Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I share my life (and bed and couches and shoes) with two beagles, Zowie and Ziggy. Because of some unfortunate circumstances, we have to relocate to an apartment for the next while.

I've never lived in an apartment with dogs, so I have no idea what to expect and how to prepare. Zowie is a lazy and quiet old girl, which helps. But Ziggy is a five month old NUTCASE with the vocal chords of a doberman.

I've got them both crate-trained and they sleep happily in their crates when we're gone during the day. Ziggy doesn't make any noise when alone, except some whimpering now and then.

Tell me it'll be okay!!! Ziggy's getting the Big Snip in two weeks and we're praying that it takes the edge off of his maniac tendencies.

If any of you have any advice for me, I would appreciate it so much.

Tamara

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I don't have any real advice except to say that you will be getting more exercise now because they will need you to go out walking with them a couple times a day to help them get rid of their energy. I'm sorry you are having to change your living situation. I've been there before and I could not wait to get back into a house. Apartment life isn't bad, but I love having space for all my things and my four legged friends.

·
Registered
847 Posts
You really won't know how they'll respond until you're there. But to what Donna said, regular exercise will have a lot to do with it. If they, more specifically Ziggy, can't get daily walks that will probably make them act out i.e. bark.

As for the neutering helping, I doubt you'll see much of a difference. We just did Bodie, same age as Ziggy, a couple weeks ago and he's no different.

Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Yep, I didn't much behavioral effects from Java's neutering either. I'm sure it was more of a preventative measure for future dominance issues as well as health issues. I lived in a townhome before moving into my house, and Java worked out fine--but he is a pretty quiet beagle. I'd try to leave as much distraction as possible in Ziggy's crate to keep him entertained.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Good luck with the big move. Difficult even without dogs. Yep, you will have to find time for some long walks. For me the worst thing would be getting up in the middle of the night, whenone of them has to go out. Still, many members live in flats so it should be possbible to adjust.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I live in an apartment with Jersey. She has separation anxiety and cries like she's being tortured if I leave her alone, so I have to take her to doggy day care. If your guys are quiet and don't make a lot of noise to disturb neighbors, the rest is easy to deal with. It will take more work on your part but it's not like it's an impossible feat. Extra walks and such to get the pent up energy out but nothing too bad. We have no problems with that part and it's nice for us to get out and get some fresh air ourselves. Trips to the dog park help too. As I said, we have issues with Jersey and separation anxiety, but other than that I don't have any problems with her being in an apartment. As Angela said, the worst part is having to get up in the middle of the night, get dressed, and go downstairs in the cold/heat/rain/whatever, when Jersey needs to go out in the middle of the night. That's a job for her daddy though. If you have a choice, take a first floor apartment for that reason alone.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I live in an apartment (well, NYC after all). Chloe does have separation anxiety, but we manage. I exercise her as much as I can and never leave without giving her something to munch on (usually a stuffed kong). I know from the neighbor next door that she is occasionally whines for a few minutes, and then calms down.

As opposed to Mike (Jersey's daddy) I don't take her out in the middle of the night. She holds it and since she is usually in her crate at night, I don't worry, she just sleeps. I do take her out in the morning first thing, of course.

I'm sure you'll do fine!

·
Registered
421 Posts
i live in an apt with my sophie. she doesn't make any noise, so i don't have to worry about that. however, many people in my bldg have dogs. lots of them don't pick up after them. now i always have dog poop on my shoes. you can't see it in the dark.
one thing you may or may not like is, everyone will love your dogs if they are freindly, and during peak periods, they all will want to shower them with affection. sophie loves it, but she has no concentration what so ever. one apt tip that is not dog related:

whenever i move into a new place i make as much noise as i can for at least 2 weeks. it raises everyone's tolerance level, and they usually put up with more from me after that.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Originally Posted By: cheezyridr

whenever i move into a new place i make as much noise as i can for at least 2 weeks. it raises everyone's tolerance level, and they usually put up with more from me after that.
Love it!!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
My niece recently moved to an apartment with her 70 pound German Sheppard and she is less than 2 years old, so still with lots of energy. They walk Roxy a lot to give her plenty of activity and it is working out great for them.

Good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts