Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hubby and I have started walking the Wonder Twins this past week again. Our walking trip is a mile.

Tonight Hubby had a friend coming over after work so I took Lillie first on a week, intending to only walk half way but deciding to go ahead and walk the entire round. As I rounded the last turn, I saw Hubby with Chloe ready in her harness ready to walk again.

So I took Chloe, again only intending to walk halfway but ended up walking the entire loop again......................

By the last 1/4 mile, I was going against every single thing that I have learned from Ceasar in not letting the dog walk me, but Chloe was pulling me to keep me from falling over :biglaugh: !

So now my feet hurt. My shins hurt. My hamstrings hurt.........and where do you think the Wonder Twins are????? Yep in the backyard hunting! Go figure!

·
Registered
751 Posts
what great exercise!

I cannot wait to begin walking Marley a ways into the neighborhood, etc. Hubby and I used to do that before Marley came to live with us but have cut that down since the Vet said to keep him in the yard untl 5 mths old. For now, we walk him on our property, and in front of the house down the street a little ways, but he's mostly in the back or front yard, and driveway. He seems to enjoy it but I cannot wait for the longer walks.

And even at 5 months it cannot be very long or a jog pace right? Still have to wait for that?

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Your poor feet and legs will soon get used to it...I walk my two 5 miles every day during the week and up to 10 miles at the weekend.

Though I've hurt my back at the moment lifting Sherry in and out the car so they'll be lucky if they get half that :rolleyes:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Your legs will soon get used to it :lol2:

My hounds walk for one and ahalf hours a day.This is partially off lead running across saltmarshes and sanddunes.
This includes Griffin who is over 11 and has spondylosis in his neck.A fit hound is a healthier hound. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
I bring Spencer running with me on the weekends, last weekend we did 8km in an hour. He then came home and played with Sydney for a while. I walk my two every night, we usually do about 3km or so.

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Jennifer:
Your poor feet and legs will soon get used to it...I walk my two 5 miles every day during the week and up to 10 miles at the weekend.

Wow, Jennifer! I'm very impressed!! And exhausted just thinking about walking that far!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif How long does it take you to walk your girls 5 miles? Miss Shiloh is so pokey, stopping to sniff at everything, it takes me forever just to walk 3 blocks to the park!! :rolleyes:

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Quote: Wow, Jennifer! I'm very impressed!! And exhausted just thinking about walking that far!! How long does it take you to walk your girls 5 miles? Miss Shiloh is so pokey, stopping to sniff at everything, it takes me forever just to walk 3 blocks to the park!!
Hehe.... the same with Chloe... it takes forever!!!

·
Registered
540 Posts
We walk Cecil and Brandy a mile in the morning. If hubby is up to it, then he walks Brandy and I walk Cecil, but in opposite directions due to the competetiveness of who gets the lead. If he is not, then I walk them individually each a mile. Usually I walk both of them together a mile in the evening, but it's been so hot, we have skipped some of our evening walks. Be glad for a little cooler weather and then I can do the evening walk with no problem. I love to walk them together. If we see a human or dog friend, there is some pulling to get there, but usually they walk nice, one on either side of me. After we have done business so to speak, then we walk in the middle of the road so as to keep down on the sniffing thing. The morning walk or a walk after a rain is heck as the girls want to sniff all the new stuff!!!! You really do get used to it and it's healthy for us as people not to mention how great it is for our pups health. Keep it up,,,,the pain will subside and you will do just fine.

Also wear good walking shoes. When I wear other than that, my feet hurt also.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
WOW I am impressed with 10 miles too! The Wonder Twins are so strong, I can not attempt to walk both of them at once for fear of them jerking my arms out of socket :hysterical: .

I have been wearing my Birkenstock sandals which is the only shoes I can walk in but I am thinking I am going to have to invest in some higher dollar tennis shoes that my inserts will fit in.

BTW The Wonder Twins stay outside everyday so they are always running in our fenced in backyard. It is not like they don't get any exercise.............

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Genie:
Wow, Jennifer! I'm very impressed!! And exhausted just thinking about walking that far!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif How long does it take you to walk your girls 5 miles?
The 5 miles are split into 3 walks.

I do 1 mile in the morning which is a leisurely stroll taking about 30 mins. I do another mile at lunch time which is a much brisker 15 to 20 mins. Then early evening I do 3 miles which can take 1 hour to 1 1/2 depending on the weather etc.

I aim to walk them at least 2 hours a day and chop and change times and routes to keep things interesting.

At the weekend me and hubby share walks and he sometimes takes up to 3 hours to walk 5 miles so that Sherry doesn't get tired. I often take Rosa on a separate walk again in the evening after hubby has walked her in the morning which is normally about 5 miles. I wouldn't expect Sherry to walk that much, she is too old and has a heart condition.

I don't get tired because I'm used to it. And I don't ever push the dogs to do more than they are capable of.

PS: Edited to add that the correct footwear is essential, it makes a lot of difference to how my feet/legs feel if I walk in just regular shoes or proper serious walker trainers.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hubby usually takes Angel and Chief and I take Kota. Kota thinks he has to be the lead dog so I usually go out the door first. If he goes out last he pulls and howls like crazy until he is in front again. Funny with him tho, if I take him out without a leash he stays right by my side and does not leave, on a leash he thinks he has to pull, I have never figured that one out.
Chief has a funny habit though, He always takes one of his chew bones outside with him, and when we get across the street to the park, he quickly buries in in a small area of soft ground and when we are done walking he drags us back, digs it up and carries it back into the house.
After their walk they usually go hang out on the deck, where Chief will carry his chew bone and and promptly bury it in one of my potted flower plants and then again dig it up and bring it back in with him.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts