Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
hey guys and gals...new here with a lil male beagle thats about a year old..hes generally a really good dog besides the fact he likes to eat pants and underwear every now and then...but my biggest problem with his is that if he finds something on his own,it could be anything from underwear to a piece of trash, and when i go to take it away from him he either runs away or when i do get a hold of it he will growl and bite...just like 2 sec ago he ended up biting the hell out of me cause i took a wrapper away from him.. and when i when to pick him up to put him outside he was still made and bit me even more...now this is not how i pictured my beagle..im taking him this weekend to get fixed to see if that will help out a lil...

does anyone else have this problem with there beagle?? i mean if he has his toy i can take it from him anytime i want and he doesnt care but its when he finds things on his own is when the problem arises... heres a pic of the lil monster..his name is duke and i love him to death... i just wish he wouldnt bite thanks guys

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
First of all, welcome! Your beagle is very handsome, love the ticking :)

Beagles will get into anything they can, I have to sort/fold my laundry behind a closed door else I wind up playing catch that beagle with the sock, underwear, shorts, whatever, in his mouth. So that is normal.

The aggression on the other hand is not. I only had minimal experience with this last year when we adopted Gino, our 6 year old beagle/basset mix. He guarded a lot and I assume it was from losing his home, being in a shelter, then a foster home for so long. He repsonded pretty well to a firm "No" and I stood my ground. I never got aggressive with him, that will only make things worse. This went on for the first 2 or 3 months. Once he realized he was safe it never happened again.

Your situation is a little different so hoepfully someone else can give you more detailed advice on how to handle this. There are some great beagle owners on this site with lots of experience!

Good luck!

·
Registered
22 Posts
oh boy

welcome!! I have had this problem with my beagle who is now 8 months old she would try to bite me if i got near her when she had anything like bones treats and trash lol. All i had to do was let her know i was not scared of her yea i got bit a few times i asked my vet what to do and he told me to put her in a submissive state:confused: So last time she attempted to bite me i simply pushed her onto her side and held her there till she calmed down then i let her up a dog being put on there side is a submissive move and just gently hold them there make sure you hold the head to or they will try to bite you to get up :sad:But needless to say she dosent do it anymore if she has something i dont want her to have i tell her to drop it and she does.:dance:

·
Registered
326 Posts
Duke is one handsome boy:)

I don't think this is just a Beag thing, but a dog thing:)

We had this Prob when we adopted Rolo who is not a beag, but a dash/jack. and trust me I was scared, he would growl snap guard hold on for dear life what he was wanting......CHALLENGING ME......I knew this was not good, so I had to start to be firm but gentle, food what placed in my hand and hand in his food bowl..... bones would be held in my hand as he tried to grab, as he tried to grab I would take it back and say nice *firmly* then we would do this back and forth till he would take it nicely, then once he had whatever, he would not let anyone near it, bull crap on this, first i would lay inches away from him and talk calmly stroking him a little he would look at me with corner of his eye, *like try it it's mine now* as he relaxed a little...I took it, and would say mine pretend I was eating it, and share with him back and forth I did this, for a few months? now he is fine with food aggression I made this clear to him it's mine and I'm sharing with him, this goes for everything......I make him take it nicely and gentle.....once in a while he tries to go back to being the same, but I nip it right away.......(((((when he would have things he was not suppose too as in none food things, I would not get down to his level, I go in full force gentle but stern not saying anything, I just take it, then say NO......then walk away and put it away as he watches.........I don't give him a second look))))))......it took awhile but he is doing really good in this department..................

I hear animals smell fear.............and once I myself overcame oh my gawd I'm scared...or at least did not show it.........he started clueing in I'm not backing down*

*this works and worked for us, others have different ways of doing things, whatever works right?*

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cool guys thanks for all the comments and ideas..i have noticed if i come to him with a happy voice most of the time he will lay down in the submissive state as you guys said, either on his back or on his side..and he does look at me out of the corner of his eye just like you said lol damn lil dogs i love there expressions and im definitely not afraid of him..im gonna try some of these tactics with him and see if he will learn....

He also eats everything he sees, medical goz, ear plugs,1 pair of levis lol all found in his poop...this scared me cause i dont want something to get stuck..i can tell when he ate something wrong sometimes cause he will be really lazy but so far it always passes..maybe its still the puppy in him, i really dont want to take him to the vet for the big chop chop but i doubt im going to stud him out so it might be for the best..might calm some of his aggression to.. but like i said his aggression only comes out when he finds something like trash,goz,ect... i can take his food,toys,bones away from him anytime i want with zero aggression...

well thanks for all the tips ill definitely be putting them all to work, thank for all the comments on my lil beast lol..Ticking im assuming thats his freckles? lol thats one reason i picked him from the litter he was the only one that had it.. ill get back to you guys in a few to let you know how everything goes...

thanks, matt

·
Registered
79 Posts
This might sound like a weird, round-about way of fixing it, but it seems to work for us. Starla does this sometimes, and she didn't start until we started freaking out when she got a hold of something, like a sock. We would do the, "OMG! Mad dash and make a big deal out of getting it back-as though our lives depended on it. She would growl, hold on for dear life and has bitten Eric more times then I can count. So one day, when she came out of the bedroom with a sock, I tried ignoring her. I didn't say it was okay, I just acted like I didn't see it. Within 30 seconds of my not pay attention to her, she dropped it and lost interest. Another tactic that works is getting food out. I don't know about your beagle, but Starla is a pig and can hear a food wrapper a mile away. If I just go the kitchen and pretend like I am getting something to eat, she drops whatever she has to come see if I will potentially drop something.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts