Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nick and I spent the day puppy-proofing the house and now we're exhausted. We basically picked everything (besides furniture...lol) up off the floor and put all chemicals and cleaners up high. I'm sure there are still millions of things the little guy will be able to get into, but I like to think that the most dangerous (excluding power cords, but I can't think of a solution to that one) of it all is fixed.

We've been to the pet store and have gotten a collar, harness, leash (2 actually), crate, food, toys (he is going to be SPOILED!), dishes, grooming things and tons of other stuff. I even got him this little Woolrich wool hat from Target tonight. I don't care if he hates it, I just want to get ONE picture of him in it...lol.

Does anyone remember something that made your life with a puppy (or new pet) easier? Something that may be easily overlooked?

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Good luck with your new arrival. Cant think of anything you have missed. Do you live in a house or flat? If you have a backyard, then make sure it is well fenced off. Indoors if you dont want the pup in every room, then maybe get kiddie gates to put in the doorways.We have a stair-gate, even for older dogs.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Angi, Congrats on Mugsy's arrival. One thing I would reccommend is installing spring loaded baby latches on your kitchen/bathroom cabinets that you don't want him getting into. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/winkingsmiley.gif

·
Registered
865 Posts
It sounds like you are well prepared! I know how excited you must be!! We get Lucky two weeks from today!!

It sounds like Mugsy will be one spoiled, happy hound!!! The only way it should be, imho!!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
What about bookcases? Do you have any that go to the floor? If so, I would take all the stuff off the bottom shelf and maybe even the one above it. Jersey taught me that lesson quickly. Otherwise, it sounds like you're ready. Oooh, baby gates! Did you get any baby gates? You'll want to be able to have an area to block Mugsy into or out of.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Originally Posted By: jen-n-jerseyWhat about bookcases? Do you have any that go to the floor? If so, I would take all the stuff off the bottom shelf and maybe even the one above it. Jersey taught me that lesson quickly. Otherwise, it sounds like you're ready. Oooh, baby gates! Did you get any baby gates? You'll want to be able to have an area to block Mugsy into or out of.
Ha! I had a good solution for this one. After months of not having anything in the bottom 2 shelves, I bough wicker boxes at IKEA and filled them with everything I didn't want Chloe to get, so basically I just rearrange the order in the shelves! worked great /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup2.gif

oh, and remembered about the power cords, since bitter apple worked for me, I sprayed everything including cables with the yucky stuff. Worked too.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the ideas. We have a baby gate to block off the stairs going upstairs. Our basement stairs don't have an official door on them, but there's this really neat gate that swings out and latches...whoever owned the house before us was brilliant!

We have a fenced-in yard, but we still bought a cable to hook him to. It's 30 feet, but avoids the fence and my birdfeeders. I always worry about tying a dog up near a fence, as one of our neighbors' dogs jumped the fence while being tied and hung itself. So we spent a great deal of time outside finding the best place for the stake to go...lol. I think I drove Nick crazy.

I will have to see how he takes to cords and my books. Maybe I'll have to invest in some of the bitter apple stuff. Is it just in a spray bottle or something? Can you get it at the pet store?

And I just had a question...but I forgot it. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif I'll probably remember as soon as I walk away from the computer...

·
Registered
605 Posts
As far as the power cords go, google it, because at work we have this hard plastic tubing that goes over our power cords like an accordian sleeve. (I work at a daycare). I'm not sure where my boss got it. It's pretty tough stuff, but I don't know how it would stand up to a puppy. Maybe if you put the power cord cover over the cords, then sprayed it with bitter apple, you'd have double protection, lol! Sounds like you've got your bases covered. I adopted an adult beagle mix who had house manners, but Henry's a real chewer and very nosy/potentially destructive. What really worked for me was constant supervision and teaching him what I wanted him to do in the house, like 'lay down', 'get your bone', 'let's play', stuff like that. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
You must be so excited!

Daisy loves bitter apple, so if you can find a way to test it with Mugsy then try it first. The trainer at my local PetSmart let me try it out with her. She actually liked all of the stuff that they sold to deter dogs from chewing things. Then, the trainer recommended men's Right Guard spray deodorant. The smell is so strong to them, it keeps them away. It's not too pleasant for us humans either but when it dies down for us it's still really strong to the dog and it won't hurt them. It has kept her from chewing the couch and chair.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I've seen the power cord covers at Target in their hardware department. I know that home improvement stores usually sell them as well. It's usually used to cover things like cable or speaker wire. Then you can paint it to match the walls and you can't see the wires going along the ceiling or floorboards.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Blue loved chewing carpet and still does some days. He also chewed two lap top cords, but we were fortunate and those were the only losses we had. I would suggest definitely adding a heated buddy to your list for going to bed. It was an absolute life saver for us. Blue still carries his around, but the heating pad inside has long since been thrown out since it wasn't washable!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
You will just be surprised at what you don't realize you leave on the floor. My husband was used a power supply to recharge his shaver...top screen chewed off. Also watch access to shoes in the bottom of the closet plus any wicker baskets as they are great to chew on also!!

Am looking forward to hearing about the new baby!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We went to dinner for Nick's 25th birthday tonight and we were passing our "baby's" pictures all around the table. It was so funny. My mom passed one of the pictures to his grandmother and said, "Here is a picture of your great grand-dog." She didn't get it at first...lol.

We are extremely excited. One of our friends, who lives a minute away, has started bringing her jack russell over, just so we can hear his feet running around on the floor. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif We are so strange.

This week should go pretty quick. I only have to teach four days, since I took Friday as a personal day. My Mondays are pretty short...so that will be one easy day down. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

1 - 15 of 15 Posts