Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi what a great forum this is, I am hoping for some opinions on how would be the easiest way to transport my beagle. We are moving 1200 miles away, it will be a 3 (long days) drive or a 2 hour plane ride and a 2 hour ferry ride.
Our beagle (Boomer) is a barker and barks in the vehicle, also gets car sick, etc. I am wondering if it would be easier on him to ship him by air? Has anyone ever had any experience moving their beagles? The vet said he would give us sedatives for him. I would think that a plane ride would be a very traumatic experience for any dog.
Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks
Boomergirl

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I'm not sure my advice isn't a bit biased as the Bagel travels well and we vacation together and I hate to fly. It would be nothing for Bagel to move 1,200 miles - he's been on several vacations where we drive 500/600 a day, stay at a Motel 6, and the are off the next morning. Knowing my bias, I still think traveling with the pack would be less traumatic than flying for Boomer. If you have time, try taking Boomer on short car rides to fun places to get him more acustomed to riding in a car and hopefully overcome his car sickness. Bagel says a $1.00 double cheesburger, hold the bun, at McDonalds is a fun short car ride.
I would stop at lot's of rest stops, let Boomer stretch his legs. Bagel and I delivered a rescue to New Mexico and the dog wasn't used to traveling in a vehicle. We stopped for about 10 minutes every hour or so for whizz and water breaks and while the rescue was a little green, we made it without any major problems. I'm sure with his pack there, Boomer will survive.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I haven't traveled far with my beagle, but i am currently working with people who have traveled with their dogs from Japan, Korea, etc. So i ask them how is with them on the plane?
It never sounds like an ideal. Some airlines will not let you fly if the desitination temp. is above a certain amount. They are on the cargo area....i can't imagine that it is comfortable. Anyhow, one of the guys mentioned that there are services (it is costly, maybe $800, but this was for overseas) that you can hire a company to fly the dog, the feed them, walk them etc. so it isn't as traumatic as flying.

I would drive. Use the sedative...bring a nice doggie bed or carrier, stop for lots of walk and play and it will be over quick.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I would definitely drive. Planes are very loud for them and such a different experience would definitely freak her out without you right there with her. I would definitely try the sedatives. Also, maybe start taking her on short car trips to get more used to being in the car. Anyway, good luck and I hope it works out well for you guys!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
First... Welcome to the BW pack!

As for flying, Its more than 2 hours. Its closer to 3 in totsl flight time alone. Then you have to be at the airport prior too take-off, then unloading and pickup afterwards. I don't even want to bring up flight delats.

Questions:
- Will the airline fly a sedated dog? Some will not.
- What happens of Boomer gets air sick in flight? You will have to deal with that mess upon landing.
- Is the area for live animals heated and pressurized?

1200 miles CAN be done in one day. I have done it, several times. Its not as bad as it sounds. Philadelphia, PA to Tampa, FL is roughly 1200 miles. Thats 16-17 hours, including gas, food and potty stops (breaks and walks every 3-4 hours). Worst case, do just one overnight. It does make the drive easier.

Myself, I would rather have him by my side sedated, then trusting him to a baggage handler.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I have to add, that if your beagle is less than 20 lb (not likely, but some are), you can fly with him in the cabin inside a Sherpa bag. 2-3 hours is not so bad, and he can stick his head out without suffering too much claustrophobia.... and you can pet him and reassure him.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Don't know if this is any help, but we moved 900 miles with 3 dogs - one was a 90# Chow cross, one a 50# Keeshond, and the third was a 10# poodle. We stopped at a motel 1 night - and had frequent rest stops to walk the furkids. Also had my 2 grandkids, my mom and my daughter and we brought 2 cars because we were moving here from CA. I wouldn't hesitate at all to drive with one dog! I'd much rather drive than ship them. I agree with Murphy's Dad - I'd much rather have him with me. The vet can give you something to ease the carsickness. I have shipped several dogs and had several shipped to me - and either way, I'm a nervous wreck until I know the dog is safe and sound.

IF you do decide to ship the dog, most vets now will NOT tranquillize them for air shipment, so it is stressful for them.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Originally Posted By: bobBagel says a $1.00 double cheesburger, hold the bun, at McDonalds is a fun short car ride.
I had to laugh at that, Hotdog loved to go to Dairy Queen and get a kiddy cone! lol

You mention Dairy Queen and he was at the door! lol

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
I've never traveled with any of my dogs, so I don't have any advice for you. But I do want to say welcome and wish you good luck with whatever you decide. Please let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
865 Posts
Just got back from a 2200 mile roundtrip with one dog on the trip there and two dogs on the trip back! We did it non-stop on the way there and stopped a night on the way back. If you can handle one long night, I definitely agree with driving as fast as possible!! I find the hotel to be the hardest part. Mine don't get carsick, so I haven't had to deal with that.

BTW, welcome to BW!!! Good luck with your move! Keep us posted!

·
Registered
667 Posts
I have had some experience with this. We moved from Chicago to Southern Cali last summer. My Snoopy is a rescue and terrified of everything, so there was NO WAY I was going to put him on a plane, he would come out dead, I knew for sure.

So, we got a lady that transported him in her van over 4-5 days with other dogs (rescues going to another shelter) She stayed in doggie hotels, fed them, walked them and he did just great!!

I dont like the idea of putting them in cargo, it is loud, stuffy, NOT temp controlled (so you cant do it in extremely Hot or Cold weather) and there is no airflow...I couldnt imagine putting my dog through that

Also I have heard of several deaths of dogs that were sedated and put in cargo. I wouldnt want him to be out of site if he sedated, worried he would stop breathing

So....I say drive it too!!

Amanda

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
All our beagles have gone on long car trips. We go at least once a year to the UK, taking 3 nights as we dont like long hauls. No problem at all. I would hate to put ours on a plane.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi everyone, thanks so much for all of your comments and stories. That helped me to make the decision to drive him down, he would be terrified of riding in a plane, I am sure he will be ok once we get on the road, he mostly barks when we take off and stop somewhere.
Boomergirl
ps: Everyone's beagle is soooo cute, but aren't they all?
Will let you know how we made out, we are not moving til mid June, maybe by then I'll have him used to car rides more!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts