Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was just wondering how many times a month are you supposed to cut the nails? and how short should it be?

·
Registered
134 Posts
it really depends. My dog walks a lot on bitumen and I've never had to clip his nails yet as they get worn down enough on the walks.
The main ones to keep an eye on are the "dew" claws ( the ones on the sides of the forepaws which don't touch the ground).
Most beagles I would assume have white nails so you are fortunate enough to see where the quick ends ( the fleshy part of the nail which appears pink). Just nip the ends off if necessary and avoid the quick as it'll bleed. If it does happen to bleed popping the end of the nail into a bar of soap can help ease the bleeding. Just keep the pressure on for a good minute or two.
Another thing - for anyone that is too worried to clip the nails you can get a heavy duty nailfile and file them /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Just takes a bit of getting used to for little beagie /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
Hope that helps /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My beagles have all had their dewclaws removed.. hmm ive never tried a nail file before, ill try it too. Theyre not very comfortable with me cutting their nails and they squirm a lot.. do you have any tips on how i can calm them down?

Im always scared i might cut their quick because of their squirming :freak: 'ouch'

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Chloe had her dew claws removed by the breeder.
The remaining usually get worn down during walks, but about once every months or more I check and clip whatever nails that look too long for me.
I usually wash her legs first with warm water, it cleans then, you can see the pink flesh better (helps...) and sometimes even softens the nails a little.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
I get our vet to cut Susi's and Snoopys nails, usually when we go for some other reason.

·
Registered
147 Posts
we usually clip homers every 4-6 weeks.it gets done right after his bath when i am still holding him wrapped up in a towel-he's too tired from fighting me in the bath to fight about getting clipped :lol2:

·
Registered
614 Posts
I am use to doing it on other dogs so doing it on Dixie is no problem and it is alot easier too. Like snoopyminky said, they are clear nail and you can see the quick, for dashhounds and other breeds they are Black so you can't see them. Hot dog is the one i learned to trim on.His is solid black.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
We also have our vet trim Sadie and Pooh's nails. We need to go every month, but I make it there every few months. Their nails grow so fast and we don't walk them. We have a big fenced n back yard for them to run and play in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts