Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
Dodger
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I think I broke Dodgers spirit, I went out of town for 5 days and he was boarded, now after 2 days at home he only comes out of his crate to eat and walk when I ask him to come out and potty. it’s soooooooo sad. Has anyone else had this experience after their baby was boarded? I keep thinking maybe it changed his personality, or maybe he’s mad at me, but when we walk he pull just like normal…lol, but he sleeps way to much, but he doesn’t act sick, just sleeps , I did change his bedding, it‘s softer and because he got a bath and it’s clean, but I do that all the time when he gets a bath, but it is a new blanket with his baby blanky, I don’t know guys, what do you think, it’s scary me…. Is it possible he’s calming down he is 3 after all, maybe the boarding did the trick, for calming? Please help me understand.

· Super Moderator
5,421 Posts
I don't think he's mad at you, just a bit confused and probably VERY tired from being at the boarding place with other dogs. Even when we took our beagle on a trip he would sleep for days afterwards. Beagles are creatures of habit and that change of routine might have messed him up.

· Registered
209 Posts
Agree it's possibly tiredness/stress from boarding - a change in their routine as Molly's Mom stated. When I boarded my beagle/lab mix, Dini, she didn't "speak" to me for days - she didn't greet me wildly when I picked her up and turned the other direction when I looked at her in the car! Her way of objecting to me not taking her (as I often travelled with her). She was also a wild child before puppy classes and I thought I broke her spirit then, too but she was just more aware there were rules and she had to follow them. If Dodger isn't better in a week or shows signs of illness, I would check with your vet.

· Registered
Dodger
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do agree with you two, Dodger is better now, but still sleeps a lot, he seems to be a bit calmer these days more like a dog that’s learned a few things, maybe being away and being in that kennel has changed him a bit. When we are out walking, ( off leash ) 4 in the mornin, when he‘s potting he stays right with me he’s a better boy these days. Today I had to going up this hill that was deep snow and it was going to be hard for me, so I ask Dodger to take me home, He knows where home is so, up the hill he pulled me right up and all the way to the driveway, I pet so hard and hugged him so much and that tail just wagged he knew what he had just done he helped mom, but he has done this before but with much encouragement today was different, I think he’s growing up a bit. I have a question also, what do you guys think about this, I want to get him one of tho calming beds, he’s had others like them and I keep his crate door open all day and he goes in a out all day, and Molly taught me to tether Dodger so he can’t roam and get into trouble , that works (I think it was Molly) anyways it’s great for Dodge, so my question is at 3 in February if I take his toys and put them away at bedtime put foot away or out of reach just leave that calming bed and his crate door open do you think he(as a beagle) he ready for this?

· Super Moderator
5,421 Posts
I think it was Cassie that gave you tether advice. My daughter uses a tether on her dog when he needs to behave. Sometimes something just clicks in a dog, they learn the behavior that we have been trying to get them to do.

· Registered
Dodger
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think it was Cassie that gave you tether advice. My daughter uses a tether on her dog when he needs to behave. Sometimes something just clicks in a dog, they learn the behavior that we have been trying to get them to do.

· Registered
Dodger
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
UPDATE

Dodger is is doing fine, but mom needs help with his pulling…. But who doesn’t that owns a beagle, and I want to ask anyone if it would be possible at his age 3 to leave him out at night, but leave him tethered to his crated, so he can’t wonder, yet he can go in an out of his crate like he does during the day. I will also put all his toys away except some of his bone so that he doesn’t think it’s play time. I am looking for advice on this to see if this is a good idea for Dodder to maybe try to see if he is growing up a little, give him some freedom? It scares me to think he might be ok or tear things up, but he’s in the same room as he will no doubt keep me awak….just need to know guys what you think? Now I‘ll hush…lol👌

· Registered
6,550 Posts
Hi
Cassie wears a leash in the house and just drags it around.. its amazing how it controls her.
As for the crate..i dont tie her to her crate. The crate door now is always open. She goes in and out during the day. She goes in at night and the door stays open. I have the crate in a corner of the dining room which opens to the kitchen..i use a doggie fence to block her from going any further loose in the house at night. I can walk out of that area and tell her to go to her crate at night and she does on her own.

Dog Comfort Product Dog supply Carnivore

· Registered
37 Posts
As for your original question, my sister’s dog loves going to daycare because he loves to play with other dogs. When she boards him there for several days, he will sleep for days afterwards because he is just so tired from playing all of the time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts