Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I hate to ask since I haven't been here much and only posted once but I would love some prayers for my Donald. He has congestive heart failure which has been controlled so far by meds...but he is coughing alot. I need prayers so that I do the right thing when the time comes=maybe tomorrow....I lost my Daisy in Feb (hence my first post-and thank you for all your kind words-I WILL do more here and tell you all about my two little beags....). I just always thought that he would tell me he was ready if he stopped eating...well you know beagles and he still loves his chicken and pills! But he is coughing more...I have given more lasix...what my vet said to do....I will take him to her in in the morning. I just pray I don't jump the gun since it is a holiday weekend...and feel like it is now or a looonnngg weekend ...I love our vet and want her to be there...not in the Emergency Center with Dr SOandSO....who has never met Donald....I guess I just need prayers..and so does Donald...he has been through SO much....I will tell you about him sometime...I always have said...he has such a big heart-too big for his own good....he doesn't know he is sick...when there is chicken in front of him....he is all smiles...I guess I need a sign---like no more tail wags...or no more eating...Oh I don't know! I am just rambling now with tears....he is such a trooper.....I just can't pull the plug when he still loves himself some chicken...I just want there to be no doubt like it was with Daisy...but this is killing me...sorry....and thankyou...

·
Registered
890 Posts
Prayers given. It is so hard to let them go. He will let you know when it is time. Look inot his eyes and he will tell you. Just hug him close and enjoy him for the time you have left together.

Our last dog (not a beagle) that passed had COPD and we were giving her steroids to help her breathing. At the point that we were giving her so much and it still wasn't helping, we knew it was time.

Talk to your vet and maybe she will be available over the weekend for you and Donald if you have to. I have heard of vets who will come to your house so they will be in a safe comfortable place when the time comes.

Good Luck. Hopefully Donald will be ok for a few more days.

·
Super Moderator
5,050 Posts
He will definately let you kow when he is ready. When my Benny was at the end with his heart failure he was looking in my eyes while laying on my lap. My greyhound jake came and layed down beside us and sighed.

I am so sorry that your boy is sick :( Prayers for you and your family.

·
Registered
959 Posts
He will tell you when it's time...you just have to be listening to him. I didn't believe it either, and almost took our Chipper in twice before he finally crawled into the bathtub..something that he would have never done had it not been his way of telling me it was time to leave. Call your vet, if she/he is as wonderful as you feel, ask them if they will come to the clinic or your home over the holiday if the time should come. Most of the good ones will do that, simply because they know how important it is to us.

And know that we are all praying for you, those of us who have been to the end and the beginning of the bridge know the pain you are feeling. Those who haven't live knowing that someday it will be their turn and we'll gather around you. I'll be praying with hugs for you .

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
My Murray (Newfoundland mix) had CHF. I knew it was time when he woke up crying, and couldn't stand up. It was a holiday weekend (Memorial Day) but I had spoken to my vet, and he made sure that he was 'on call' for Murray. When we got there, I was told that the vet could give Murray a few more uncomfortable hours - or he could ease him out, kindly. We talked for a half hour before I made the decision, and I held him when he went.
It was hard, and I agonized over 'when'. But when the time comes, you will know. Donald and you are in my thoughts, and my prayers.

·
Registered
220 Posts
paws pressed for you here!
dont worry about number of posts, i think the people here will always be there for you. we have been there before and share your pain.
damn i hate it when these forums make me cry.
i miss my beandog, my arlo one puppy, my elsie the cowdog,fildaria, charlie,the big moo, bailey and michelle.50years of love and companionship and even though im crying now i wouldnt change it for the world.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I am very sorry. When my cat had this I was able to do 2 taps on him and after that it was enough. I understand. It's so hard. Lots of hugs and prayers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts