Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I was at the park with Buck and another lady was there with her beagle and Buck was WAY smaller! Her beagle was 9 months old and was heavier and taller. He was not fat or anything like that, just bigger. His head was even bigger, I was amazed at the size difference.

I was just wondering how big your beagles are. Buck is 6 or 7 months old and 13 tall and 15 lbs. Unfortunately, since he was found wondering around in the freezing cold we have no idea what his parents are like.

ETA: My size perception might be a little off because I do have great danes. LOL!

·
Registered
140 Posts
My beagle is just short of 11 at the withers, and weighs about 16 pounds. She's been growing in very nicely. She's 5 and a bit months old now.

She was the runt of the litter, and was visibly much smaller than her littmates. Her head was almost half the size of the others! She was cared for nicely by the breeders, and developed heathily. Since she came home with me, all she's been doing is growing! I guess beagles just come in a range of different sizes!

·
Registered
889 Posts
Daisy is probably between 11-13 and about 18-19lbs. But we adopted her so I don't know if she's mixed with anything else. But even though she's small in stature she certainly has the full beagle bark.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Originally Posted By: boo3792 I guess beagles just come in a range of different sizes!
Beagles come in all shapes and sizes. Jersey is a tall girl with long legs. Her sister is about three inches shorter than Jersey and weighs about 10 lbs. less. They're litter mates and there is that much of a difference in their sizes. Jersey is about 16 inches tall and weighs around 40 pounds (we're trying to get her down to 37). Her mother was a stray who was found pregnant on the side of the road though, so I don't know for sure if she's mixed with something else.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Winston is a brute. He's over 30lbs (I need to have him weighed again) and at least 15 inches. He won't stand still enough to get a good measurement. He's bigger than any other beagle we've come across. He doesn't look really fat, but when he lies down he does. He's been cut back a bit on the kibble.

PS - he'll be a year old June 2

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Moose is quite tall - probably over 16 inches - and has a huge head. Popcorn and Booker are both about 15 inches tall and similar in overall shape, except that Booker's head is almost as big as Moose's and Popcorn's head is teeny-tiny (we have given her the name Head-to-small-for-body). But all three give the general impression of being on the larger end of the beagle range (the girls in width as well...). Then along came Buzz - who is significantly shorter and slighter than the other three. His head is similar in size to Popcorn's but in his case it matches his body size. So we have one tall beagle, two mediums and one small - two with big heads and two with small ones!!

·
Registered
865 Posts
Toby was nine months old when I got him. He was previously being shown by the breeder - he is 12 inches tall and weighed around 19-20lbs. She said he would fill out some more and he did! She has bred some of the top beagles around (PD, the 2003 Westminster top beagle and #3 Hound), so she knows what she is doing! She said Toby's size was just fine for showing and they deal with the so-called standard! So, your beagle definitely doesn't sound off-the-charts small or anything!!

It was Toby's gait that made him not right for the show ring - YAY for me that he didn't have a perfect gait!!! LOL!!!

·
Registered
865 Posts
Oh, and ya know even in show - there are 15 beagles and 13 beagles. I would imagine hunting lines were bred for different game and are all different sizes, too.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies!

I am well aware of the beagle standard 13 and 15 ones. I show great danes so am kind of a nut about reading and studying breed standards. LOL

Like I said, my perception is probably a little skewed because I see him next to a 170 lb. 36 and 130 lbs. 34 great danes. I think my next dog (probably in the near future) is going to be either an American Foxhound or beagle to show. Poor itty bitty Buck is just going to be a small guy, but I love him anyway!

I actually don't even think he is 13, probably closer to 12.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I think there's a big variance when it comes to beagle sizes and weights. Your beagle could just be a little small as a 13 at 15 lbs. I think Bodie gained about a pound a week up until he was about six months old. I think he's hovered around 30 lbs. since and he's a 13. But he's also a Field Trial beagle so he has a stockier build then some of the other beagles we've seen and met. He was breed more for being close to the ground and with a good nose, not being agile. Our neighbor has a 13 and she's about 25 lbs. And she's much faster and more nimble than our stocky Bodie.

I think unless your beagle becomes obese I wouldn't worry to much about it. He probably has a few more months of growing to go.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I love the tiny ones!!

My Chloe is 13 at the withers and 16lb. She's just a little over 2 years now.

And yes, Beagles do come in different sizes and colors. But they are ALL Beagles!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Our puppy's mother was small. She weighed 19 lbs. I think she's in the 13 class. I hope Maggie, the puppy, stays small. I like them small, too. She takes naps with me on the sofa and sometimes gets right up next to my face. I want her to stay small enough to be practically a lap dog. I would love to see a picture of Chloe.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Susi and Snoopy are smaller than our first two beagles, but I think just about any size is normal.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Our Kali is 11 tall and weighs in at 15 lbs. She 2 years old and is FULLY GROWN.

On the other hand, Summer is 15 tall and 33 lbs.

So yes, there is great diversity in beagle sizes, even among the same size breed.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Shiloh B. is my big boy at 16.2 inches and almost 37 pounds - he is almost 6 y.o. No fat just big boned. On the other hand, Shasta B, who is about 2 and a half, is only 14.2 inches and weighs in at 27 pounds. They are actually related by breeding - he is her uncle. That is a pic of them looking up over to your left in the Photo Gallery. She is more petite and finer boned.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Hehe, this topic made me think of my little fatso...Coco is about 16inches and weighting in at about 35lbs...he was 40! The Vet also told me like us...dogs come in different sizes

·
Registered
959 Posts
The others are right, beagles come in all sizes. Our first was a bagel (basset/beagle) he was short to the ground, and much more muscular than the other two; he weighed in at 28 lbs. Cobi, who is seven has long legs, a long body, but a pointy face and small tail, he has dropped 6 lbs this winter, and weighs in a 34. Casie is almost 2, a bred puppy for dog shows. He is taller in the legs, than Cobi, but a short body, box snoot, and a fluffy furry tail. He weighs about 20 lbs. But the were all beagles through and through....Next time you are at the vet, ask if they think yours is too small....they'd be my guide first.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Toby my 1 year old beagle is 30lbs and he definitely is 11-13inch beagle. He does not look like other ppl's beagle, we took him to dog parks a lot and most of them are either bigger or stalkier. But his mom and dad were pretty small, we thought they were puppies
. As long as your doggie is healthy.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts