Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is Jake. He was killed last June by a hit and run driver. The husband of a vet. assistant found him in the road and took him to the vet. office. His spine was crushed and he couldn't move his legs at all. They tried to save him, but was unable too. He was put down on June 10, 2009. His collar, with ID tag, must have flown off when he was hit because it was not with him when he was found. I searched for him for 2 weeks. I finally found out what had happened and went to the vet. office. The ladies there told me that he was a wonderful dog. They had kept him in the main office with them lying on some pillows. He would wimper whenever he was alone and they said it broke their hearts. Thank God that there are people out there that care so much about animals. To think that they took such great care of him and kept him comfortable is such a blessing to me.

I miss my baby boy everyday. He was sooooo special. No other Beagle in this world could ever take his place.

Rest in peace Jake. We love you!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I am sorry for your loss. I am happy he had someone helping him.

·
Registered
896 Posts
When I worked in an AIDS hospice in the late 90s we had a "house" dog. He was an oversized Samoyed named Dickens. He looked like a cross between a polor bear and a white wolf! I walked him twice a day when at work and he was my constant companion. The new administrator had him euthanized a few weeks after I quit. (He was only 7, but had multiple health issues which cost big $$$.) For some reason, they would NOT allow anyone to adopt him. Anyway, my former director called and let me know the date so I could go and spend a little time with him the night before. I went there at midnight, when I got off work from my new job, and I brought him a bunch of unhealthy treats! He was like a Beagle with his massive appetite! He actually met me at the door, although one of his hind legs was kind of rotating around like a whirley bird! (He had hip dysplasia.) The night nurse said that was the first time he had gotten up in over 24 hours. He was really overweight and we couldn't get the patients to understand they needed to quit feeding him table food. Anyway, at that point it didn't matter so I lay on the floor with him and fed him a bunch of junk. I literally cried until I was gagging when I left there. We had a little ceremony a few weeks later and scattered his ashes around campus, but I kept a few of them. I've lost many dogs over my life, and he wasn't even officially "my" dog, but to this day his death hurts, and his memory haunts me! RIP Dickens.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts