Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bebe is no problem. She was shown at a young age and is used to being groomed. Sadie, on the other hand, (Paw?) is getting worse and worse about nail trimming. Thinking back about her injured leg a few weeks ago, I think that's what might have caused it. Last time we had her trimmed, she struggled so hard it took two vet techs (and me) to hold her down!

Someone told us that their vet gives them tranquilizers to give their dog before they go to the groomer. If we could dope Sadie up a little bit, I might be able to do her nails at home and also eliminate the stress of a vet visit.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Clipping nails used to be very traumatic around her and at the vets it took several people to hold the dog down. Now we use a dremel tool on our dogs to sand down their nails. They are all getting so used to it that it is not a problem anymore. We still do it as a couple so one can hold the dog while the other trims the nails, but our pack is starting to act like they kind of like it. They are getting one on one attention and that's always good in their eyes.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Does she mind you generally handling her feet or not?
If she minds try holding a paw amd feeding her a treat at the same time,so she associates the paw handling with nice things.
Once she is happy with the paw handling get someone to sit with her holding a treat in a clenched fist so she can smell it but not get it.Whilst she is occupied clip the claws.
It might take a while but it works for my Basset that hated having his claws cut with a vengance.

·
Registered
959 Posts
We were told that if you play with your pups feet and mouth while they are pups they get used to teeth brushing and nail clipping. Unfortunately, we didn't know this until Casie came --- he too was shown so was used to nail clipping. BUT we found a groomer, who charges us $10 for a bath and nail clipping. The boys don't seem to mind her touching their feet, and don't nip. I try it, and the Cujo in them erupts... for $10, I'll keep my fingers.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Same problem here. I usually walk Coco daily which helps trim his nails since he pulls alot. I also use a largge nail file to file his nails down and I usually do it right before he falls asleep since he doesn't really put up that much of a fight. Seems to work for me.

·
Registered
350 Posts
i knew about the puppy thing and failed to do it enough.

so now the nail trim is tough with clyde and champ.
bonnie is no prob.

Champ is such a baby it is hilarious. and anoying.

i havnt tried a dremmel. but walking them on blacktop seems to keepem short.
C.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I would have a pocket full of yummy treats and a dremmel in hand. Start by just touching her nails with the dremmel off and give her a treat. This is a slow process and will not happen overnight. Once she is used to that turn the dremmel on and touch one nail and give a yummy treat. It will take some time to build up to all the nails front and back but it will be worth it. I had to do this with a couple of my rescues that I had. It took weeks before I could get through dremmeling all the nails.

·
Registered
421 Posts
twitchy will lay there and let me do whatever i want. as long as i hold her i can do nearly anything. sophie, on the other hand, wants to see what i'm doing, and lick the nail clippers and the file, roll over to a more comfy postion, mebbe play a little. i can get it done, but with sophie it takes a little more effort.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I do Charlies and Rolo's nails with a nail filier, with no problem, not to mention no mistakes can be made.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts