Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
her name is sophie and i have only had her for a few days. the guy i got her from went about it like i was buying a loaf of bread or something, so i wasn't able to learn much from him.
i would like to find some books on proper care, and training. i am hoping some folks here might reccomend some they know are good ones. this dog is really loving, i can hardly believe it. where ever i go, she goes. she will not go out with my wife unless i am there. otherwise she refuses to go out. she is trying really hard on the potty training, i am proud of her. i never saw a dog try so hard to please. so far i feed her 1 cup of dry puppy food 3 times/day, with about 2 or 3 cups of water each time. she seems to never get enough water.
we gout maybe 5 or 6 times/day for 15-20 minutes to play and do her thing. she seems to enjoy napping when we get back, so i guess she is getting her excersize. i asked the guy i got her from about her shots and he said she has all the shots she'll need till she is 1 year old, but wouldn't elaborate. is there any way of finding out if he really did this or if she still needs them? i have lots more questions, but i'll start with these....anyone?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
It's been a long time since I've had a puppy, so I don't remember how much I fed, but I did feed three times a day for a few months.

As for her shots, puppies need a series of shots, and I'm sure the guy didn't give all she needs for a year because she's not old enough. A very important shot is the parvo vaccination. You probably can't find out what he gave her, if anything. My best advice is to take her to a vet and get what he/she advises.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you, i will do just that. i suspected as much. probably all he did was worm her i think.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Yeah, she probably isn't old enough to have had all the shots. Did he say how old she is in weeks??

Seems like you're doing everything else right!!

But I'd get her to a vet soon to find out about vaccinations and start socializing her more with other dogs and people so she isn't so clingy to just one person.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Puppies need shots at approximately 6 weeks, 9 weeks, and 12 weeks. Then at about 4 months of age they need their rabies shots. Most vets do a worming treatment with each of the first three visits as well. You might try asking the man you bought her from if he will provide you with the name of the vet he took her to and you can usually get a printout of what has been done for that litter or individual pup. If in doubt...I would repeat the shots because they are that important. I'd hate to see you fall in love with the pup and then have it come down with Parvo or Distemper or something. Good luck working with the seller.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Originally Posted By: cheezyridrher name is sophie and i have only had her for a few days. the guy i got her from went about it like i was buying a loaf of bread or something, so i wasn't able to learn much from him.
i would like to find some books on proper care, and training. i am hoping some folks here might reccomend some they know are good ones. this dog is really loving, i can hardly believe it. where ever i go, she goes. she will not go out with my wife unless i am there. otherwise she refuses to go out. she is trying really hard on the potty training, i am proud of her. i never saw a dog try so hard to please. so far i feed her 1 cup of dry puppy food 3 times/day, with about 2 or 3 cups of water each time. she seems to never get enough water.
we gout maybe 5 or 6 times/day for 15-20 minutes to play and do her thing. she seems to enjoy napping when we get back, so i guess she is getting her excersize. i asked the guy i got her from about her shots and he said she has all the shots she'll need till she is 1 year old, but wouldn't elaborate. is there any way of finding out if he really did this or if she still needs them? i have lots more questions, but i'll start with these....anyone?
I also have a pup and i recently brought a book called 'Beagles for dummies' by Susan McCullough and its quite good and very informative

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ian Dunbar's Before and After You Get Your Puppy is a pretty great, comprehensive guide to dog-raising. If you're interested in training, Pat Miller's The Power of Positive Dog Training is my training bible, I've worked with lots of trainers and lots of dogs and nobody does it better than Pat Miller.
Good luck with your new baby! My puppy is finally 4 months old now and I won't lie, the first two months he was home were HELL, but those suckers grow up fast!

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Congratulations on your new puppy and a big welsome to Beagle World. I second what the others have said, take her to a vet. Carry her because until she has had her shots she shouldnt mix with other dogs.
If you ask direct questions someone on here will have the answers, but its still good to have a book to curl up with.

·
Registered
847 Posts
We bought two books and both are pretty good. The first one is called My Smart Puppy which is a must have. The second, good, but not as detailed is Guide to Raising a Puppy. I like it because it offers brief answers to question you may have. Where as My Smart Puppy will explain things in detail so you understand the thought process behind it.

As for feeding, get a high quality dog food. We actually went through an hour long nutrition class during our puppy training which helped a lot. After researching numerous brands we're currently using Rachel Ray's line of dog food which can be found at Wal-Mart. In our opinion it offers the best grade of dog food for the price.

I think we started Bodie out on 1 cup in the morning and evening. Keep a schedule, this will help you better manage potty training. As your dog gets older you can start gradually increase the food intake. Bodie gained a pound a week for the first 16 weeks. Currently he's getting 2 cups in the morning and evening. During the day when know one is home he gets his Tricky-Treat ball which is filled with about 2 cups of kibble. With that he has to work to get the food throughout the day.

One last note of food intake. A lot of it depends on the activity level of your dog. Bodie has a dog run during the day to move around and play in. He also gets 2 walks a day. So he burns off a lot of energy and eats accordingly.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
very cool! thank you all for the book reccomendations. a close friend reccomended a good vet nearby, so my lovely wife is making the apt right now. i have tried getting the breeder to clarify what he has already had done and he blows off the question like it's not important. looks like i will have the vet take care of business. sophie is soooo smart, and she tries really hard. my wife and i are already hoplessly in love with her. the kids have been away at their father's this weekend, so they will meet her for the first time today when they come home from school. oh, did i mention that sophie is my early christmas present? did i get the hook-up or what!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts