Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im going to be moving from Connecticut to South Carolina in about a month, and of course im bringing my dog with me. Its going to be about a 14 hour car ride any advice brining your dog on a car ride this long?

·
Registered
865 Posts
Yep - what Eleanor said! I've done it many times!

What part of SC are you moving to? I am in the Hilton Head area!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
We like to have a crate in the vehicle so that if we go into a restaurant or something we can crate the dogs. Other than that they usually just snuggle down for a very long nap. Ours love to be in the car and have endured many trips from UT to CA.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Is your dog used to riding in the car? If so, it shouldn't be a problem with many stops along the way. I take Snoopy with me everywhere. Even if it is just a short trip to get gas, run to the store, post office, etc. She LOVES to be in the car so a trip (no matter how long) is not a problem.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Our two have travelled very long distances and just sleep in their crate, which is a large cage in the back of the car. We stop every couple of hours to give them a toilet break and water and keep to their normal meal times. Dont leave them in the car if its hot, when you go to restaurants yourself. On hot days we have picnics at the car and one stays with the dogs whilst the other goes to find a toilet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea Im moving to the Greenville area. I really would like to move to Charelston though! Thanks for the advice everyone. I think im gonna have to put my dog in the crate because even if i use the dog seatbelt, he still moves around a lot and gets it all tangled up.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
We drive to Florida once a year normally, a 14-16 hour drive.

If going straight through, potty and water breaks about every 3 hours or as requested (our tell us they have to go). Controlled water consumption. Make every other stop longer for short walks. Meals at normal times unless car sickness is an issue.

If not, find a dog friendly hotel about 1/2 way, the sames rules apply.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts