Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So about 3 weeks about we adopted a Bluetick Coonhound named Joey. He was ok for the first couple days but has become a real nuisance. Most everything I can handle but he's starting to push Fin around. Now I wouldn't have worried before since Fin likes to play a little rough but I beleive it has gotten worse. Joey outweighs Fin by 50 lbs, and he has resorted to literally smacking Fin in the face and rolling on top of him. He also won't let Fin eat his food, he pushes Fin out of the way to eat everything. I've been noticing Fin's personality has shifted too; he no longer seems as loving and is hiding all the time from Joey. The only time they seem to be getting along is when they're outside using the bathroom. I really want to keep Joey but I'm afraid I'm damaging Fin by having the dog in our house. It seems with everyday Fin is more and more reclusive towards Joey and myself. I don't know what to do with him. The people who were fostering him before said we could bring him back if it doesn't work out but I don't just want to drop this guy off. Is there anything else I could try and do for them to get along? I'm just really worried about Fin, we had him first and I feel that he feels discarded by the new dog. The fact that he doesn't want to play and cuddle is just crazy because he's the exact opposite normally. I don't want to alienate my first baby because my heart wants to help out this other dog.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I'm sorry to read this. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif The first question, as always, is; are both the boys neutered? If not, that could contribute to the problem. As for Joey eating Fin's food, the best solution for that is to feed them in separate areas. We do this because we have 4 dogs, and it does work. Needless to say, we have set feeding times and don't attempt to free feed. It does sound as though Fin is intimidated by Joey, and I wish I could give you sage advice, but other than suggesting that Joey be corrected when he's bullying Fin I don't know what to say. Hopefully others, such as Cheerio, can offer better advice. Good luck and please keep us posted.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Early last year, my mom took in a stray, a pup of about 3-4 months old. She kept him in the garage as she didn't want our beagle, who's lived in the house with us, to know. Somehow Boeing found out about the new kid and he became so jealous that he mostly kept to himself. We still fed him first and praised him more and played with him because we wanted him to know that he was still our number one boy. But I could feel there was something different about how he acted toward us; he was more aloof and detached and I really felt so bad. As it happened, the stray, which we named Sooky, actually had an owner--one of our neighbors from two blocks up. The guy came looking for his pup after he heard the barking and recognized it as coming from his lost pup. So after just a few days with us, Sooky went back home with his owner, and Boeing became his same old self. Now, everytime Boeing and I walk past Sooky's house, the two dogs will greet each other like old friends /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif . So, in my case the two dogs get along just fine since they don't live in the same house.

So, I think I know how it is with little Fin since my Boeing was there before. I truly hope you'll find the right solution very soon.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help, we have been feeding them seperately since the first day but Fin takes his time with the food and likes to leave some for later and Joey will find it no matter where we put it. I'm mostly worried about Fin's well-being, he's just not te same pup anymore. Doesn't really respond to us or Joey, he only comes to us if we have a snack or one of his toys and as soon as Joey gets up to play he runs back under the couch. I'm going to talk to the foster people today and see what they think about the situation. Hopefulyy this will work itself out. Thanks again for those who responded.

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Did Joey's foster family have other dogs? Do you know how Joey acted towards them? I think Sandy has a good suggestion about getting them both neutered.
Maybe it's a territorial thing. Joey wants to be the alpha dog--this is why he's eating Fin's food. Since I never had much luck convincing Miss Shiloh that Misty was our alpha dog and not Herself, I'm probably not the best person to offer help with this. But I know exactly how you feel, watching Fin withdraw. Continue to give Fin lots of loving and one on one time without Joey. You might ask your vet or a dog trainer if they have any suggestions. Good luck, and let us know how things go.
BTW, do you have a picture of Joey? I love Blueticks!! (Of course we'd love to see a pic of Fin too!)

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
I'm glad you're going to try some advice from foster parents....they DO understand the adjustment problems. Ask vets and trainers for advice also. There is probably good info on the net too.

I have two dogs who successfully made the adjustment, and I try and foster dogs on occasion also. Whenever a foster comes into the house, there is always the 'battle for position' until the dogs agree on the pack order.

Keeping my fingers crossed for ya! :thumbup:

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey, I forgot to mention that they are both neutured. And there are pictures posted under my other post a couple week's ago called "A new hound". We spoke to the vet and he said that Fin probably feels neglected and that we need to show him our attention seperate from Joey and even out of Joey's sight. He also said feedings have to be seperate because Fin will not eat with Joey around, and even allow him to take the food away. We have been keeping them seperate for feedings and treats and even when they go to the bathroom. Fin will not go if Joey's out there. It definitely seems like a power struggle with these two and Joey being the dominant all the time. The original foster's had 2 other dogs and they all got along fine. They seem to think its because Fin is so much smaller and the other dogs were big like Joey. They actually called us last night to see how things were and said they had been in touch with the original owner who found a family in North Carolina that have a farm and other dogs living there. Anyways they wanted to know if we were interested in sending Joey there. The more I think about it, the more I think its for the best for Joey. He needs the room and the other big dogs, and we need our Fin back. So I will let you all know how things go. I'm still just torn up about it, I don't want Joey to be shipped around anymore and I feel that he is starting to warm up to us. On the other hand, we could be helping this dog live a satisfied life on a farm with more freedom. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well things have not gotten better in the household. We got in touch with the foster's and they had had a family lined up before we adopted him but there was some sort of family emergency where they couldn't take him right away. Well now they really want him and they have a farm for him to run on. He will be leaving on Sunday to go to his forever home for real. After talking with our vet about the issues going on he suggested we completely seperate them, so Fin has been staying at my parents' house. I visit him everday and I tell him that we're coming back for him, and it doesn't even seem to phase him. My mom adores beagles so she is eating this up. I do feel bad for Joey but in my heart I know this is the best situation for all of us involved:
Fin will have his home back
We will have our beagie back
And most importantly, Joey will get to live on a farm and have his forever home!

This still pains me that it didn't work out and I'm definitely going to wait a few months before getting another packmember for Fin. He will probably be so happy with having us back all to himself, his seperation anxiety will subside for a little bit at least. In June we're getting a house, so maybe that will be the right time to add to the pack. I've learned now that Fin needs a trial period with any dog we bring into his domain. Thanks for all the help and support, and thank you for not chatizing me for giving up a rescue. I love my beag more than my own life.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Laxmobster, it's clear you did your best to make this work, but you can't force a square peg into a round hole. You got the next best possible outcome for Joey and that's what is important. I would never have brought another dog in here that made Buckley completely miserable. Two trial weekends showed us that they were very happy and compatible and it has worked really well for us. I'm sure you will find Fin a sister or brother down the road that will make him really happy!! I'm sure Fin will be so happy to come home to you this weekend /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Boeing's mom:
Laxmobster, sometimes the best solution doesn't have to be the happiest. You did your best. :angel:
:exactly:

·
Registered
794 Posts
I agree, you did your best. I have worried a little about our Georgia, but we let her sleep with us, versus Polly going into the crate...
after hearing your story, I guess my two are getting along okay...
I'm sure Fin will be back to his old self soon! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
You have made the correct decision, Joey has a new home and Fin can feel he is top dog again. I would suggest that if you do decide to get another beagle then a female would have more chance. Fin sounds like he is terretorial, but most boy dogs like a bitch around. I dont think our Snoopy would allow another male into our house, but he welcomed Susi's sister, Jenny, when she visited.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts