Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok we tried to cut Mizu's nails and were unsucessful. We take turns trying to hold him still but moves ALOT. I'm afraid we might break his legs...I was thinking about taking him to petsmart but they will do the same thing ..try to hold him still..
I think I have ruined him for life cause the last time I cut his nails he SCREAMED so loud...he is terrified everytime he see's us coming with the nail clippers..
How do you guys do it? Also Mizu is 14 weeks old.

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
Abby is almost two and although she struggles a bit with me I take my time and if necessary only do a couple nails or one paw at a time /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif and then I let her go and give her a treat.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I can cut Li'l Girl's nails because she's pretty docile....also, her nails are white so I can see the veins. That makes it a lot easier 'cause it does hurt when a nail is clipped too closely, and a vein is hit. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

Having said that, the other 3 dogs have black nails and I don't attempt to cut their nails. Dusty takes them to a groomer who charges $4 each to cut their nails. It's well worth it to me. :eyes:

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Jenny, Jersey wouldn't cooperate to let us cut her nails when she was a puppy either. Lately she's been letting me though. I give her a treat and praise her for letting me cut them. She has one black nail, but the rest are all white so it's not too hard for me. Plus, my clippers have a guard on the back side of the clippers so that it can't go too far on the nail. Sometimes I have to do two cuts on one nail, but I like it knowing that I can't slip and hurt her. It will take time, but he'll eventually come around. Make sure to praise and give lots of treats so that he learns it's not a bad thing. Good luck!

·
Registered
794 Posts
Jenny,
last night we had a miracle in our house...we cut both the Beags nails without any crying or scratching...
I read somewhere to do their back nails first...and that's what we did. My husband even nicked a couple, and they were fine.
I mean, they didn't LOVE it, but they tolerated it. We were absolutely thrilled. :happyhappy:

considering how absolutely awful it used to be...the howling and crying and squirming and scratching... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

hang in there and good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
We take Sadie and Pooh to the vet or Petsmart to get their nails trimmed. We tried it when they were little and we cut one of Sadie's too short and it bled and we got scared. Also for some reason they act better for the vet than they do for us for nail trims.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Speaking as someone who does this everyday as part of her job, let me make a few suggestions.

1. Get the clippers out and keep them handy. When your beag is tired out and lying down, get on the floor with her and speak calmly. Have one person scratch her behind her ears and the other person do the clipping.
2. do the back feeet first.
3. Make sure teh clippers are SHARP. If you are nervous, so will your beag. just clip the tips and every toe, praise her and give her treats. 4. If you do quick her don't panic. Use a bit of cornstarch or flour as styptic.
I have seen it time and time again, the owners swear they fight and fight it at home, and the dog comes in and we snip snip with nary a peep!

There are a couple of different kinds of clippers, the standard and some that look like a scissor, I can't remember the name.. they have a stop so you can't clip too much off at one time. Those are the kind I prefer.

You can always use a dremel tool. My basset was a horrible fighter, even wanting to bite. I went slowly on her and I think the pressure of the clipper was what was freaking her out. (Press on your nail bed as hard as you can with your thumbnail and see what I mean) I used a dremel and I could grind down to the quick and she never flinched, and after a few times of this I was able to go back to regular clippers.

If all else fails just take her to the vet. They won't think less of you and it makes them the bad guy, not you. Long nails are very bad, as they can grown into the pad or twist the toes and be extremely painful. The goal is to not hear them click on the floor.

Good luck!

·
Registered
439 Posts
i guess i was blessed here. bernie will allow me to do whatever needs to be done. when he was a puppy, i played with his feet alot. my vet told me it was a good idea to do that, for this very reason. try it, its not to late for your pup i dont think. i just gave him a good foot massage almopst daily. its a fight at first, but they do give in after several tries. start with their hands first, so they can see what your doing.
now i can clip pretty much when i want. as mentioned before, its ok to do a few nails at a time. might take a while but the task is done.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I forget to add, make it a habit of playing with her feet, when she is sitting in your lap, etc. Dogs naturally don't like their feet being handled, so if you get her used to you touching them all the time it makes it a lot easier. Same with the mouth and teeth and ears. It sure makes it easier on the vet staff when we have an animal that is used to being handled so we can more easily check teeth and those pesky ears!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts