Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So about a month ago, my husband and I adopted Lynda Carter from animal control, she is approx 8 months old was absolutely covered in ticks and fleas to the point where she was missing fur (it's only just grown back) she was malnourished and incredibly skinny. She was incredibly sweet and shy at first, but after some kennel cough which we cleared up with meds from the vet she started to show her true personality, which I was happy to see after how bad she was at first. Both my husband and I work and so depending on my shift time, she could be left alone in our apartment anywhere from 3-8 hours. We would come home to the usual pee and poop mess you expect with a puppy, even though we would take her out several times before leaving.
This quickly turned into her shredding the couch one day and then after that she continued to do this and chew absolutely ANYTHING she could get to. We moved everything out of reach and continued but without failure we would come home to the couch lining all over the living room and pee and poop everywhere, even if you took her out and then left for half an hour. This is about the time she was due to be spayed and after some discussion with our vet we decided to get a crate to contain her so her stitches could heal because as most puppies do, she tends to go bonkers at least 3 times a day running absolutely crazy around the apartment at full speed. We put treats in the crate and her food, eventually she seemed happy to go in there so we started putting her in it when we went to work, or if she just starts going crazy in general to save her poor stitches. She also has a fetish for the cat litter and after several attempts and corrections, we just do our best to keep her seperated from it. She has since started showing some aggression towards the crate like chewing the bars when she first goes in, but she quickly calms and lays down. But in the last few days she seems to get really angry about the crate. This morning I took her out to pee and then had to drive my husband to work. I figured I'd put her and her open crate in the bathroom for the 20 minutes I'd be gone, because I hate confining her. Coming home she had chewed and shredded the towels, toilet paper, knocked over her water bowl and shredded her pee pad and a box of tissues and the hand wash. Yesterday I took her out to the dog park for an hour to sniff (she actually enjoys this more than walking), then walked her for 15 minutes before I left for work. As I was getting ready (which takes 5 mins) she chewed our living room blinds and ripped stuffing out of the couch. She also destroyed her new bed which was inside the crate that day while I was at work. I just feel kinda lost because I read that bored dogs chew, so I try to excercise her, but it seems like she throws a tantrum and destroys stuff every chance she gets. And when u walk her on the leash, she is pulling like crazy the whole time, we tried a retractable leash and she just ran around crazy tangling herself on trees. If she sees another person or dog she will cry and go crazy pulling trying to get to them to say hi, if u try to stop her she will go crazy and even nipped at me once. I feel so tired, I walk her as much as I can, I just don't know what I'm doing wrong. Any help would be great. I just want her and me to be happy. I thought owning a dog was supposed to be a nice experience sometimes, but she's really starting to make me anxious in general. I'm not the kind of person to ever spank an animal but yesterday I got so close. I just feel bad for her cos she clearly has a lot of energy, but she's kinda driving me crazy. I hate that the most common thing we say to her is "No!". Any advice would be great!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
Oye vay...a dog doesn't come pre-programmed so it will take a lot of work now to get this under control. The dog doesn't know what is Not to be destroyed. The dog should be in a restricted area until you get this managed. The dog should be crated while you're gone. Make it comfortable inside the crate with towels and blanket. Put on music while you're out.
Get your dog into an obedience class ASAP!! And work on commands and training. Use a clicker to assist with your training. ..it's a cheap and useful tool which you can find videos on how to use it. My dog is now 4 1/2 and I would never go out without crating despite her good behavior.
Taking on the responsibility of a dog when you're not home was probably not the best decision.
Now that you have the dog start with training, training, training...
Keep us posted on your progress.

·
Super Moderator
5,088 Posts
Seems like you have a lot of issues, the first of course her age. Then moving her to your home from the shelter (and she probably had a home before that somewhere too). She is recovering from her illness also and starting to feel more like herself. I would keep her right by you the best you can when you are home and limit her house access with gates. I don't use crates, I use baby gates. Pick up what you can when you go out or close doors to rooms you don't want her in. Even though you had a changing schedule, try to keep the routine the same as possible ALL the time. Make you coming and goings a non-issue, just hand her something like a Kong stuffed with peanut butter and leave. I have the TV on for my beagles, keeps them calmer or calm music is ok too. I would get her to a basic manners class as soon as you can. You can also get a DAP diffuser or Pheramone spray (Thunder Shirt brand works well). My dogs aren't alone more than 6 hours at a time most of the time. 8 hours is tough on a young dog.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I agree with all of the above.

First critical item: exercise, exercise, exercise! She may enjoy sniffing, but a tired beagle is a good beagle. Now that my son is in college and cannot take her for runs, I put her on a lunge rope (as in long rope used to exercise horses) and let her run circles around me. Second: training! All of our beags need it, and as a survivor of rescues, I can tell you that rescues need it even more than others! Training helps to engage her mind and build a bond between you - as well as establish order!

She sounds as if she is anxious. I had a 200 pound Newfie mix (not sure mixed with what - maybe mastodon!) who displayed a lot of the same behaviors (destroying whatever was in his crate, eating everything - furniture, rugs, electronics . . .). We spent a lot of time working with him, and he became quite a good citizen! Eventually.

Your girl is still a puppy - and may be a bit delayed in growing out of some stages of puppy-hood - many rescues are, it takes time! Just a note - you may be causing some anxiety unintentionally. I never used a pee pad - it sends the message that it is ok to use the house as a bathroom. Make sure that you get cleaners that completely remove the scent. Having a pee pad in her crate (den) causes anxiety because puppies are socialized early by their Moms not to go where they sleep. Imagine how you would feel bedding down in the bathroom!

You may want to start by gating her in an small area, with her crate propped open. She will not feel caged, and it may help her anxiety. Soothing music, white noise, a tape of your voices may help her to relax when you are not home.

There are some great harnesses that reduce pulling (such as 'Yuppie Puppy' and PetCo's no pull harnesses). Teaching her to walk appropriately will help her understand her place in the world - and calm down! Remember - like children, dogs crave structure and boundaries. A trainer can help you establish these.

·
Super Moderator
5,088 Posts
I also have to add, thank you SO much for not giving up on her! I know how hard it is and always appreciate when someone really, really tries to get their rescue dog settled.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
That was nice of you to add that Molly's Mom. It sounds like you do have a lot going on. Judging by her pictures, luckily Beagles are so cute we don't easily give up on them. She sounds like a complete handful. This is just my advice. To me it sounds like she needs major control taken. Beagles need a strong owner. Don't ever be afraid of a bite or growl, you are in charge. I agree with what everyone has said on here. Exercise, exercise, exercise. Don't give up. When you are approaching someone just stop and let them pass. Stand if front of you dog, make her sit and wait as they walk by this will help gain control of the craziness as you pass people. If the person is willing and your dog is calmer let the dogs greet each other. It's a process that takes a lot of practice. I use a crate, it works for me but I don't know the history of your dog and she may have been in one for long periods and doesn't like them. You will need to have a safe area in your house, no free reign no way. She has not earned that. I think 8 hours is a long time for a puppy to be alone. That may very well be why you are coming home to what you are. Can one of you run home on lunch or something? If you are committed, you have to make time for her to meet her needs. It is a lot of work and I'm not saying people who work can't leave dogs for 8 hours, right now, you can't though. She's still too young and isn't potty trained or capable of being trusted alone. I really feel for where you are and hope you can figure out how she can stay in your home. It will take a lot of work but there is a lot of good advice on here and if you are will you will have a nice little companion for many years.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you so much for the response! I'm definitely not giving up on her any time soon. I did want to clarify that she is only ever in the crate for a maximum of 8 hours for 1-2 days out of the whole week. Most days its actually closer to 3 hours, and yes we do return home if we are at all able on the long day in particular. I will definitely try the kong and leaving some music on, I actually didn't think of that, and we are looking into some training classes at petsmart. As I type this she is being a perfect angel curled up on the bed at my feet. I know she will eventually calm once she gets used to us and realizes we aren't going to leave her. I think I was just so overwhelmed when I typed up this post. But I appreciate all the help :)

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
Are you using the crate for your dog to sleep in at night? My dog loves her crate despite having 3 dog beds placed in various rooms. My do actually will get out of a dog bed and come to me to indicate it's time for her to be taken to the crate. I always give her a treat after she goes in so it makes the crate a place to get a reward. I close the door and cover most of the crate with a small sheet. She goes in about 6pm and usually gives a yelp for a trip outside for another pee...then back in and another little treat.
The obedience class should help with the dog listening to you but you have to practice at home. I don't give treats unless it's earned. Lol
We've all had some challenges of one sort or another so feel free to ask for help or ideas. Also you can go to "search" and put in key words to bring up great past posts.

·
Super Moderator
5,088 Posts
We all know about the overwhelmed feeling! I have 3 beagles so my patience gets tested quite often. Once she learns your routine and like you said, that you aren't abandoning her, she will start to relax.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Someone mentioned a kong filled with peanut butter. Freeze it so it's harder for her to get to. It works miracles. Give it to her as a treat when you leave and she will be occupied with that instead of your absence. A trainer also suggested to us (we had the same problem) that scattering and hiding very small treats around their contained area when you leave will accomplish the same thing. It's all about distraction. Our dog now loves it when we leave him because he knows he's getting treats!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Our first Beagle almost drove us nuts with all of his shenanigans. He was so cute that giving up on him never entered our minds. You will be richly rewarded for your patience as she gets older and calms down.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I salute your patience! Try providing several chew toys for her to divert attention from hazardous objects that she might nibble on. Know if your dog fits to undergo any sort of training then ask professional advice on the right method of training that you should use. I also suggest remote training collars that might help you in the training process. Patience and persistence are needed. It's great to know that giving up is not part your options.

·
Registered
41 Posts
So about a month ago, my husband and I adopted Lynda Carter from animal control, she is approx 8 months old was absolutely covered in ticks and fleas to the point where she was missing fur (it's only just grown back) she was malnourished and incredibly skinny. She was incredibly sweet and shy at first, but after some kennel cough which we cleared up with meds from the vet she started to show her true personality, which I was happy to see after how bad she was at first. Both my husband and I work and so depending on my shift time, she could be left alone in our apartment anywhere from 3-8 hours. We would come home to the usual pee and poop mess you expect with a puppy, even though we would take her out several times before leaving.
This quickly turned into her shredding the couch one day and then after that she continued to do this and chew absolutely ANYTHING she could get to. We moved everything out of reach and continued but without failure we would come home to the couch lining all over the living room and pee and poop everywhere, even if you took her out and then left for half an hour. This is about the time she was due to be spayed and after some discussion with our vet we decided to get a crate to contain her so her stitches could heal because as most puppies do, she tends to go bonkers at least 3 times a day running absolutely crazy around the apartment at full speed. We put treats in the crate and her food, eventually she seemed happy to go in there so we started putting her in it when we went to work, or if she just starts going crazy in general to save her poor stitches. She also has a fetish for the cat litter and after several attempts and corrections, we just do our best to keep her seperated from it. She has since started showing some aggression towards the crate like chewing the bars when she first goes in, but she quickly calms and lays down. But in the last few days she seems to get really angry about the crate. This morning I took her out to pee and then had to drive my husband to work. I figured I'd put her and her open crate in the bathroom for the 20 minutes I'd be gone, because I hate confining her. Coming home she had chewed and shredded the towels, toilet paper, knocked over her water bowl and shredded her pee pad and a box of tissues and the hand wash. Yesterday I took her out to the dog park for an hour to sniff (she actually enjoys this more than walking), then walked her for 15 minutes before I left for work. As I was getting ready (which takes 5 mins) she chewed our living room blinds and ripped stuffing out of the couch. She also destroyed her new bed which was inside the crate that day while I was at work. I just feel kinda lost because I read that bored dogs chew, so I try to excercise her, but it seems like she throws a tantrum and destroys stuff every chance she gets. And when u walk her on the leash, she is pulling like crazy the whole time, we tried a retractable leash and she just ran around crazy tangling herself on trees. If she sees another person or dog she will cry and go crazy pulling trying to get to them to say hi, if u try to stop her she will go crazy and even nipped at me once. I feel so tired, I walk her as much as I can, I just don't know what I'm doing wrong. Any help would be great. I just want her and me to be happy. I thought owning a dog was supposed to be a nice experience sometimes, but she's really starting to make me anxious in general. I'm not the kind of person to ever spank an animal but yesterday I got so close. I just feel bad for her cos she clearly has a lot of energy, but she's kinda driving me crazy. I hate that the most common thing we say to her is "No!". Any advice would be great!
-My stars..... Cassies mom is right..... It is going to take time our puppy Cooper "daisy" loves the bathroom toilet paper rolls (any paper as a matter of fact) Restrict its access ... Good luck... and Cassies mom has great advise

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts