Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know she is only 5 months old and that we have to get thru the puppy stages but Lilley is crazy. I have taken our 3 y/o Eskie to dog school so I've taken what I've learned there and tried to teach Lilley the same. Nothing is working for her behavior. She was easy to housebreak, easy to teach to sit, lay, and roll over. What we can't teach her is to not jump on people. She is knocking over our 1 y/o and all I need her to do is run up the stairs after him and knock him down. She is constantly jumping up to the kitchen table and taking food. She is grabbing food from the kids hands. If they are walking around with a pack of fruit snacks or something she will even wake up from a deep sleep, fly across the room and grab it from them.

I dont want to have that dog that jumps. We have tried ignoring her and turning our backs. That worked for about 2 days and now she'll just jump at your back. She has ripped so many shirts already by her jumping up and snipping. She's not being mean when she snips/bites either.

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Maybe, attach a leash to her and put your foot on it so that when she jumps she physically won't be able to. Eventually she will get the point. This won't work for the 1 year old but it might help.

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
I have the problem with Molly (who is 3) and have the bruises on my legs to prove it! She just wants to be close to me, she even puts her paws up on Jake and Andy because they are tall. One thing that helps is a sharp Molly down from my husband. I agree about the leash too, if you have a visitor to your house and think she will jump, hook her to the leash and keep it short.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We are doing the leash. We had chocolate lab 4 years ago. That is the only dog we have ever had to get rid of...not proud, I loved him. He did this too and the instructor said to use the leash. This dog would jump on cars as they pulled down the driveway. He damaged so many cars! The breaking point was he was pinning our oldest son to the ground. He would trip him and pin him down. My son is special needs so I dont know if he sensed he was weaker than the other kids but he singled him out. I just see traits in Lilley that are just like the lab. I'm glad Lilley is much much smaller so it's not hurtful when she jumps it's just irritating! Lilley does know she is not suppose to do this because when we say no she will sit or lay down. We just have to stop her before she does it. We are also trying to greet her by telling her to sit before anyone touches her. She's doing ok at this today. She came in from outside and sat at the door until I told her to go.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
We taught Maggie off and also sit when vistors come in the door. The only time she doesn't do this now is if my mom and dad or a friend of mine that she really likes comes in. Those people don't mind the jumping so I have let that go.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Our 7 month old is a jumper too. We do the stand, turn-away and ignore when he does jump. But in order for that to work you need to make a concession to.

When your dog is jumping he is doing it because he wants to get closer to you. What we have found is if you get down on your knees (to his level) and give your beagle a few minutes of dedicated attention they won't jump when you get up. Once your beagle gets his pets fix he's a lot more likely to behave himself. We try and tell visitors this in advance so they are prepared to give him this extra bit of attention.

Also, if Bodie jumps at the back door or the gate to his dog run we turn around and walk away. We continue to do this until he sits (or stands) waiting for the door to be open. He's learned this and it usually only takes one time of doing this before he remembers what he needs to do.

Good luck!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone. I've been working with her alot today since I finally have some alone time. The problem I see is since I am with her all day she behaves for me. When the kids come home from school or my husband comes home that is when all h*** breaks loose with her. She is crazy. The jumping, barking, howling, running around like a mad dog. She does all this for a good hour before settling down. The kids think it's funny so the encourage her by running with her. Then it's time for dinner and it starts all over. She has such issues with food. We feed her while we're eating but she want people food. She will jump up at the table and grab stuff off or out of the kids hands.

I had beagle's growing up my entire life, my dad was a hunter so he would raise them and train them for hunting for people and then off they went. So I saw all kinds but dont remember them ever being like this.

She's easily trained so far, she very well mannered, she's a lover so if this is as bad as it gets I guess we'll survive. Now if I could ony figure out how to post a picture of my little trouble maker!!

·
Registered
847 Posts
Exactly! When your dog sees the rest of the family she's overwhelmed with excitement. That's why you NEED to give her that attention right then and there. Don't just kneel down and go through the motions, spend several minutes at the minimum playing and petting the dog. When you do get up you should see a noticeable improvement.

And definitely teach yours kids this too. If they continue to egg your dog on you'll NEVER correct the behavior.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I think part of the problem is that other members of the family are rewarding the bad behavior. You'll have to be sure that NO ONE is rewarding (even subconsciously) jumping or food-stealing.

Can you physically block Lilley from the dining area while you are eating? If she can't behave around food, then she can't be with you at those times.

I also recommend that you check the Nothing in life is free (NILF) training posts that occur from time to time, since overall, I have found that to be a great way to train, and Lilley is the perfect age for it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Haha.. the title of this post cracks me up!!! Our trainer suggested the approach that you have been doing where you turn around when the dog jumps. In class we would walk up to the dog with a treat and call their name in a very excited voice, if they jumped up we said uh oh and turned away. We kept coming back and trying again until the dog figured out what we wanted. After a few tries, all of the dogs got it and when they finally do sit or not jump up then you treat them. This has worked really well for us. We also use this tactic with dinner time. Ours doesn't care at all about his food if there is human food on the table and jumps up to try to get it. I will use a treat that he really likes and keep a little baggie on the table. If he jumps up I push him down and say uh oh. Once he sits I immediately treat him. He has learned now to sit next to me since I'm the one with the treats and rarely jumps up. He is only 7 months and still learning but is doing much better. If I am walking around eating a snack he will follow me around and keep trying to sit in front of me b/c he now knows that's what I want.

I know it's inconvenient to have treats and do the whole in and out ritual with the dog everytime you come home, same with dinner time but ours picked up on it really quickly and we saw lots of improvement.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Let's try this, I practiced in the photo gallery section now I'll see if I can make it work here. Here is Lilley!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Lilley is a cutie even if she is naughty. My 11 year old beagle is still naughty but he doesn't jump.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I also had problems with my dog jumping up, not at me, that was easy to teach, but at other people - I think the answer is to train the people not to reward it and then training the dog is easy! It is also probably just high energy, maybe when the kids come home you could all go for a walk together so they can all run round / burn some energy off together in the open - tired beagle=good beagle! She's still pretty young, and your dad's hunting beagles may have been less hyper if they were kept with other dogs?

·
Registered
114 Posts
We used a freeze pattern. Everytime JoJo gets out of control I say freeze and everyone in the room stops exactly where they are until she settles. At first it felt like all I was ever doing was standing still! She got the message though, eventually! Now she knows that when she has a mental all the fun stops. Once she's calmed down though I make sure i give her a big cuddle, kiss and a treat for being a good girl.

Lots of priase when she does something good. She'll get the idea, everything is exciting when your a puppy. everything is new

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Crazy dog strikes again....if she'll stay still long enough I'll take a picture.

She got into my purse and got my lipstick. It's all over her face and paws...guess she's just a girly girl!

·
Registered
837 Posts
Teach her an alternative behaviour instead. When Daisy got into a habit of jumping on people as a pup, I would tell her to sit and as soon as she sat she would get attention and a treat. If you are consistent with it, the dog learns that sitting is a better way to get attention.

I now have a dog who will run up to me when I come home, and sit automatically at my feet waiting for a pat.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Haha.. girly girl. I'm sure it wasn't funny at the moment but it is a great story!!! Haha.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Sounds like you have one loveable rascal. Our last beagle used to take advantage of children who dangled bread or an icecream. Spotty was so quick and it was hard not to be amused at the childs astonishment.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts