Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya.

Im new here, and mentioned in my intro i was getting a pup. Sirius has been with us for almost a week now. He is generally a good pup, though we are struggling a bit with toilet habbits, im sure we will get there in the end.

This is Sirius

Now. The main issue we are having is seperation anxiety. I cant even go to the toilet without the crying, yowling and barking starting up.
I have read about how to deal with this, but wondered if anyone had any tried and tested methods?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Welcome to the board. :biglaugh:

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
Well, being someone who has a beagle who has had SA from day 1, I know what you are going through and I really wish that I would have dealt with it properly then. I always thought that he was just a pup and he would grow out of it or he will learn that we will always come back. Well now 3 years later, we are dealing with a severe case of it and it is taking that much longer to get it under control.

Here are a few things that I would suggest you start doing right away:

1 - make sure that when you leave or come home, it is never a big deal. No big goodbye's or Hello's, no talking in a baby squeaky voice, just give them a treat like a kong and leave. I don't even give Spencer any eye contact when I am leaving, I just walk away no matter how upset he is.

2 - If he is upset about something, don't console him. If he is scared of something but not being hurt and you are there to make sure nothing bad happens, don't pick him up. Even if he is jumping up on your leg, you are just encouraging his dependancy on you in you start picking him up all the time. He needs to experience these things at an early age, even if they are scary for him.

3 - start crate training him. This was one mistake that I made in thinking that it was mean to leave him in a crate when I was gone to work. He was kept in a safe bathroom and he managed to destroy the door and door frame and by 4.5 months old was pulling the gates off the wall to get out. We just started leaving him loose in the house at that point which later lead to destruction and more problems when he did have to start being crated.

4 - Put him into obedience classes for socialization and start teaching him how to sit-stay. By doing this, you slowly practice him being able to stay while you take a step back, then two steps, then eventually after a lot of training, oyu can leave his site, and leave the room. This is teaching him independance and that he will be ok if you aren't attached to him. They call these dogs velcro dogs. Don't encourage him to always be by your side touching you. If you are watching TV, have him sleeping on his own bed at the other side of the room.

Oh boy could I go on all day long. You will get there eventually, just stick with it. You are doing the right thing by trying to fix it now and not thinking that it will go away on it's own.

BTW, he is adorable!!!

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
Oh wait, I thought of a couple more things.

Make sure that he is on a high quality low protien food. If you are not sure if your food that you are feeding him is high quality, I can explain that for you and help you find a good one. High protein causes high energy, you will want to stay around 22%.

How much exercise is he getting? You want to make sure that he is getting enouh exercise and that his energy frustration is not just building up inside. I know for my dogs, just a walk is not enough for them. They need good running time which is why I am going to start biking and running with them in the spring. (Note, your pup is still too young for you to be able to run wit him, that can not be done until after 18 months)

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Sirius is quite handsome!! You've already gotten some great puppy guidance -- I have an adult rescue so won't be any help in that regard but thank you for today's "puppy fix"! :heart:

·
Registered
291 Posts
You have a very beautiful puppy. Good luck with the SA. I hope you can get it under control.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I have an 8 month old pup, so I think I may be able to help with some things. Or, I can at least share in your joy and sometimes pain (frustration).

What a cute little pudge he is. I love it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for your nice comments and adivce everyone.

"Spencers Mum" thank you for the advice. I have read everything you said carefully and a few times. If you dont mind me asking, where did you go wrong?

I am phoning round local puppy classes tomorrow to get him enrolled.

He is being fed Royal Canin Puppy (changed from pedigree chum that the breeder fed him) and he gets just over a cup a day split between three meals. It is high protien though /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif could this be because it is for a puppy? Or is the brand not a good one?

He is getting a medium sized walk (to the park and round it) twice a day and play time in the garden a few times a day. We have quite a large garden. We also spend a good hour playing and encouridging play. However, he does sleep a lot.

"Marleys Mommy" - Nope that is not a banana peel, it is a puppy Kong Wubba /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif .

Edit : Spencers Mum just said about the kong wubba /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Oh, another beautiful English beagle! :heart: I haven't had a puppy for quite some time so can't offer much advice on that subject. You seem to be getting good tips from others.

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
Well, for the food, I am not a huge fan of Royal Canin. They have corn in their kibble which is really just a filler and there is nothing really healthy about it. If you think about it, humans can't even digest corn, our bodies just polish it up and send it right back out. LOL

When looking at a kibble, you will want to look at the first 5 ingredients. The one I had used for my dogs when they were pups is Merrick which is actually what they are on now, just another formula of it.

http://www.merrickpetcare.com/store/detail.php?c=14&s=20280

For Royal Canin, these are the first 5 ingredients in the Puppy formula:
Chicken meal, brown rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols, rosemary extract and citric acid), rice, corn gluten meal,

And just to compare, here are the forst 5 in the Merrick:
Ingredients:
Organic Chicken, Turkey Meal, Oatmeal, Duck, Chicken Meal

Just by comparing these two, you can see that the Merrick has more meat in it and less grains and fillers.

And now where I went wrong??? Well, for one, I should have crate trained Spencer from Day 1 and not thought of it as being mean to keep him in a crate. Sydney is crate trained and does not have any problems at all. We have actually now had to go up to a large outdoor kennel set up in my basement for Spencer because he can eat his way out of crates. (If oyu take a quick look through some of my threads on Spencer's SA, you will see what I mean).

I always thought that Spencer would just get used to us leaving for work since we do it 5 days a week. Untreated SA will not just go away on it's own, I have learned that the hard way.

If you are able to get your hands on the book "I'll Be Home Soon" but Patricia B. McConnell it is definitely worth a read. It is only about 35 pages long but it has a lot of information in it.

When Spencer was 4.5 months old, he was breaking out of the bathroom that we were keeping him in. We just started at that point to leave him loose in the house. This was probably a mistake as well. By the end, he was peeing on the carpet almost 4 out of 5 days a week while we were at work. It is not because he wasn't trained, it is because he got so nervous and upset that we were gone that he would just go. You usually only see this in severe cases.

When we moved to our new house in July 07, we decided that for the dogs sake and ours, we were going to start crating them both (Sydney had always been crated). In October I got a video camera to tape them while I was gone to see what they did. It turns out that Spencer was actually barking and scrating and whining and trying to eat his way out of his kennel for over 3 hours and during that time, Spencer & Sydney were actually fighting. Since that day, they have had to be in their own crates. Sydney is in the one that is held together with zip ties and Spencer is in the kennel right next to her.

Things have gotten better with Spencer and he only barks for about an hour now so it's an improvement but I have a long way to go still. Don't expect to see results over night, I have been working on this for 6 months now and you can barely see the progress. Some dogs can be fixed in weeks, others take years. You are doing it right though at trying to fix this while your pup is so young so that you never end up in a situation like I am in now. Puppies are open to learning new things at such a young age, it's harder to teach an old dog new tricks. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

1 - 13 of 13 Posts