Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
40 year ago the mountain blew it's top. Do you remember it and what were you doing when it happened?

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
I read that this morning and cant believe that many years have passed! I was home and watched it on TV.

·
Super Moderator
5,090 Posts
I was 16. I remember that it happened but not what I was doing. Probably heard about it in school.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We were camping south of Moses Lake, Wa. It's about halfway between Spokane and the Mountain. We were on the lake fishing when it blew. At the time we could hear a faint boom. We thought that it was either a gun shot or maybe a sonic boom. Moses Lake has an airport that the Air Force will use from time to time. After that the fish stopped bitting. A dark cloud started to slowly approach from the south west. We never had a radio in the boat so we just thought it was normal storm. After a time Fish and Wildlife stopped us checking for licenses but he never said anything about the eruption. It wasn't too long after that that we retuned to the campground. Everyone was busy picking up their camps and loading their boats. It was about then that the ash started to fall and the lightening started from all the static. That was kind of cool cause the lightening was different colors from the ash. Reds, blues, and green.

The fun part was the drive home. It was about 140 miles and even though it was the middle of the day it was as dark as midnight. It was quite surreal.

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
How scary. Where was Buddy? Ive been reading that there are concerns again about mount Kilauea since water has collected in the caldera. Like wise if Yellowstone blows we will have a complete disaster in a large area of the U.S.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Wow that is scary - and it must've been surreal driving home!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts