Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I got Murphy's latest CBC count...

Are you sitting down?

420!!!! Not 42,000 or 4,200, but 420!
He was 61,000 4 weeks ago,
51,000 3 weeks ago,
7,500 2 weeks ago,
14,000 last week (after a med decrease)
NOW 420! (after resetting his meds)

All his other counts are good!
As for the meds, we stay the course for a while.

:woohoo:

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Great news. Very happy for Murphy and your family. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Amazing news MD. Murphy is a real fighter and hope he continues to stay fit. :bounce2: :heart:

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Murphy was diagnosed with Chronic Lymphositic Leukemia (CLL) some time ago. This is rare in beagles (only Murphy, right?) He also shows no symptoms of Leukemia.

CLL is a blood cancer that affects his lymphosites (white blood cells) causing them to multiply much faster than normal, causing immature white cells to force out the good white and red blood cells. This is a slow acting cancer.

We had to wait for his lymphosite count (from a CBC test) to crest 60,000 before we could treat him. Well, a month ago they did and we started treatment - pred. & Leukeran. His vet is amazed at how fast his counts dropped. Again, not the usual results. But we are not complaining.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Joe,

Please refresh my memory...which element of the complete blood count are we watching so closely on Murphy? Is the 420 good? Wow, what a difference in his readings, though, whatever it is. Please give him an extra big hug from Henry and I.

Lois,

A CBC (complete blood count) measures red blood cells, hemoglobin, hematacrit, platelets and white blood cells. Also the size of some of these cells and where they are in their developement. (there might be more, it's been a while since I've had to look at them).

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually you have to watch all of it. But the lymphocytes are the main cells to watch and control. Normal lymphocyte count is 1000-1500. Our vet is not too worried about that at present. Too many lymphocytes crowd out the other cells BB listed. Making them too fast causes them to be immature as well, therefore useless for his immune system.

What we need to be careful of is a suppression of his immune system. Which can happen if you have too many or too few white cells. That can also happen after a long period (about a year) of using Leukeran. This is why we have a CBC done every week. You really have to stay on top of his counts and adjust the meds accordingly. As for the the lymphocyte size, presently they are normal. There were some medium sized ones earlier, but no large abnormal ones.

There is no cure for CLL. The whole thing about it is getting the lymphocytes to go into remission (maintaining normal counts and size) and keeping it there. If we don't or can't, CLL (Chronic - slow) will become Acute - fast and there will be nothing we can do. But until then, we fight on.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Joe, what great news. Can remission be around the corner. Keep up the great work Murphy. Murphy may not ever realize how many fans he has in cyberspace, but we're all praying for him. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Premium Member
3,281 Posts
Ok, I think Murphy was just playing tricks on you. You know, the "let's see how Mom and Dad react if I scare them a little..." game. Either that, or Grand Pa snicked in a piece of magical pepperoni....

All the same, this is great news.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I have had the worst day but hearing this fantastic news made me smile !!!

Good for you Murphy !!! :thumbup:

Keep fightin' on :happyhappy:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.