, but I tend to believe they know what their names are and after a year, go for it.
Firstly - definitely go ahead and change the name... Moose used to be Joey (with a short period of Rocket Rex in the middle) and he figured out his new name in a day or so (he was 1 1/2 when we adopted him, and NOT the sharpest knife in the drawer, but we love him dearly...). Popcorn was who knows what (she was a stray), then Lucy for about a month, before she came to us. She was younger than Moose (about 7 months) but she also learned her name quickly - not quite as quickly as Moose even though she is definitely brighter than he is, but because I think she was too traumatized when we first got her to pay attention to pretty much anything. But even so within a week she was reliably responding to her new name.

And I really do think that it must be a bit more than just the tone of our voices that makes them recognize their names - because when we call for one of ours it is only that one that comes... not the others, and I don't think if they were just responding to the tone they would be able to do that. Or I like to think!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
We have no idea what Violet's original name was, the shelter gave her the name Violet and after much debate, we decided we liked it and kept the name.

She did not know the name when we first got her, but learned quickly. Now 2 months later, she responds to Violet and all the cutesy nicknames I call her!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts