Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but they are suppose to have 4 claws plus one dew claw. Some breeders remove the dews when they are pups. Six sounds odd.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Sounds like she still has dew claws? Are they dangly nails?

My vet recommends taking them off (when they get spayed) or I've heard of breeders removing them when they are first born?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I agree with Murhphy's Dad. I thought as well they have 4 claws and a dew claw. I've never heard or seen 6. That doesn't seem normal to me.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I'm confused, does Maggie still have her dew claws or are we talking about six toes? Beagles are born with a nail (dew claw) a bit up ther leg. This is often removed in both show and hunting beagles but for different reasons. It serves little purpose and doesn't look good on show beagles and it can get caught in brambles and bushes for hunting beagles.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh sorry, my bad .. I mean 5 on all foot. The vet says that the front legs should have 5 ( Correct ) but the rear should have only 4, but mine have 5 too ( 1 up her leg ). Sorry again, written my first post too fast, and I can't edit now .. maybe if a mod see this he can edit my first post thanks

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
5 total is normal. Her rear dew claws were not removed, not a problem unless she gets them caught on something.

In other words Maggie is a normal beagle.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Would highly recommend you get the dew claws removed. Our Louise just went through a horrible infection in her dew claw from thorns getting in it. She had to be strongly sedated and the thorns dug out by vet. She was in horrible pain and vet bill was around $500.oo. The worse part was seeing her suffer so much. It broke my heart. If the baby hasn't been spayed or neutered yet, do it when that procedure is done. We are getting Louise's done in the next couple of months.
Some vets say its a good idea, some not, but after our experience, I wish we had had it done when she was spayed.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Some vets remove them others advise not to once the dog is an adult. They can be quite ugly and get caught on things. Talk to your vet about it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts