Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you clip your own dogs nails or go to a groomer? I am starting to dread this battle. I have done everything the vet said since Maggie was 8 weeks. Nail clipping is not getting any easier. It takes two of us and Maggie is so stressed I usually do the front feet and then wait a day or two and do the back. Is there anything I can do to make this a less stressful experience?

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
I haven't been able to trim Shiloh's nails since she was a puppy and slept very sound puppy sleep--when I would sneak up on her and trim them. I have them trimmed when I go to the vets, and it usually takes 2 people: the assistant to do the holding and the vet to do the trimming!! She puts up such a struggle that I've been a little nervous about having a groomer do it, but I can't keep paying for an office visit just to have her nails trimmed. I'm open to suggestions too.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I take Snoopy to Petco for a bath and nail cut about 3 times a year....the doggie day care will bathe him when he is there for our vacations as well b/c he smells like stinky dog when he gets back.

so we only trim his nails like 3 time a year...is this too little??

Amanda and Snoops

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
My two don't like it either, but with patience it's gotten better.

Everyday, when Maggie is next to you and relaxed, pick up a foot and massage it gently. When she tries to pull away, don't let go; try to quiet her struggles with a calm but firm voice; when she relaxes, reward her with your voice and an ear rub. Do this dominance exercise over and over and over. Make her understand that you will do what you want, and she can trust you not to hurt her. Use the same technique when you're clipping nails....reward the behavior you want. It'll take work, but she's a smart girl, so she'll get it.

When my Maggie sees the nail clippers, she still tries to run away, but with time....the process has gotten easier; she has finally figured out that the nails will be clipped, and her cooperation is expected (within reason of course; she still hates it, but I have more control now because she responds to my voice)

PM me if you have any questions.....
(P.s. I'm too cheap to pay for nails and anal glands, so both those jobs have to be done at home :hi: )

·
Registered
786 Posts
My two girls will let you play with there feet, but once you take out the clippers they freak. I have tried and let them smell them, but they won't go for it. So now I take them to the vets and let the tech's do them. Believe it or not it takes two techs, one to hold them down and one to do the clipping....And the whole time they are wagging there tails? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

Last time it cost me $14.00 a piece, but it was worht every penny....

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Our last beagle, Spotty had to get a sedative to have her nails clipped. There was no way anyone but the vet could do it.
Our present two get it done the day they get their vacinations. Being ex research beagles and used to treatment, they dont move an inch. But wont let US near their nails!!!! The vets white coat seems to act like magic- which is sad really.

·
Registered
555 Posts
We had a rott/chow that hated to have her feet touched. When she pulled back I was unable to keep a grip on the foot. I was lucky if I could get one foot cut at a sitting. This battle waged on for yrs. Then I figured out if I didn't touch her feet she would let me cut her nails with less hassle. I needed someone for back up to sweet talk her & keep her seated/laying down. She would usually be lying down with her front paws out in front of her (she would try to tuck them under her at times). I would slide the clipper under her nails & quickly cut. She would pull back, but recover fairly quickly & on to the next nail. The back were a bit harder, but if I didn’t hold them I could get through those too.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sit on em! LOL just kidding....but it takes my husband to hold Scooter and i clip him. We use to do front feet one day and back feet the next. Now, he's finally accepting that we're not trying to do horrible things to him and we can get it done fairly quickly. He still will buck like a wild bronco for a few seconds in between toes and then will settle down to have the next one clipped. Practice and repetition and lots of treats work for some dogs, but i guess some get so stressed out that the pros have to be called in. Although i have a friend who brings her dog to Pet Co to have them clipped and in the end, they've managed to get a couple of nails, and oh sorry, he was moving too much. She brought him to my house, and we held him tight and got them all. Keep it up and maybe eventually maggie will learn to not be so stressed about it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
:computer: Jassy

Tippi usually is settled between 7 & 8PM so that is when I take the opportunity to get a nail clip in and I have found that if I keep my back to her and let her lay on her side it causes a minimum of fuss. I also rub the inside of her legs if she becomes agitated. As long as she can't see what I am doing she cooperates, but she has always been a "hands on baby", she loves to be rubbed and petted, so that also helps. We have also taken her to our local PetCo and they will cut her nails (without an appointment!) for $8.00.

Hope this helps.

Lora&Tippi

"My little dog. A heartbeat at my feet."
Edith Wharton

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I gave up this battle long ago. Maggie does not let me handle her paws. I take her to the vet to do her nails -- it is a bit pricey but they are willing to file the rough edges after clipping which the groomer at PetSmart doesn't do. When she is at the vet for her nails, she sits there and actually lifts up each paw for the tech -- obviously problem with me & her paws is me, not her!

·
Registered
66 Posts
No problems here.

We clip Harleys nails every two weeks because we don't want him scratching our shiny wood floors. He doesn't mind it at all.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I do fight with Lucky when trying to clip his nails but I always win. I basicly have to put hold him down and clip them quickly. He is usually mad at me for awhile after this. But he gets over in about an hour! :eyes:

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
The Bagel has a rule, one nail a day! He passively complies while I position the clipper and all is fine until the second I actually trim the nail, then he will use his other three feet to extract the captured foot from my grasp.

Fortunately he digs a lot in the desert and I don't often have to trim his front nails. I think we could almost get by with just letting his vet trim them at his yearly checkup and physical. Christine, Bagel's vet. always trims closer than I'm willing to when we visit after saying something like they don't really need to be trimmed or they aren't that long.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Jersey has gotten much better about this lately. When she was a puppy, it was a huge battle to clip her nails. Mike would hold her, I'd clip and both of us would be scratched to heck when we were done. Now, I can clip all but one back leg on my own. She lays down and won't move the leg she's resting on for me. Mike holds her for me then and I finish off. Sometimes I file them down to get rid of the rough edges. Soemtimes we just go for a walk and they wear down themselves. Still, whenever we go to the vet I have them do it. They don't charge if we're there for a regular office visit, so I take advantage whenever I can.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Here's a poem on this subject.
---------------------------------------------
Doggie Toes CLIPPY THING

Upstairs in momma's secret drawer,
she keeps a monster thing of horror,
it bites and tries to eat our toes,
why it does that no one knows!
We bark and fuss and wiggle and squirm,
but our dad and momma holds us firm.
This thing of horror makes a noise;
although it's squeaky--it's not like toys.
It's a squeaky, snippy, clippy thing,
it has sharp teeth and a big strong spring.
Sometimes after it eats our feet,
we get something good to eat.
But one day when no one else is home,
and we are left here all alone,
we'll sneak it out and none will know,
we sent it where the odd socks go! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

--Author Unknown--

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sandy, I love the poem. I'm sure it is just what Maggie is thinking.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I do a sneek attack/hit and run sort of thing with Lyle. I will get a couple of nails one day until he starts fighting it and then I will quit for a day or two and get a few more the next time. He can be a real PITA about it but I usually win out eventually.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Sandy that is really cute....I know that Sammy would steal the clippers if she could.

I gave up very eary on. My vet trims her nails and cleans her ears once a month for free so I am more than willing to make that appointment once a month !!

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Sammy's mom, which vet does it for free??? I want to know!!!!! Charlie's groomer said since Charlie is a digger, he file his nails away while digging for his gophers. :hi:
His blood veins are very close to the tip, and it is hard to cut them with no bleeding accident.
I hope they just won't scatch my new wood floor too.

Charlie mom

·
Registered
448 Posts
I was able to do my 2 older beagles when they were younger and hubby would hold them, but it has gotten progressively worse.
now Maggie the baby (who was born on my bathroom floor) let me do it when she was smaller, but now-NO WAY MOM!
So, they do a lot of digging right now, but I am seriously contemplating the vet doing it. Its just hard for me to get them there right now with nursing school and working full time-but I do have a pretty good vet who, on the days I work all day, will let them hang out there from the morning til I get off work to get whatever they need done (shots, etc) because its a 17 mile drive each way and I work in the town where the vet is. makes it MUCh easier that way
Judi and the gang

1 - 20 of 22 Posts