Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 2 year old female beagle named Rocky. She has always been very trim and muscular. However, about 8 months ago I had her spayed. I was worried that this would make her gain weight because it happend to my moms pugs. I was reassured by the vet that it would not as long as she got regular exercise. Well about 2 months after the proceure, sure enough she started gaining weight. Shes a 14 inch beagle and she went from a consistant 22lbs to 27lbs. That doesnt sound like a lot, but on a lttle beagle its almost a 25% gain in just 2 months. Her brother and her play outside all the time and go for walks everyday. I only feed her weight control Iams and at the recommended amount. Anyone know how I can get this extra weight off of her? Thanks

Sincerly,
Tony, Rocky, and Cooper

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Do you use wet or dry food?
If you use wet, I would recommend the dry.
My vet told me that the weight control dog foods are primarily fillers, so maybe just the regular food of the same brand?
How about treats/table food? If you give them mabye those can be changed or cut down.
Other than that just continue with the exercise!
Best of luck

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
First of all congrats on your Beagle. In term of weight, the gain may have been sudden, but as long as she stays around 27 pounds, that is on the high normal side. Just like with humans, diet and exercise are the only way to trim up. Cutting out the treats also if she gets any.

Best exercise is a nice 20 minute walk 3 or 4 days a week. At one point we made our own food. Nothing special, just inloved a mixture of grits, carrots, peas and chicken. Somewhere on this sight is a way to grade your dogs food to determine if it is high quality or not. I will look for it and the post the link for you.

·
Registered
889 Posts
LOL I only laugh because our male Rocky was always really trim. then the last vet visit (for his regular shots) the sheet came back marked overweight. Poor Rocky! I could see his self-esteem just drop. LOL!!! Okay, well maybe I just felt bad because I knew it was our fault for loading him up on treats. hehe Anyway, so we've cut back and on the treats and are monitoring his weight to see if we need to adjust his breakfast/dinner portions.

·
Registered
889 Posts
By the way, I grew up in Brandon.
Small world!

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
Molly is a tiny beagle also and she ballooned up a bit. I don't think it was from her spay, but from all the treats she was getting in addition to her food. We don't give fattening treats but have to watch how much she gets. I use Iams Naturals for my greyhound and Molly. Never had any issues. I mix a tiny bit of canned sometimes but they get mostly dry kibble with some warm water stirred in.

·
Registered
48 Posts
When we had our Molly spayed the vet immediately warned us to feed her 30% less food and touch wood she hasnt really put on any extra weight.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
The wife and I lived in Brandon for 15 years before moving several years ago. The world shrinks every day

·
Registered
287 Posts
It's tough when we have to give them treats to get them to take their pain medication! This is all good for me to know because Quinn just got spayed on Thursday.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
We had to give one of ours meds every day of his life. The only way we could get him to take the pills was also hiding it in food. We hid the pills in a small piece of low fat string cheese, small piece of hot dog or in a piece of chicken.

Beagles think of very creative methods to get food out of us.

·
Registered
106 Posts
well i'm trying to keep my beagles with strictly dog food diets as if they start eating like me and my family (we are italian), i'm sure they'd quickly reach the overweight mark with the influx of pasta to their diet :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts