Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Casie is a marvelous dog, and thanks to you all, he is a happy little boy. But this dog is Mr. Destructo. We have bought so many toys for him to play with, tied old ugly socks in knots to play fetch with, got out the old chase it toy with the kibble inside, and he has broken, torn apart everything. Now when the toys are gone, he heads for things that he shouldn't be tearing up, like Cobi. So I am desperate, looking for toys for this little guy to play with and chew on. I've ordered a Kong toy for him, but then I have to have two, so they can have their own, or the Civil War breaks loose. I have had chew bones and that was another grrrrr session. So any ideas on things that have worked for your little chewers?

Cathy J
MOM to Cobi and Casie

·
Registered
847 Posts
We too have an active beagle puppy. He only gets a few hours a day, in the evenings, where he is loose in the house. During this family time, as we call it, we watch him like a hawk. The other thing we do is gather up a bunch of toys and put them in the living room with us. One of us will get on the floor and play with him. Not aggressive play that would get him more wound up, but rather calming play. What I mean, is he loves attention from us. So we're constantly sticking a toy in his mouth while we pet him, rub his belly or sits on our laps. This calms him down and eventually he chews on his toys nicely. Now this doesn't last long, maybe an hour or two. He'll eventually start getting excited again where he's running, jumping, nipping and grabbing shoes or other items around the house. When he starts doing this and is no longer listening to us he goes into his pen which is also setup in the living room. Once he goes in the pen he usually goes to sleep immediately. But by keep the pen in the living room with us it allows him to be close to us and give us a break from having to follow him.

Last night was the very first time where he got tired of playing and lied down on his own. We were very happy to see this.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Might I suggest www.petedge.com. You can buy toys cheap. Jersey destroys her toys quickly so I buy in bulk. Most of the time toys are under $2 (sometimes less than $1 if you're lucky) so I don't care what she does to them.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Surprisingly, old Dickies pants are extremely durable. My brother lent a pair to Java and we were able to create 4 or 5 chew toys out of it. Java has the same issue with destroying or dismantling (I swear, he's the McGuyver dog) every toy he can possibly can. Stuff animals and dental toys are no match for his surgical skills. Ropes are also extremely durable and the flavored ones can provide hours and hours of entertainment.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts