Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rosa's 2 years old now and she's a wopping 18 inch. I think this is her full size already, she can't grow anymore. Weighs about 40 pounds. The breeder I got her from said that she will weigh about 25 lbs but I think she's secretly Clifford and she had a growth spurt out of nowhere lol. She looks really small in pics for some reason but next to other beagles in my neighborhood shes huge.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Shes cute.. its a little tricky to determine. 18 inches is surely big. It does appear shes a little overweight.. what do you feed your dog and how much?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shes cute.. its a little tricky to determine. 18 inches is surely big. It does appear shes a little overweight.. what do you feed your dog and how much?
I've recently only been feeding her once a day so she can lose some weight. I'm not sure how often I should feed her, she's my first dog. I usually feed her brown rice and steamed chicken and mix a bit of dog food in it because she's picky and doesn't like to eat her dog food. My mom likes to sneak her leftovers when I'm not looking. So that's one of the reasons why she's overweight t.t

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I agree she looks a bit overweight.

Our guys are fed 2x/day. We weigh their food on the kitchen scale and follow the suggestions for how many grams and calories on the food bag. We also modify as necessary.

You could ask the vet what her caloric requirement is, or figure out her goal weight (that's why I'm thinking you may want to ask her vet, so you know what she should weight) and feed the calorie requirement of that weight.

Reactions: moonlightgekko

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
The leftovers is what makes her picky. Those foods generally contain fats that cause things like pancreatitis. Stick to dog food 2x day. Add low sodium canned green beans as a no calorie item to fill her up. . Brown rice is a high carb food that puts on weight. . Find a good quality dog food to feed your dog. You can check the quality of what you're buying at
Www.dogfoodadvisor.com

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
She is cute! Yes too big. Those darn moms!;) I agree twice per day. She looks like a Beagle but she could be mixed with something. It's hard to tell. Cassie feeds Fresh Pet. I've tried it with my Autumn but the dry food is easier and lasts longer. You might want to try Fresh Pet since yours is picky. Yes no table scraps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
She is cute! Yes too big. Those darn moms!;) I agree twice per day. She looks like a Beagle but she could be mixed with something. It's hard to tell. Cassie feeds Fresh Pet. I've tried it with my Autumn but the dry food is easier and lasts longer. You might want to try Fresh Pet since yours is picky. Yes no table scraps.
I have cut her off completely from human food and I just put dog food on her bowl to eat but she's so used to eating food other than dog food that she literally does not eat and waits the whole entire day until she finally gives in and eats dry food because she's starving. Sometimes she doesnt eat it till next morning. I'm concerned that she's starving herself. Do you think she'll eventually eat normal if I only just give her dry food?

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Try Freshpet.. you can find it in the refridgerated section of the dog food..Target, Walmart, and some grocery stores carry it. Its in a roll and I slice off the feeding..chop it up and give it a few seconds in the microwave just to take the chill out. My dog loves it. I buy a large size roll which lasts almost 2 weeks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have cut her off completely from human food and I just put dog food on her bowl to eat but she's so used to eating food other than dog food that she literally does not eat and waits the whole entire day until she finally gives in and eats dry food because she's starving. Sometimes she doesnt eat it till next morning. I'm concerned that she's starving herself. Do you think she'll eventually eat normal if I only just give her dry food?
I had the same problem with my beagle, but they will eat when they are hungry enough and if you keep at it, once they realise they aren't getting anything else, she will go back to eating it normally. I feed only dry food and she very rarely gets human food, only pieces of ham every now and again i may stick in her kong.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The weight isn’t an issue with being pure bred. It’s the length. Beagles come in 13 or 15 inch variety if purebred. But no joke, your doggie is so super cute!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The weight isn’t an issue with being pure bred. It’s the length. Beagles come in 13 or 15 inch variety if purebred. But no joke, your doggie is so super cute!!!
Yeah I mean originally I wasn't really talking about the weight I was talking about how big, as in how tall she is compared to other beagles but then everybody started talking about her weight in the comments lol. But I mean the breeder said she's purebred and her mom and dad are average size beagles so idk maybe she's just different? Cause there are pocket beagles and they're smaller than 13 and 15 inch. Im tempted to buy a dna test and find out tbh.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Pure bred does not equal well bred. There are two classes for beagles, 13" or 15".. Your dog may be a 15" inch class beagle that grew a bit bigger. 18" is only 3 inches above breed standard.

Don't worry about your dog going hungry, if she's hungry, she'll eat.. especially if she's eaten the kibble mixed with other stuff before.

Dogs WILL get picky and I dont put up with it, I have a "eat or starve" mentality. I've even been known to take away food after 20 mins and then give it back at the second mealtime. Trains the dog to eat the food when you put it down, or don't eat at all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts