Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 3 kids (ages 10, 7, and 4) and Biscuit wants to "mouth" them constantly. Since she's been home, not biting and potty training have been my first two priorities. The thing is, she's learned already not to mouth me, but she acts different with the kids. She's not aggressive or anything, but the thing is even if my oldest daughter tells her "no" she won't listen. Because of this, my two younger sons don't want to have anything to do with her, because they think she's being mean to them.

So, as the "leader" of this pack, do I have to tell her "no" for them??? (I have been by the way, hoping she'd get the message, but it doesn't seem to be doing any good). It's like she can't resist chewing on their little stinky feet.

I just don't know what to do. My middle son tries to be brave, but the minute she nips at him, he goes in his room and shuts the door. My youngest son has to be carried everywhere because he doesn't want her to bite him.

the thing is, I know she's not trying to hurt them or anything, but even if I explain this to them, they're still afraid.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
If you are the one she listens to, then be the alpha and correct her. She will get the idea. Also your kids need to understand she is not being mean, she is just playing.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Oh dear, it must be a problem for your younger kids. But as MD says, if she listens to you then you have to do the training. Be very firm and it will work out in the end.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've had the same problem with Snoopy. He's good with me and my husband but with the kids ( the oldest of which is 5) he's too nippy and my son doesn't even like him because of it. I'm sick of hearing the whingy "Snoopy NOooooo". He did get bitten by an adult golden retriever about a year ago ( totally unprovoked) so I can understand him being wary, but I do want him to like our pets.
Snoopy is getting better now that he understands "leave it" and "stay" but in the mornings he's still too excited when everyone first gets up. Thankfully his baby teeth have all gone now and the chewing is a lot less...now he's more licky and he has a "leaning" habit /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
Hang in there...correct him when he does it - teach him basic obedience training and look forward to that teething stage to be over /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
324 Posts
When my Shiloh he had this problem bad ! I read that beagles love to play by mouthing a lot and one way I was able to break Shiloh of it . I went to Dollar Store and purchased some spray bottles to place in different places in the house. These bottles spray a fine mist. Beagles can not stand to get their face wet so everytime he bites I grab bottle and squirt his nose. He doesn't like that so if he doesn't bite,I don't squirt. After a while I don't even have to squirt,just reach for bottle and he knows what comming. And pretty soon he will identify "bite", "water squirt in face" so don't bite. But if you should try this make sure it is fine mist and don't soak his face. Beagles get ear infections real easy so try not to wet his ears. Just a fine mist want hurt him/her.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Spray bottles work too. Good idea. There is always the shaker can as well. Its a coffee or soda can with loose stuff inside (stones, pennys, anything that makes noise when shook). He mouths you, shake the can. Most pups don't like that either.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I had a waterpistol for Snoopy's biting/barking ( only those two things to avoid too much confusion). It was working really well esp. for the barking, but then the old cheapo waterpistol broke. Must go and buy another /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
The spray bottle worked great for us also. She got to the point that we just had to mention the bottle. I don't keep one out anymore. Once the jumping and nipping habit was broken she never did it again.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by jassy:
The spray bottle worked great for us also. She got to the point that we just had to mention the bottle. I don't keep one out anymore. Once the jumping and nipping habit was broken she never did it again.
Same here! I still keep 1-2 out but haven't had to use them in a while. Usually my movement in their direction gets across the message. :thumbup: Of course Shiloh always voices his opinion of the move. :rotflmao: I have used them from time to time to stop him from stealing clothes out of laundry basket,etc.

·
Registered
115 Posts
We used an old tin that mints came in filled it with extra nuts and bolts from my husbands work bench and taped it with electrical tape. Our whole house is tile so I would just drop the can where he was or shake it and he would get the idea. Just one week and I would just reach for the can or give it a light shake and he would stop.

I would like to not that we have not use the can for many months because it went missing...

I found the can and all its contents strewn in back part of the property a few weeks ago. I am guessing he really didn’t like it!

LOL

·
Registered
324 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by We Love Zeus:
We used an old tin that mints came in filled it with extra nuts and bolts from my husbands work bench and taped it with electrical tape. Our whole house is tile so I would just drop the can where he was or shake it and he would get the idea. Just one week and I would just reach for the can or give it a light shake and he would stop.

I would like to not that we have not use the can for many months because it went missing...

I found the can and all its contents strewn in back part of the property a few weeks ago. I am guessing he really didn’t like it!

LOL
Sounds like something my Shiloh would do! :biglaugh: :biglaugh: I haven't found to much he cannot tear up ! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif :thumbup:

·
Registered
139 Posts
We're having the same problem with Tramp (almost 5 months old now) and our 6 year old daughter. Generally it's when he is excited and wants to play with her like she's another puppy... wiggling around with his mouth open and occassionaly makes tooth contact... or follows her across the room trying to grab onto her skirt. As the 'leader' I jump in and correct him but there is one thing I have found that seems to be helping... we have our daughter be the one who measures out the food twice a day and put it in his bowl, and we encourage her to give him treats (sit, wait, take-it commands). He seems to be treating her more like a pack leader now except when he's really wound up... we're going in the right direction!
:happyhappy:

·
Registered
291 Posts
These are the things that worked for us. Of course every dog is different, so it may or may not work for you.

Do your kids help you train her? She needs to learn that she must listen to them too. Let one of the kids give Biscuit her meals. Teach her to sit in front of her bowl after the child puts it down and wait until the child tells her it's okay to take it. This isn't meant to be a mean thing, so you only have her wait one or two seconds. You could also let them feed her her meal by the handful. Of course you'd need to supervise this closely to make sure she didn't bite them trying to snatch the food away.

Make sure your kids are controlling the game. If it goes too far, they should tell her "enough!" and ignore her immediately. If she won't stop you should step in and place her in a time out, of sorts. When my dog was young, we'd put him in the bathroom for a couple of minutes, because it was a safe place, and seperate from the rest of the place where the rest of us were. When we let him out, we welcomed him like nothing happened.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Have your kids yell owww pretty loud when she starts mouthing even if it doesn't hurt. If she stops for a while reward her with petting or a game, if she does it again stop rewarding and say oww again! I this doesn't affect her,than when she starts mouthing just turn around and walk away and ignore her!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts