Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently got a 1 yr old male beagle. he is sooooo stubborn. I have had him with a trainer for 2 months he stays at the trainers camp. this trainer was rated second best in the city that i live in. Most of his issues is potty training.. he was not trained when i got him (at a year old). I take him out, nothing. come in he pottys. the trainer is having same issue. anyone else with this issue? how long did it take to train ?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
Lol..I do detect some stubbornness in that face. I got my Beag at 8 weeks and it took a good 10 months + to potty train with occasional indoor accidents. That said it is commonly agreed that it takes 3 yrs for behavior to get better. Get a Clicker at the petstore or on line. Its a great cheap training tool. Take your dog out on a leash and say...go peepee....(i say that for pee/poop). When the dog does the biz... click the clicker and give a treat and praise big time... GOOD BOY!.. Repeat next time. Since your dog isnt reliable he hasnt earned freedom in the house..keep him restricted preferably where its easier to clean the floor..i.e. tile floor.
Now all I have to tell my dog is...go peepee outside and she does. It will get better. I know its frustrating.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advise! My trainer will not treat for good behavior, but i have read that Beagles are very food motivated! So i will treat when he comes home.. I know that face is is like "who me misbehaving"!!

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
I TOTALLY disagree for not rewarding good behavior. Beagles are food/treat oriented. I don't treat every time. But when she wakes from sleep and goes to the door i think thats good behavior that should be rewarded after she goes. Ever heard of the Pavlov theory? A reward is given for good behavior. If I forget Cassie will stand there staring at me until I reward with a tiny treat.. its not the size, its the reward. My dog is 8yrs old and it still works.
Give it a try..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will as soon as he gets home!! his main issue is the potty, if he does that outside, he will get a BIG treat!!

·
Registered
917 Posts
How often do you take him out to potty? As someone who has (hopefully) just potty trained a puppy (who didn't want to go outside at first either - outside scared him), we started off taking him out hourly when we were awake at home, taking away water a few hours before bed, taking him out right after meals...it might be best to go back to first steps, if you haven't already.

(And he's adorbs)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I only had him a few weeks before he went into training, I work all day, and my husband is wheelchair bound, but I have a long leash that he can let him out the door to the yard,. Now that my grand daughter is out of school, she will be taking him out a lot more often.

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
By the way there are lots of good YouTube videos on how to use the clicker for potty training.
Google.. how to potty train a dog using a clicker.

You'll see they use the clicker and a treat

Let us know how it goes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts