Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would reply to the Beagle rage thread if I knew what to say... How sad.

We had a kitten for a while with the same story. I’m talking, lunging at you from the other side of a glass door. We were somewhere in the middle of “Charlie” (Manson’s) list of adopters. A few months after he left us to try someone else, I saw him in the adoption cages at Petsmart. We stared, unblinking into each other’s eyes for about 5 minutes. That cat knew me and wanted to make me bleed!... I hope he went on to become a champion mouser in someone’s barn, but he was probably put down.

I‘ve been thinking about this for a while... Sadie uses her mouth allot when we play. Just like dogs will with other dogs. It looks like she’s snapping but she never bites down hard. I sometimes wonder if we should discourage it. She doesn't do it with stangers or children. Just Karen and I.We know dominance is an issue with Beagles. I think we’re doing well with 15 month old Sadie. We are easily able to calm her down when we decide it’s time for “rough” play to end. Even the cats are standing their ground with her. The last time she humped my leg was when I had a cat in my lap. The cat popped her, rapid-fire across the nose, and Sadie went and sat in Mama’s lap.
Sadie is stubborn, but doesn’t act “in charge”. She is easy to stare down, if she’ll look you in the eye at all. I make a point of being above her when I snuggle her sometimes. Pinning her down. She struggles a little, but not too hard. We have always been very touchy-feely with our animals right from the start, and believe it makes them tolerant and affectionate. Sadie is both. (Didn’t work with Charlie cat.)
We don't mind the behavior at all. Is it normal? Or could it turn into something else later?

Also, does anyone else’s Beagle get grumpy shortly before bedtime?
We’ll be watching TV on the couch. Sadie is there with us. When it starts getting close to bedtime, she will get all fidgety. She does the nesting thing, (Digging at the cushion and going in circles.) but she also gets “mouthy” with us. It isn’t aggressive at all, but more than say, puppy teething. No pressure to speak of. Just kind of... “bratty“. Like, “Stop petting me! I don’t like it right now!” It reminds us of a human child trying to stay awake. This goes on for a while, then she curls up in a ball right up against one of us and goes to sleep.

·
Registered
146 Posts
IMO this should definitly be discouraged. It can and probably will get out of hand eventually. I can literally grab any one of my dogs by the lower jaw and they will absolutely not bite down. When she gets like this push her away and ignore her for a while. Stop petting, playing or even speaking to her. If she continues to try to nip growl in her face and show some teeth. How old was Sadie when you got her? I had a foster dog once that though that nipping was an appropriate form of affection. We think she was taken from her mamma very young and never learned the proper social graces. She learned in short order though and is now a very happy little beagle.

·
Registered
794 Posts
grumpy at bedtime? Oh yes...we will try to hold Polly on our lap and literally hold an appropriate chew toy in her mouth so she can chew on it...then she usually cuddles up and goes to sleep.
She is nearly 4 months old.
she also gets a little growly if you mess with her much...like last night I tried to clip her nails while she was asleep. I got 3 of them done.... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Grumpy is an understatement. When Caesar would sleep in the evening on the sofa he would growl if we touched him. I even ended up with bites on my arms. We started putting a treat in his bed to get him up without touching him. Now we just say "Caesar, bedtime". And he leaps up and runs into the kitchen, sits in his bed and waits for his cookie. He "digs" on the sofa near bedtime too. And he's restless. You're right, it's like a restless child near bed time.

·
Premium Member
2,104 Posts
Mouthy dog, hmmm. We have 2 dogs that you would consider mouthy. Sam, who is a shepard, lab, husky, wolf mix. He is coming 10 years old. He's never offered to bite us or any one. We've been able to take a freshly killed ground hog from him. But, he likes to put your hand in his mouth. He never bites down or he'll just come up and bump you with his mouth. I know we probably should have discouraged this, but, we didn't. Murphy was 5 1/2 weeks old when I got her. I know she lacks social skills. When we play she sometimes bites AT my nose. I don't think she really wants to bite it. I've often stopped her from doing it. Then she started licking my nose. But, I know she would never bite any one on purpose.

So, a puppy being mouthy. Yeah, you should probably 'nip' that in the bud. (No pun intended) :rolleyes: Grumpy at bedtime? Nope, never saw that in any of our dogs. But, they are all individuals.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmm...
Sadie has never growled at us. She growls at her stuffed toy if we tug with her and get her worked up enough. But even then we can take anything away from her, anytime. Toy, rawhide, food bowl...
She only occasionally listens to the "drop it" command. And she'd rather we chased her when she has something, (Yes, we try to act uninterested in that game until she gives up on it.) but she never gets nasty.
Like I said, we touch and cuddle our animals allot, often in a restraining way.
It's almost like she's doing it back to us, but she doesn't have hands. So she uses her mouth.
She gets really excited when I get home. I kinda like the little nips she gives me as she zooms by. It seems very... happy?
I raised a 150 pound Wolf/Malamute mix years ago, without any problems. Maybe I worry too much about my little bundle of joy.

Are Polly or Caesar slow to wake up?
Sadie acts like she's coming back from the dead when we first get up in the morning or after being in her crate all day. First the "Do I have to?" look. Then several minutes of yawning and stretching... Like she's 90 years old or something.

we3beagles,
We got Sadie when she was 9 weeks old.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Karebru:
Are Polly or Caesar slow to wake up?
That is so funny that you say that! :biglaugh:

Henry is always the last one of us out of bed...he often comes lumbering down the stairs 10 minutes after the rest of us.

And when we try to get him out of bed, he rolls over on his back and bats at us with his paws and makes this whining sound.

Sometimes when we don't have time for His Highness to come down at his leisure, I pick him up and put him on the floor. Then he just goes out with the rest of them.

He is so funny! I love him so much!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Booker hates to get up in the morning too. Her former owners said she was always the first to get up in the house each morning (at 5 am or so), but in the 6 years we have had her we have seen NO indication that she would EVER want to get up at such an insane hour!

Sometimes we even have to upend her bed and sort of "roll" her out of it in order to actually get her up and going in the morning... otherwise she would still be snoring away happily at noon!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts